FIB War Room

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like Goose isn't going to let COVID stop Stoutest in 2021. The email I just got is a little thin on details: two days, March 21 and 28 and "as always, we will be taking safety precautions extremely seriously for tastings and following all CDPH and state guidelines."

I didn't realize that there was a category under CDPH and IDPH guidelines governing nut-to-butt gatherings of neckbeards. Unless this event is being held outside (and maybe it is?), I don't understand how anyone thinks this is a good idea. I could see a tasting event at a cavernous space like Rev, or maybe at Goose's barrel-aging complex, feeling safer but an indoor event at Clybourn? Why not delay it until the fall?

It looks like Goose isn't going to let COVID stop Stoutest in 2021. The email I just got is a little thin on details: two days, March 21 and 28 and "as always, we will be taking safety precautions extremely seriously for tastings and following all CDPH and state guidelines."

I didn't realize that there was a category under CDPH and IDPH guidelines governing nut-to-butt gatherings of neckbeards. Unless this event is being held outside (and maybe it is?), I don't understand how anyone thinks this is a good idea. I could see a tasting event at a cavernous space like Rev, or maybe at Goose's barrel-aging complex, feeling safer but an indoor event at Clybourn? Why not delay it until the fall?
i feel as long as you put the word safe in front of everything, thats all thats needed for around 40% of the population

Honestly, the idea of not having to stand in line and awkwardly point to a beer and mumble, “uh, that one, please” does sound kind of nice.

Still, no thanks.

Tickets for each 90 minute brewer-led tasting session are sold as a pair for a table of two. Each pair ($140 +fees) includes:

2 flights with 2oz pours of each stout from 12+ Chicagoland breweries
2 StoutFest 2021 glasses + swag bags
Chef-curated paired light bites

TASTING TIMES:

11AM
2PM
5PM

BREWERIES
  • Werk Force Brewing
  • Old Irving Brewing Co
  • Maplewood
  • Cruz Blanca Brewery
  • Goose Island Beer Co
  • Goose Island Clybourn
  • Pipeworks
  • Exit Strategy
  • Mikerphone
  • Casa Humilde
  • Hop Butcher for the World
  • Half Acre Beer Co
  • More Brewing
Tasting sessions are sold as tables of 2, so each ticket includes 2 seats and access for 2 people. This event is for ticketed guests and is 21+ only. All guests will be asked for ID upon entry.

This event will be in an outdoor heated tent, so please dress accordingly. Floor plans have been mapped out to meet 6 feet social distancing requirements with limited capacity. Masks must be worn at all times unless eating or drinking. This includes while interacting with staff, using the restrooms and entering/exiting the tent. Hand sanitizer will be available.

Honestly, the idea of not having to stand in line and awkwardly point to a beer and mumble, “uh, that one, please” does sound kind of nice.

Still, no thanks.

Tickets for each 90 minute brewer-led tasting session are sold as a pair for a table of two. Each pair ($140 +fees) includes:

TASTING TIMES:

11AM
2PM
5PM

BREWERIES
  • Werk Force Brewing
  • Old Irving Brewing Co
  • Maplewood
  • Cruz Blanca Brewery
  • Goose Island Beer Co
  • Goose Island Clybourn
  • Pipeworks
  • Exit Strategy
  • Mikerphone
  • Casa Humilde
  • Half Acre Beer Co
  • More Brewing
Tasting sessions are sold as tables of 2, so each ticket includes 2 seats and access for 2 people. This event is for ticketed guests and is 21+ only. All guests will be asked for ID upon entry.

This event will be in an outdoor heated tent, so please dress accordingly. Floor plans have been mapped out to meet 6 feet social distancing requirements with limited capacity. Masks must be worn at all times unless eating or drinking. This includes while interacting with staff, using the restrooms and entering/exiting the tent. Hand sanitizer will be available.
LOL.

Nope. $140 plus fees for 90 minutes? Take me back to 2011.

Still, no thanks.

TASTING TIMES:

11AM
2PM
5PM

BREWERIES
  • Werk Force Brewing
  • Old Irving Brewing Co
  • Maplewood
  • Cruz Blanca Brewery
  • Goose Island Beer Co
  • Goose Island Clybourn
  • Pipeworks
  • Exit Strategy
  • Mikerphone
  • Casa Humilde
  • Half Acre Beer Co
  • More Brewing

People will still drink their samples while standing directly in front of the pouring tables, I know it.

