FastFerment Conical Fermenter PRESALE- $90 Shipped!!! Only 1000 units!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its here!!! Its here!! Putting this to good use tomorrow. Starter started.

1412805050464.jpg

Just got this e-mail, haven't received a tracking number yet either, so hopefully it will get here.

Hello Everyone,

All orders have been sent to ship. If you haven't received a UPS email with your tracking # it should arrive shortly. UPS is dealing with big order so it's taking them some time.

If you can't find your brackets, they are under the cardboard insert in the bottom of the box, we had to do this to avoid scratching the FastFerment.

Thanks for getting involved!

Cheers,
The FastRack Team

Ok, makeshift stand with SWAMBO's plant stand and a 5gl bucket cut down until I get a stand. Will fill it with s Double Mt. IRA clone in about an hr.
Brew on........

Filled and waiting for action......
Go buy extra teflon tape. Had to keep re-taping after leaks. Need to make sure that you wrap threads better than I did the first few times.

Looks like you have the valve to the collection ball closed. Do you think it's better to open it later? The directions suggest opening the valve immediately.

hey everyone, I originally posted the note far below and thought of deleting it based on my recent check up on my brew. I stand corrected on my original post! ALL of the trub fell into my collection ball! Yes, ALL of it... so much so, I had enough beer in the ball to take a Final Gravity reading without even having to access the main tank...

here was the thing... I did have a LOT of trub that I put into the fermenter, thinking "its going to fall out anyway"... well, I had so much that obviously the ball could not collect it all. so when I finally started to purge and replace my collection ball (3x), I was 'thinking' that the trub on the side walls would never make it into the collection ball.. well, guess what? tonight I checked and as I said, all the trub fell out... nothing but clear, clear mothers milk in that thing!

going to dry hop her tomorrow and report back when she's kegged!

anyway, my first post is below... I just didn't want anyone to be too concerned if the trub didn't apper to fall out, it will... however, if you have a lot of sediment and yeast cake, pull some out after fermentation stops for a few days...

good luck!

================
as far as dumping the collection ball goes, I'm not certain all the trub will come out.. a best practice may be to try to get as much clear wort as you can with as little trub as you can so that you can be certain that the trub will fall out... Right now I have a lot of Trub stuck to the sides of the conical which will never make it out and into the collection ball... If this isn't something I can find a way to remedy in the next few batches, i would be very disappointed since I bought two of them..

I wont be quick to judge yet though... it's a new product and it's the people who's idea in this community who will perfect the process. I cant wait until more people post tips and tricks on this product!

by the way, the bucket idea is ideal. I did the same thing the first time I used it. no problem using the tall bucket or moving it around when full.

cheers

I am thinking that I will wait so I get more trub resting on the bottom.
What do you think redwing_al?

cheers

i purged the collection ball 3 times after I thought fermentation was complete... then when I thought the rest would not come out, I let it set since I intended to dry hop anyway... well, checked it tonight and all the trub was out..

so, I'd say to let it ferment fully then when you think it's done, pull out as much trub as you wish, but I'd leave at least a little to drain back into the ball until you are ready to rack.. I think the idea here is to have as much sediment drain back to the ball with gravity - and it will. I suppose you could purge and replace the ball as often as you wish, but keep in mind you'll be pulling out the fruit of your precious work as well!

Good luck!

I am thinking that I will wait so I get more trub resting on the bottom.
What do you think redwing_al?

cheers

$165 of our brewing upgrade! I was one of the first pre-orders so I was given an extra collection ball, plus I ordered the entire upgrade kit.

Yes it threads in, with a piece of tape it think it will seal easily and little torque, with a little care I don't foresee a problem and if I do I'll cut it flush, plug it and put a thermowell through the lid, At the price you're not going to get stainless;) I'm happy enough, looking to putting it to use.:mug:

I'd rather they gave an option for an upgraded stainless thermowell.

I'd gladly pay the extra ~15-20 bucks or whatever it is than use brass.

Or atleast hear from them that its lead free brass, but i would be very surprised if thats the case.

Brewhardware has threaded thermowells. Although it would be nice to not to have to source your own replacement.

Brewhardware has threaded thermowells. Although it would be nice to not to have to source your own replacement.

True, now the question is are they a standard 1/2" NPT or were they dumb and put in 3/8ths like someone eluded too earlier... :)

They are probably 1/4" then. They fit in a 1/2" hole… brewhardware has those too

She arrived!

Overall, I'm impressed with the quality of the product. The plastic is thicker than I anticipated and the thermowell can be replaced with stainless. I fear that once this puppy is loaded with fluid, if anything ever gave way such as the mounts breaking off, stand tipping over, the Fastferment is going to crack and bust. Sure, if you drop a glass carboy, it will break too, but a glass carboy sits on the ground with a wide base support. The conical MUST be mounted or propped. The unit will fit in my spare full size fridg with the beer crisper removed, but otherwise, I'm going to have to wait and brew in this puppy in the winter when the ambient keeps the area in check...

I think this thing will work pretty good and will pay for itself with how easy it is to reuse yeast. My only question is why they put the hole for the thermometer where they did. It won't bother me because I have a stand, but if you mount the fermenter on the wall the thermometer is going to be in weird spot because it almost underneath where the wall mount is.

