Easy & Cheap Stainless Vent Hood

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my fan drips from the fan enclosure but not into the kettle. my fan is only maybe 6-12" from the elbow down to the ss bowl "hood" how long between your fan and your "hood" and how many bends?

My solution

IMG_1178.JPG

I'm betting the duct was formed so the end rests against the screen and the author just fires it out the opened window.
I used to lean a 20" box fan against the screen of my open shop window to do essentially the same thing...

Cheers!

How do you have that going out the window?

It’s casement window. The screen is on the inside so I cut a piece of plexiglass to fit, screwed it to the screen frame, cut a hole for the vent tube, trimmed away the screen, and open the window to exhaust the heat and steam.

For intake air (so I don’t suck out heated/cooled air conditioning, I put a T in the dryer vent and plug it with a duct plug. I remove it for brewery ops and install it for dryer ops.

IMG_1168.JPG

IMG_1169.JPG

IMG_1170.JPG

Just read thru this all, any advice on the outside portion? Trying to figure out how I want the outside to look. Damper vent? Dryer louvers?

My blower vents down through the underside of a soffit and I couldn't find a spring-loaded 3x10 damper that would come close to closing - they're meant for horizontal flow, not pulling the flap upwards. So to end up with the least restrictive solution I simply slap a section of magnetic sheet over the outside duct flange when I'm not brewing. While it's the opposite of automatic it's definitely tighter than any gravity or spring-loaded flapper for my application...

Cheers!

Last edited:
As I was putting the final touches on my eHERMS build I had to find a way to vent the boil condensation from my basement on brew days. After a lot of research and searching the web I decided to build a vent hood from a 30 quart stainless steel mixing bowl. I haven't seen anyone else use a mixing bowl so I thought I'd share my easy & cheap design. I have brewed 4 batches with this vent hood setup and haven't had any issues. You can easily find a 30 quart stainless steel mixing bowl for under $30 online w/ shipping. I used a 4" inline fan that I purchased on ebay for $70. You can easily build your own stainless steel vent hood for under $100. I used a jigsaw to cut a circular hole in the mixing bowl and then used 3 hose clamps to hold the fan in place. I also used some food safe silicon to seal the mating surface between the fan and hood. Good luck on your future build and feel free to ask me any questions with your build. CHEERS!

I need to thank you because this was one of the first brew thread I read and convinced me to build my basement home brewery. I built almost a carbon copy of you setup and it has worked perfectly with my electric kettle. I just tried my first finished brew last Saturday and I can see myself now brewing for a long time to come. This is an awesome forum! :)

1.jpg
2.jpg

You are very welcome! I'm glad I was able to contribute to this forum which has helped me. It is nice being able to brew indoors and not deal with the outside weather, especially in the winter!

Has anyone vented out of the dryer vent? I am thinking about putting a brew station inside my mech room and my washer and dryer are close and I think that venting out of the dryer vent would be the easiest

Has anyone vented out of the dryer vent? I am thinking about putting a brew station inside my mech room and my washer and dryer are close and I think that venting out of the dryer vent would be the easiest

You could put two valves: one inline with dryer, the other inline with the hood. Open the dryer valve and close the hood valve for dryer ops. Open the hood valv and close the dryer valve for brewery ops.

https://stores.hvacexpress.com/manual-duct-damper-spool-damper-10-inch-gsd-10/

Does anyone have advice for the type of fan to use with natural gas? I was all set to buy the 6" vortex fan but then saw the temp limit posted for that unit is 140F. The fan will be about 4' above the top of the kettles, with a metal hood i'm building connecting it to the ducting and then a short run outside. Should I be worried about the 140F max temp limit of the fans or am I overthinking this?

Also there is another option out there now which seems good by AC infinity, they list their temp limit as 240F, anyone have experience with this fan? i'm actually skeptical it's much different than the other plastics that can only handle to 140F.

By the time the heated air reaches the fan it will have mixed with a large volume of much cooler ambient air. I can't give you any measurements or calculations, but I suspect by the time it reaches the fan it will be far less than 140F.