People will still drink their samples while standing directly in front of the pouring tables, I know it.
It’s also not StoutFest if you can’t play the game of chicken where you try to get a sample without offering up a ticket.

Do they even do tickets anymore? I cannot remember the last time I was at a StoutFest.

does alesong make a wooden hell or BA hi-fi rye? as an aging OM FIB, pumped to see some of their beers coming into the market. I'm not positive, but I think they're both me and bryan's first local craft beers we had as like 22 year olds.

Here's what's coming first drop:

Maestro - a barrel aged Barleywine
Kriek - a sour ale aged in oak with cherries & vanilla
Mocha Rhino Suit - an imperial milk stout aged in bourbon barrels with coffee and cocoa
Gose Añejo - a sour ale aged in tequila barrels with lime, orange, sea salt and agave
Touch of Brett - a Citra-hopped saison fermented with Brett aged in French oak
Rackhouse Reserve - a blend of barrel aged beers

Here's what's coming first drop:

Maestro - a barrel aged Barleywine
Kriek - a sour ale aged in oak with cherries & vanilla
Mocha Rhino Suit - an imperial milk stout aged in bourbon barrels with coffee and cocoa
Gose Añejo - a sour ale aged in tequila barrels with lime, orange, sea salt and agave
Touch of Brett - a Citra-hopped saison fermented with Brett aged in French oak
Rackhouse Reserve - a blend of barrel aged beers
can you confirm/deny the addition of caraway in the barleywine? wait, was he gone from flossmoor by the time of hi fi, was that mr. blue island? lurchingbeast you know south suburban history. ****, probably since lost weekend....OK, whateve, give me the wooden hell maestro.

can you confirm/deny the addition of caraway in the barleywine? wait, was he gone from flossmoor by the time of hi fi, was that mr. blue island? lurchingbeast you know south suburban history. ****, probably since lost weekend....OK, whateve, give me the wooden hell maestro.

Shimkos made HiFi and BA HiFi and I thought they were making it under the name Lost Weekend at Blue Island but it might not have caraway, thus making it a completely different 30% rye Barleywine aged in bourbon barrels.

Last edited:
Oh and Second City's Raspberry Lemonade mead is phenomenal. I'll have to make another trek to Orange & Brew to see if they have any more.

One Lake Brewing's rooftop is going to be a banger of a spot when the weather turns. The whole place looks nice, though only the rooftop is open right now. Beer was all solid to great and the burger was excellent. I added bacon and the egg and didn't regret it. The bacon was like charcuterie board quality pancetta. Service was iffy but hey, it was the last seating time of the night and we all have long days in the current climate. Highly recommend that place.

One Lake Brewing's rooftop is going to be a banger of a spot when the weather turns. The whole place looks nice, though only the rooftop is open right now. Beer was all solid to great and the burger was excellent. I added bacon and the egg and didn't regret it. The bacon was like charcuterie board quality pancetta. Service was iffy but hey, it was the last seating time of the night and we all have long days in the current climate. Highly recommend that place.

We got takeout from there last night!

I like the rooftop and have enjoyed the food. But I have yet to be impressed by any of the beers. Got a crowler of mild and thought it was Fine. Have a crowler of the Cali common for today, which is my favorite thing from them.

We got takeout from there last night!

I like the rooftop and have enjoyed the food. But I have yet to be impressed by any of the beers. Got a crowler of mild and thought it was Fine. Have a crowler of the Cali common for today, which is my favorite thing from them.

My group really liked the cream ale and I personally loved the Lando IPA. Couldn't believe there was no fruit added. The Russian Imperial Stout was pretty average though.

danbanana do you live around that area? It's not an area I get out to all that often and was wondering what else we should have hit. I love Kinslahger.

We also stopped at Oak Park Brewing and while we liked the space and the appetizers we had - lemon pepper wings were legit and the jalapeno poppers were the spiciest poppers I've ever had - the beers were really bad. The English porter was downright undrinkable.

danbanana do you live around that area? It's not an area I get out to all that often and was wondering what else we should have hit. I love Kinslahger.

We also stopped at Oak Park Brewing and while we liked the space and the appetizers we had - lemon pepper wings were legit and the jalapeno poppers were the spiciest poppers I've ever had - the beers were really bad. The English porter was downright undrinkable.
Yeah I'm in Oak Park. I'm about a mile NW of One Lake. I would give them a ton of business but I really haven't loved their beer. That said, I was there for their opening and things definitely weren't up to snuff at that time. I hated Lando and haven't tried it since, but maybe kinks were worked out.

