Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oddly, Tampa is a baseball wasteland, but the hockey is very big here. No idea why.

Because most of your population are transplants from far-flung regions and brought their baseball fandom with them.

Witness the domination of ex-pat Red Sox fans when they're in town.
It's like Fenway South...for better or worse...

Cheers!

I'd put Leafs fans in the same boat as Caps fans. Just well enough to be noticed, and then royally blow it. So yes, you're right.
At least this year, the Leafs had the decency to put on a proper tanking. Didn't win the McDavid lottery, but at least have #4 in a very strong draft. Here's hoping their scouts haven't completely screwed the pooch.

What they normally do is finish 9th-10th in the conference. Just miss the playoffs *and* draft in the middle of the first round? Worst of both worlds.

Interesting hossa came to the wings to win a cup and they fell just short then signs with the Hawks and I know people here in Detroit were pissed but then he goes on to win 3 rings. Hmm think he made the right decision. I was so happy to see timmonen go out with a ring how sweet is that. 16 yrs in the league decides to retire and gets his cup. Reminds me when bourque finally got his with the avs, not comparing players just the situation.

Yeah, I thought Hawks would do him well for a couple of years, but he and they have been going strong for much longer. Good for him and them.

I think think that it took a couple of years, but the Salary Cap era really did push most of the league into even territory. There are a lot of very competitive teams across the league and even if some of them manage to remain competitive and compete for the cup there are always going to be plenty of other teams to keep things interesting.

Once the playoffs start anyone can claim the big prize. That's when the details really matter and mental toughness come into play.

Hopefully Blashill will bring some energy to the Wings. I'm a fan of Babcock, but you gotta wonder if the team was starting to become stangant in some ways.k

Still waiting to see who will sit (stand) next to him behind the bench. Chelios's name was brought up, but he's going to be working with defensemen in Detroit after doing that same job in Grand Rapids since retirement.

At least this year, the Leafs had the decency to put on a proper tanking. Didn't win the McDavid lottery, but at least have #4 in a very strong draft. Here's hoping their scouts haven't completely screwed the pooch.

What they normally do is finish 9th-10th in the conference. Just miss the playoffs *and* draft in the middle of the first round? Worst of both worlds.

It amazes me that the Leafs can almost always put together a team to get some hopes rising in the their fans, only to tank in second half or just before playoffs.

I mean, I don't want them to do TOO well, but I always watch to see when the slide is going to start. I honestly think that Babcock will make a difference. Not just as a coach, but I think he MUST have had some front office changes written into his contract to make their whole system run differently.

Maybe that will change their late season habits.

It amazes me that the Leafs can almost always put together a team to get some hopes rising in the their fans, only to tank in second half or just before playoffs.

I mean, I don't want them to do TOO well, but I always watch to see when the slide is going to start. I honestly think that Babcock will make a difference. Not just as a coach, but I think he MUST have had some front office changes written into his contract to make their whole system run differently.

Maybe that will change their late season habits.
I really want to see who they hire as GM now, if they even officially hire one at all.

I'm starting to think that between Shanahan, Babcock, Dubas, and Hunter, they may just run it by committee. How many GM candidate are going to walk into a situation where the personnel has already been hired before they even walk in the door?

Yeah, I thought Hawks would do him well for a couple of years, but he and they have been going strong for much longer. Good for him and them.

We've got him under contract for the rest of his career and I'm sure he will stay. I love Hossa. He plays like a guy half his age, makes smart plays and chases the puck like a terrier. He is so much fun to watch and I hope that when he eventually retires he will still be in a Blackhawks sweater.

Penguins? Who cares!
Congrats to the 2016 Stanley Cup Champion Buffalo Bills! :rockin:

ClCEa5AWAAARCRN.jpg:large

Cheers! (That's so awesome - Buffalo never wins ANYTHING! ;))

Guess no one watched the US stink it up in the world cup? It's funny how unpopular it is here in the US. At least it seems that way... Maybe it's because our team was f'ing terrible. We weren't great in the last Olympics either finishing in 4th.
Stupid Canada...