By the time the heated air reaches the fan it will have mixed with a large volume of much cooler ambient air. I can't give you any measurements or calculations, but I suspect by the time it reaches the fan it will be far less than 140F.

yes, i would guess you will be fine as well. i put my hand up into the hole sometimes and it seems very cool to me. the air coming out seems pretty cool too, maybe a little warmish.

I need to thank you because this was one of the first brew thread I read and convinced me to build my basement home brewery. I built almost a carbon copy of you setup and it has worked perfectly with my electric kettle. I just tried my first finished brew last Saturday and I can see myself now brewing for a long time to come. This is an awesome forum! :)

View attachment 609584 View attachment 609585

Can I ask what you used for the countertops? Looks like stainless sections?

Yes if you tee it some of your exhaust is going to back flow to the dryer. That’s a bad thing.

You need a separate vent.
Hey there. I'm also in the same situation - want to use the same outside vent as my dryer. I have a T joint and dampers for each opening. I'm unsure about what orientation to put them in however. I was thinking the brew exhaust should come up via the vertical T hole and dryer in horizontal T hole, to avoid water dripping into my dryer. But then I'm wondering if it's possible I could be getting dryer lint dropping down my brew exhaust vent, even with the damper ( it's not flush to the edges)

Any thoughts?

I think it's best to have a separate venting means. Not wanting a large air leak I had a hard time cutting a six inch hole in the side of the house but for my brewery needs but it was the right thing to do. Since installing the exhaust system I have no condensation or brewery smells in my basement brewery. My wife is much happier too! Make sure you have make up air.

I think it's best to have a separate venting means. Not wanting a large air leak I had a hard time cutting a six inch hole in the side of the house but for my brewery needs but it was the right thing to do. Since installing the exhaust system I have no condensation or brewery smells in my basement brewery. My wife is much happier too! Make sure you have make up air.

Not stainless but works well. $145 plus commercial vent hood fan (free).

Attachments

• E0C87D2E-9119-4913-8965-BF7CFF2A3518.jpeg
    E0C87D2E-9119-4913-8965-BF7CFF2A3518.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 229
I spent a LOT of time researching and designing a SS hood and vent solution for my new home brewery. But I hated the idea of having to cut into my ceiling, and then roof. (And, btw, going down through the soffet creates more problems than it solves; you really need a horizontal or vertical vent outlet). AND it was going to cost me $2000+, all in.

Then I found BrunDog's simple condensor solution on this site, and MAN, for about $80 and some very simple plumbing/assembly that you can do yourself, PROBLEM SOLVED! No ceiling hole, no roof hole/vent, no exhaust fan, no SS hood, no $2000 and, best of all, no steam from the BK! (And better boil efficiency to boot). You must check this out before going to a lot of trouble and expense to see if it can be applied in your situation.

Just saw this for the first time yesterday and this morning I see the exact one right down to the sticker on Facebook marketplace. What a coincidence.

I have 12ft of dryer hose after my fan and haven’t noticed any issues. It has been there for five years.

Is your brew space in a fairly cold environment? I'm in an uninsulated garage, so condensation is going to be accelerated. I'm guessing flexible or not, it will just be an issue I have to deal with.

Thank you all for the great information. I recently purchased the Anvil Foundry, and plan on brewing in the basement until weather permits me to go outside. Hope to have 240V in the not too distant future, so looking at potential 2800W.

I am planning to use the bowl ventilation to reduce condensation in the basement, and was hoping for advice from those of you who have the experience and knowledge.

1. Would a 4 inch fan/duct be sufficient, or should I use 6 inch?

2. What is the consensus on fan placement? Vertical over the bowl, or horizontal after at 90 degree turn?

3. Hypothetically, could I turn the duct twice at 90 degrees to dump the condensation into a sink or sump basin, to alleviate the condensation and not cause any negative air pressure?

Attachments

• basement brew space.jpg
    basement brew space.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 84
Back