DIY Ghetto Dip Tube Screen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anbowden

Reaction score
I had a rasberry hefe that severely clogged the dip tube and liquid post on my keg. I should've used a tertiary fermenter, shame on me. But in the mean time I had 5 gallons of delicious beer I couldn't get out! I only have two kegs and second one is full, so I couldn't rack to a new keg. So rather than buying an $8+shipping dip tube screen online and waiting, I went to Lowe's and fashioned a cheap and easy, albeit ghetto, dip tube screen. I bought a kitchen sink strainer and an all-stainless hose clamp (made in USA); it was about $5 in total.
I cut the rim off the strainer and then after pulling and cleaning the diptube, I put it on the bottom with just a little room to spare. I tightened the clamp enough that the screen would stay on by itself, but not so tight I couldn't take it on and off by hand. I did cut about 1/4" off the bottom of the dip tube though, to give the screen a little more surface area. Worked like a charm!

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

I don't get much junk in my kegs, but I might do something similar to my siphon.

Back