Kinslahger is great. Maybe not on the lager level of Dovetail but they're local, treat their people well, do delivery now, and are just good folks.

Oak Park Brewing is indeed not good.

Exit Strategy is worth a stop in the area, too.

Damn. I like Hop Butcher well enough but I don’t see myself getting up to Balmoral for limited releases. Good for everyone involved even though I’ll never get to a HA party in the Lincoln brewery now. Ah well.

(Link to media)

Not surprising that they are leaning fully into Balmoral. Lincoln was great, but the second they started serving food it was a royal pain to actually get seated with any group of more than 1. Also Lincoln had zero outdoor space, which we now know is more important than ever.

Good for Hop Butcher as well. That's a nice location that will be a nice stepping stone for them.

Looking for recs:

My wife and I are going to take an actual ****ing vacation this weekend: a few days in Galena where we can do outdoor walking and just get the **** away from kids for a while.

Any thoughts on breweries between the city and there? It looks like Penrose has gone all hype styles, and in general I'm not particularly interested in hazies or pastry stouts. I have heard Riverlands is good and it looks like that they have a couple WCIPAs available. Anything else, preferably along 90 or even further out west, that might be worth trying?

E: Also food recs?

Looking for recs:

My wife and I are going to take an actual ****ing vacation this weekend: a few days in Galena where we can do outdoor walking and just get the **** away from kids for a while.

Any thoughts on breweries between the city and there? It looks like Penrose has gone all hype styles, and in general I'm not particularly interested in hazies or pastry stouts. I have heard Riverlands is good and it looks like that they have a couple WCIPAs available. Anything else, preferably along 90 or even further out west, that might be worth trying?

E: Also food recs?

Art History Brewing in Geneva is great for traditional lagers. Really enjoyed both the Bavarian and Czech Pilsners. They also have a bitter on cask and a WCIPA.

Art History Brewing in Geneva is great for traditional lagers. Really enjoyed both the Bavarian and Czech Pilsners. They also have a bitter on cask and a WCIPA.

Oh nice. That's up my alley and it looks like they have a good selection of to-go stuff.

73BB408A-3C46-4841-8244-E68EAB5EF1C5.jpeg

Cognac barrel On and On from Revolution.

A. It’s very, very tasty. B. I’m just testing all of these new portrait modes on my phone.

I love to drink massive barrel-aged beers in the middle of summer:
SUMMERTIME DEEP WOOD RELEASE
Here is the news you've all been waiting for! Supermassive Café Deth and Strawberry Jacket join V.S.O.J. in the summertime Deep Wood Series release. Preorders will begin Tuesday, July 13th followed by the release the weekend of July 16-18. More details to come on the release, scheduled preview parties around town, and limited edition V.S.O.J. merch.

VSOJ isn't for me but I thought Strawberry Jacket was just delightful. Supermassive Cafe Deth is always a winner, too.

I love to drink massive barrel-aged beers in the middle of summer:
SUMMERTIME DEEP WOOD RELEASE
Here is the news you've all been waiting for! Supermassive Café Deth and Strawberry Jacket join V.S.O.J. in the summertime Deep Wood Series release. Preorders will begin Tuesday, July 13th followed by the release the weekend of July 16-18. More details to come on the release, scheduled preview parties around town, and limited edition V.S.O.J. merch.

VSOJ isn't for me but I thought Strawberry Jacket was just delightful. Supermassive Cafe Deth is always a winner, too.

The release of all three at once have me pondering the economics of a July weekend in Chicago. The Sox are in town too, it's been a while since I went there & booed the starting nine...

View attachment 10840

VSOJ still 100% worth it at that price point
the question i have (is beeraficionado still around) is what triggers the points program presale link? I got one once, but never again. I spent like over 1K in pandemic bucks on pick ups every month, but never got the emails. was it 2k in pandemic dollars that needed to be spent?

the question i have (is beeraficionado still around) is what triggers the points program presale link? I got one once, but never again. I spent like over 1K in pandemic bucks on pick ups every month, but never got the emails. was it 2k in pandemic dollars that needed to be spent?
My email for Cuvee du grace went to my spam and I missed it. Maybe take a look in there? Fingers crossed I qualify for this one after not buying any CdG from them

Back