Recipes to suit supplies in hand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ibrew2

Reaction score
My story is that my closest LHBS is 3 1/2 hours away, so I tend to purchase bulk quantities of ingredients so I don’t need to wait to travel near a LHBS or wait a week or more for online orders to ship and arrive.
So, I find myself with extra ingredients and trying to make them fit a recipe.
And my brewing experience is not enough to wing it, and come up with my own.

Wondering if there is a data base of recipes that can be searched by ingredients that I have on hand.

I currently have 50 pounds of extra pale 2 row and some white wheat, honey, rye, American Carmel, American carapils and American goldpils/vienna malts.
Other ingredients include some honey, lemon grass, ginger, coriander seeds and dried orange zest or peel.
Also have a variety of hops that I bought in bulk and vacuum sealed in smaller quantities, as well as more than a few packs of dry yeasts including US-05, S-04 and Nottingham as well as some cider and wine yeasts.
Most of these ingredients have been around a while, but stored in freezer, fridge or cool basement.

I used to play around with brewing, wine and cider making quit a bit, but haven’t in a while due to family health issues, retirement and several moves/relocations.

I’m open to ideas on how to best use what I have on hand to make some easy drinking recipes including SMASH recipes just in time for summer!

Sorry for the long winded post and thanks in advance for any thoughts on the matter.

With your variety of ingredients on hand this is the sort of question where 10 people will jump in and give you 12 answers. :)

There are many beers you can make with that list of ingredients. I wish I could give more specifics, but the possibilities are numerous. You did mention SMaSH beers. You could experiment with pale malt and try different hops/yeasts.

If you're making beer for yourself and it's not really important for you to meet the BJCP rules and high quality beer that would win a medal at some competition, you can always combine what you have of the ingredients using your favorite software for creating recipes (I use BrewMate because it's super easy and free) and you will surely get a good beer that you and your friends will enjoy. I've been doing it that way since day one for years. Determine what style of beer you want and combine what ingredients you have to at least roughly meet the requirements of that style.
If you can't do that, choose another style.
Don't worry too much and just brew.

If you're making beer for yourself and it's not really important for you to meet the BJCP rules and high quality beer that would win a medal at some competition, you can always combine what you have of the ingredients using your favorite software for creating recipes (I use BrewMate because it's super easy and free) and you will surely get a good beer that you and your friends will enjoy. I've been doing it that way since day one for years. Determine what style of beer you want and combine what ingredients you have to at least roughly meet the requirements of that style.
If you can't do that, choose another style.
Don't worry too much and just brew.
No competitions for me, just some beer to drink on a warm day…. Or a cold day too!

Definitely enjoy lighter styles, witbriers and Centenial blondes (thanks Biermuncher).

Is Brewmate an app? Didn’t see it in the Playstore.

Set yourself the challenge to make your perfect pale ale. For base malts you will want 10-50% wheat, 10-90% Vienna, and the balance 2-row. Then sprinkle in 0-10% caramel/crystal/honey. Except the Carapils; feed that to the squirrels. Commit to making it multiple times, adjusting the grain bill until you’re happy. Then fix that, but change up the hops. Then, if you like, yeast.

All my local homebrew stores have closed and I have to order everything on line. I keep a big inventory on hand and usually brew what I want, but sometimes have to make substitutions. After many brews and many different styles of beer, I’ve settled down to hoppy pale ales, stouts & porters and the occasional kolsch/lager. Most great recipes are really simple, so it’s not that hard to keep what I need in stock.
:mug:

Latest posts

Back