Guess no one watched the US stink it up in the world cup? It's funny how unpopular it is here in the US. At least it seems that way... Maybe it's because our team was f'ing terrible. We weren't great in the last Olympics either finishing in 4th.
Stupid Canada...

I was geared up for it, but I noticed how it's not particularly well received here. I think the issue is that we already have the NHL, which collects the best players from around the world already, and they spend months playing in front of US viewers.

The World Cup of Hockey seems like a third rate event compared to the Stanley Cup quest, and the Winter Olympics I think.

I was geared up for it, but I noticed how it's not particularly well received here. I think the issue is that we already have the NHL, which collects the best players from around the world already, and they spend months playing in front of US viewers.

The World Cup of Hockey seems like a third rate event compared to the Stanley Cup quest, and the Winter Olympics I think.
The NHL also has that talent spread across 30 teams, and not everyone making the big league is named Crosby or Price.

Even in the Olympics, you have a lot of talent clustered on a few teams, and a few just-happy-to-be-there teams getting clubbed 12-0 by Sweden in the preliminaries. After you're done the group play, that's when it gets to the good stuff.

With fewer teams, and especially with the addition of the North America and Europe squads to include more of the top players, the WCH has the potential to showcase the best hockey on the planet in one tournament. I think the biggest hurdle it has right now is that it doesn't has the legacy or the prestige of either Lord Stanley's Mug or the Olympic Games. Because of that, no one gives a chit about it. :)

I don't understand why some of the personal made it on the US team. Maybe a few of the usual suspects declined... And Torts as the coach? They really couldn't find anyone else? Oh well... back to football for a few more weeks.

I don't understand why some of the personal made it on the US team. Maybe a few of the usual suspects declined... And Torts as the coach? They really couldn't find anyone else? Oh well... back to football for a few more weeks.

That's been the ongoing question. Supposedly, the org knew they couldn't match Canada for skill so they went with grit, in the process forgetting about all the other teams they'd have to play. Look at this tweet from Phil Kessel

https://twitter.com/PKessel81/status/778426548651163648?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

The whole thing with Torts as coach is (again, supposedly) that they wouldn't be able to secure anyone currently coaching in the NHL so they went with Torts who was available. Then he got a job coaching the Blue Jackets and the question then arose of basically "so you basically could have hired an NHL coach anyway..."

I don't expect the Blues to have much of a team this year. Both Backes and Brouwer are gone, taking 40 goals and 40 assists with them, not to mention the grit. I think the season will hinge on who we can get in return for Shattenkirk.

We do have some good young talent, at least there will be something to watch.

moving to the west coast has ****ed up my Redwings Sched....games are on hella early and no one out here even likes hockey. i will get to see some Gulls games this year tho. better then a kick in the nards i guess.

So you'll ignore the regular season and pop your head up if Det makes the playoffs? You're not doing much to dispel the image of Wings fans as a bunch of bandwagoneers.

I can see where you read this as me not coming in here during the regular season, but I only meant that we are assured a place in the playoffs due to the magnificent first preseason game.

I'll be in here plenty to snipe at Leafs fans.

First televised Wings game of the season tonight. Also the first game of the Bulldogs hockey season! I plan to brew, so I guess going to see the Dawgs play is out of the question.

Wings are undefeated so far this year. How many teams can say that!?

I'm not anywhere near ready to anoint Matthews as the Leafs' savior yet... but goddamn! That was something special!

I'm not anywhere near ready to anoint Matthews as the Leafs' savior yet... but goddamn! That was something special!

I caught this news this morning in the bathroom. Good thing I was already sitting down! LOL!

Amazing. I wish I had thought to tune into some games last night.

I know it's one fluke game, but still...

Back