I can't find a tape measure right now. Does anyone have the final measurements with the short stand? I'm guessing (based on what someone measured without the stand) about 40" tall and about 18" wide.

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the all the comments and shares. Just home for a couple days before we head back to Michigan to finalize everything. I promise we are more relieved than you guys that everyone is receiving them! :) Its been a ton of work but by reading the comments it sounds like we're on track!

Please keep them coming.

1. I've added making a replacement stainless thermowell available asap. It will probably take a few months until we can make them here but they will come. If you can wait great or if not I'm sure you can find something online. I confirmed today it is 1/2" NPT.

2. We needed to have the thermowell located as close to the parting line as possible to ensure there was enough plastic for the threads. You'll notice the plastic is thicker near the parting line compared to the very front and back. We also needed it low enough to ensure it was submerged in the liquid enough but not too low that it would be hard to read. Our thought was that when mounted on the wall brackets it would have the volume markings and Thermometer facing outward to ensure the most function out of both the features.

3. The total height of the unit is 35.5" with the collection ball and air lock on it. The width is 14" without the mounting bracket bolts and 14.75" with the bolts.

Please keep the comments and questions coming. We will do our best to get back to you asap!

And keep us updated on how it works out, we want to hear from the experts! (YOU!)

Best - Cheers,

Casey & The FastRack Team

Filled and waiting for action......
Go buy extra teflon tape. Had to keep re-taping after leaks. Need to make sure that you wrap threads better than I did the first few times.

Just make sure to wrap the Teflon tape in the direction it threads and you should only need one wrap. If it starts to bind up, the tape is the wrapped the wrong way. I had plenty of tape, but an extra roll is less than a buck at Lowes, so it definitely doesn't hurt to have a spare roll.

Awesome stand by the way!

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the all the comments and shares. Just home for a couple days before we head back to Michigan to finalize everything. I promise we are more relieved than you guys that everyone is receiving them! :) Its been a ton of work but by reading the comments it sounds like we're on track!

Please keep them coming.

1. I've added making a replacement stainless thermowell available asap. It will probably take a few months until we can make them here but they will come. If you can wait great or if not I'm sure you can find something online. I confirmed today it is 1/2" NPT.

2. We needed to have the thermowell located as close to the parting line as possible to ensure there was enough plastic for the threads. You'll notice the plastic is thicker near the parting line compared to the very front and back. We also needed it low enough to ensure it was submerged in the liquid enough but not too low that it would be hard to read. Our thought was that when mounted on the wall brackets it would have the volume markings and Thermometer facing outward to ensure the most function out of both the features.

3. The total height of the unit is 35.5" with the collection ball and air lock on it. The width is 14" without the mounting bracket bolts and 14.75" with the bolts.

Please keep the comments and questions coming. We will do our best to get back to you asap!

And keep us updated on how it works out, we want to hear from the experts! (YOU!)

Best - Cheers,

Casey & The FastRack Team

Can you verify the height of the unit when its mounted in the small stand?

Can you verify the height of the unit when its mounted in the small stand?

The stand really only adds about inch, it doesn't make it much taller. I am at work so I can't measure. I would not want to be trying to put this thing into a tight fermentation chamber when full though. It would probably be a pain to try and move around and fit in a tight spot.

The stand really only adds about inch, it doesn't make it much taller. I am at work so I can't measure. I would not want to be trying to put this thing into a tight fermentation chamber when full though. It would probably be a pain to try and move around and fit in a tight spot.

I have a stand up freezer, so i have more than enough room it will still be a bit awkward but not too bad i dont think.

If you can get the measurement when you can that would be great thanks!

I have a stand up freezer, so i have more than enough room it will still be a bit awkward but not too bad i dont think.

Of course, you could always go with a blow off tube to save a few inches instead of using that airlock...

Old school

Sorry it took me so long. Just went back to nights, 6 pm to 6 am and still adjusting. I measured 34" with it in the stand to the top of the lid. I didn't measure to the top of the airlock because it can vary depending on how far you push it down and you can add you can figure out anyway on your own from knowing the height of the lid.

I will add these things are nicely built and should pay for themselves pretty fast with how easy it will be to reuse yeast. I can't wait to use it! Let me know if you need more pictures or measurements. I am home tonight.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I don't see a place to order the stand or extra balls on the site? Am I blind? The instructions on the order page say to try adding another one and then select a stand, but I don't see that option anywhere. Nor do I see accessories on any of the online vendors listed.

I don't see a place to order the stand or extra balls on the site? Am I blind? The instructions on the order page say to try adding another one and then select a stand, but I don't see that option anywhere. Nor do I see accessories on any of the online vendors listed.

Same here. I'm glad I didn't find it either since I have enough left over raw materials I can rig something up for free...

Just got this e-mail, haven't received a tracking number yet either, so hopefully it will get here.

Hello Everyone,

All orders have been sent to ship. If you haven't received a UPS email with your tracking # it should arrive shortly. UPS is dealing with big order so it's taking them some time.

If you can't find your brackets, they are under the cardboard insert in the bottom of the box, we had to do this to avoid scratching the FastFerment.

Thanks for getting involved!

Cheers,
The FastRack Team

Well so far the only thing I have received from them is this e-mail. No tracking and no package. :(

Back