Doritos Flavored Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikingman82

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have been thinking about trying to make this for a while and wonder what everyone thinks about the idea of it? I was thinking that I would do an american light ale as my base and then dry hop crushed doritos in the secondary for flavor. Is this a bad idea?

What kind of Dorritos? Nacho Cheese? On second though, what flavor COULD you use that wouldn't be crazy?!? Maybe the Spicy Sweet Chile chips in a wee heavy or a porter?...?

You might consider adding them to your mash but I would not "dry chip" with them. You will add grease and starch and nasty preservatives. On second thought, it might be better to keep your chips on the side. What you could do is break down the flavor profile that you want and try to get there in other ways. I just don't see the grease and preservatives working very well in a beer, not to mention the fake cheese.

The real question is why would you want to drink cheese beer?

Eat your doritos, and drink your beer. They don't need to be the same flavor to pair well together.

I suggest consulting the internet sensation "Doritos Consomme"

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm... good thoughts. I would think that the Consomme would be watered down or would that still have a strong flavor?

I vote cool ranch flavor. My fave hamburger helper is that flavor. I almost got some authentic doritos taco cuisine today at the bell.:fro:

well that sounds weird but my one suggestion is to make sure you baked and not fried, the grease from the fried will end up floating on top of you beer.

Stumbled across this and tasted bile ;) really, just get some nacho Doritos, squirt some fresh lime juice over them and eat them while you drink your beer :) yum

Personally, I would wait until the beer was ready to drink: Then
1. Open Bottle
2. Pour Beer
3. Open Doritos
4. Place Dorito in Mouth.
5. Chew.
6. Wash down residue in Mouth with beer.
7. Repeat as necessary.

yeah I think I like the suggestion of making a consume to get the flavor out of it and I decided to switch to cool ranch flavor. Should be interesting. I will keep you all posted.

To me this does not sound good. With that said, this is a hobby where we do what sounds good to us. or sounds like a fun experiment. We are all in thus to have fun. I would like I know how this turns out.

Sounds gross to me but to each his/her own. That's what makes the hobby fun. Maybe start with a small batch just in case it doesn't turn out like you thought. The new tacos from taco bell with the Dorito shell are good though!

why do you want to do this? Do you drink beer often?

well I want to do this for several reasons. first off it is a fun experiment. Secondly where I work, Doritos are a huge deal and I can tell you that everyone at work is excited to see if this experiment works. Thirdly it is just straight out fun. Oh and yes I drink beer often and brew beer often. :mug:

well I want to do this for several reasons. first off it is a fun experiment. Secondly where I work, Doritos are a huge deal and I can tell you that everyone at work is excited to see if this experiment works. Thirdly it is just straight out fun. Oh and yes I drink beer often and brew beer often. :mug:

I'd give up on the dorrito beer and just make a tincture/liqueur

cincydave said:
Sounds gross to me but to each his/her own. That's what makes the hobby fun. Maybe start with a small batch just in case it doesn't turn out like you thought. The new tacos from taco bell with the Dorito shell are good though!

I was very upset with the decision to sell the Doritos shell tacos and take the beefy crunch burrito out of the line up.

Have you considered a taco beer? Mmmmmmm taco!

If doritos are a big deal where you work... Are you the r and d chef for taco bell who maybe is flirting with selling beer? Which would then make this a huge deal!

speechless.gif

/Seriously... I have no idea what to say...

If doritos are a big deal where you work... Are you the r and d chef for taco bell who maybe is flirting with selling beer? Which would then make this a huge deal!

No I work on the TV show Metalocalypse and we are all about doritos there.

Sorry to threadjack... But deathklok was one of the best shows I've been to in years!

Doritos beer, I believe ( tasting like ass or not) would be all too appropriate! Make it, and throw a metalocalypse sticker on the bottle... Perfection.

I was very upset with the decision to sell the Doritos shell tacos and take the beefy crunch burrito out of the line up.

Have you considered a taco beer? Mmmmmmm taco!

Agree! the beefy crunch burrito was very good and only a buck. Seems like they're alwaysn changing their menu around.

Cool Ranch Doritos are basically corn chips with ranch dressing flavor sprayed on them, right? Why not throw a packet of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing powder into the secondary? Maybe with some dehydrated polenta or corn grits to impart a corn flavor without all the oils and stuff in tortilla chips.

If that works (and I'm not saying it will, but ...) perhaps a Nacho Cheese Doritos effect could be achieved with Kernel Season's Nacho Cheddar popcorn seasoning? They sell this stuff at Target, hereabouts. There are other brands of nacho cheese popcorn flavoring.

I'm curious if this would turn out. The drawback might be that the stuff tastes fake or weird in beer, since you're basically throwing in little packets of artificial flavor and additives. Just like the powder on real Doritos.

This reminds me of the guy who talked about adding Slim Jims to his beer. I'm don't know if he ever tasted it, but I can't imagine it being very good. But hey, if you want to put chips in your beer, go for it. Not my cup of tea, but as long as YOU enjoy it...

Don't know why I happened to remember this thread, but wondering if OP ever tried this. Bikingman82, you still out there?

Cool Ranch Doritos are basically corn chips with ranch dressing flavor sprayed on them, right? Why not throw a packet of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing powder into the secondary? Maybe with some dehydrated polenta or corn grits to impart a corn flavor without all the oils and stuff in tortilla chips.

If that works (and I'm not saying it will, but ...) perhaps a Nacho Cheese Doritos effect could be achieved with Kernel Season's Nacho Cheddar popcorn seasoning? They sell this stuff at Target, hereabouts. There are other brands of nacho cheese popcorn flavoring.

I'm curious if this would turn out. The drawback might be that the stuff tastes fake or weird in beer, since you're basically throwing in little packets of artificial flavor and additives. Just like the powder on real Doritos.

+1 to this. I would think you would get a better flavor profile from using a packet of powder like this. If you want some of the corn flavor and aroma, then use some flaked corn in the mash. The only reason I would suggest that is because the chips also contain a lot of grease, so you could achieve almost the same flavor without the downside of adding grease to your beer.

I got this problem licked boys! Here's the secret to perfect Dorito's flaored beer:

1. Open a beer
2. Open a bag of Doritos
3. Insert a Doritos chip into mouth (yum!)
4. Take a swig of beer, mix with semi-chewed Doritos chip (YUM!)

Doritos Flavored beer.

I am resurrecting this thread because I heard on experimental brewing podcast a guy who had made the cool ranch Doritos beer. Basically did it like a cream ale with 1/3 doritos in the mash and the rest just base malt and using cascade hops.

I'm going to do it. It's gonna happen. Just need to decide what best to use for base malt and what temp to mash at, etc. I will maybe do a half a batch instead of a whole one :)

As far as the hidden valley ranch thing. No. That would not be the same. Cool Ranch doritos beer and just "ranch" beer are not going to be the same thing.

I'm all for experimentation and trying new things but this sounds wrong and disgusting. Surely there has to be a better idea to experiment with than this

Back