Changing a finishing hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akpolaris

Reaction score
I just purchased some ingredients for a brew and failed to pick up the finishing hop. It calls for a "Willamette" hop. What happens if I use whatever I have on hand? I have some hops in the fridge from previous bathes. I have never tasted this new recipe so would not know if it changes the flavor>
Thanks

What other hops do you have on hand? Hard to make any suggestions without knowing the recipe.

What other hops do you have on hand? Hard to make any suggestions without knowing the recipe.
I guess the crux of the question is how much does the finishing hop effect the end product? Specifically what does "willamette hops" do vs other hops. I'll check my supply and see if I can post a copy of the recipe

The finishing hop can affect the end product from a little bit to a lot, depending on how hop forward the beer is.

A whirlpool addition of 4 ounces each into two beers with different finishing hops will have a greater difference than the same experiment with 1 ounce each at 20 minutes.

Willamette is kind of a US grown British hop if that makes any sense. Think floral, spicy, maybe a touch of citrus. Most of the British hops would get you different but close on a restrained hop schedule (fuggles, Gouldings) or maybe even some of the US grown nobles (us tettnang, mt Hood, etc.)

I have almost what the recipe calls for in Fuggles hops. The alpha acid content is lower in that than the Chinook and GR Northern Brewer hops that I have. I'm not trying to be cheap or a"beer snob". The supplier is 120miles away and I have a limited amount of time to get underway before I leave town for work. I think that the Fuggles may do the trick. The brew is an Irish Stout

The only way to get a meaningful answer would be to post what the recipe was "supposed to be" and then what you're proposing to do instead.

When I see the terminology "finishing hops," that makes me think of things like whirlpooling or dry hopping. Or, at least hops added very late in the boil (i.e. in the last 5-10 min). Stouts are not beers that typically push hop flavors and aromas, so I would think that all hops would be in the kettle by the 30min mark, latest. If that's the case, if you get in the neighborhood on alpha acids you'll be in the neighborhood with end result a well.

I'd definitely go with the fuggles. In an Irish stout, I doubt even the most sensitive taste buds would notice a difference.

Hop substitute list. Fuggles is listed for Willamette. You could also type Google search "substitute for Willamette hops", some others pop up.

Attachments

• Hopslist_Substitutes_2014-03.pdf
    205.7 KB · Views: 7
Back