Adding Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theirondude

Reaction score
I am experimenting with a Red Ale recipe. The original recipe calls for 1.5 oz chinook at 60 min and 2 oz cascade at 2 min. I brew in an AIOB with an IC and I can chill the wort to 110 deg within 8-10 minutes. I prefer a malty... ish flavor and this recipe is a pinch too bitter, imo. The finish is lacking in hops flavor and what flavor I do get is pretty one dimensional with very little aroma. I carb with DME and bottle age 2-3 weeks. I would like to change the hops addition to the following... 1 oz chinook @ 45min, 2 oz cascade at 20 min, and 1 oz mosaic at 15 min with a dry hop addition of 1 oz mosaic at SG 1.020... I am trying to achieve a multi dimensional hops finish while maintaining a malty brew. What do you think??? Your wisdom is much appreciated.

You will pickup a fair amount of bitter with a 20 and a 15 minute addition and with 15 minutes of boil you won't get much aroma of the Mosaic.
I'd be inclined to stick to 1 oz Chinook for 60, 2 oz Cascade at 2 min and save the Mosaic for whirlpool (170 degrees) for 10 after flameout, or similar.
I haven't plugged this into Beersmith so I'm just going from gutt feel based on your stated preference.
Can you pull the 2 minute addition after 2-min?

You will pickup a fair amount of bitter with a 20 and a 15 minute addition and with 15 minutes of boil you won't get much aroma of the Mosaic.
I'd be inclined to stick to 1 oz Chinook for 60, 2 oz Cascade at 2 min and save the Mosaic for whirlpool (170 degrees) for 10 after flameout, or similar.
I haven't plugged this into Beersmith so I'm just going from gutt feel based on your stated preference.
Can you pull the 2 minute addition after 2-min?
I can pull the cascade after 2 min. It is my understanding that because I bottle age the aroma will quickly dissipate even with a late addition, is this correct? I could be more descriptive with the desired outcome... I would like a malty/bitter forward flowing into a hoppy flavor transitioning into a mildly citrusy/floral finish with a malty flavor... am I asking too much???

Have you thought about using hops in the first wort (not sure, if this is the correct translation for "Vorderwürze") instead of adding while boiling - you might also get more falvours for the nose from that. The cinnook and the cascade seem a good source of plenty of flavours.
So I'd think about something like 2/3 chinook + 1/3 cascade in the first wort, and the rest in the whirlpool - and aiming for a 1:2.5 ratio °P/IBU on that (you just have to do the math on that).
For the maltiness... have you thought about decoction (using it a lot at the moment, because it's fun)? Or maybe a careful (slightly higher) pinch of melanoidin malt (would also bang even more with decoction)?

Back