BrewNanny - What do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will never buy from a kickstarter.

These people are just burning cash and using marketing/special deals to fund their ongoing failing operations.

It's all very strange. How/why would he continue to spend advertising dollars if he's just been running a scam? But if it's not a scam and he's just continuing to have problems rolling out product, then why not communicate with his backers and why continue taking orders when there's clearly a problem? It doesn't make sense.

I don't think Kickstarter backers have much or any recourse. That's the nature of kickstarters is my understanding. But anyone else who's placed an order through his website probably has much stronger legal recourse.

The One thing we can do is let other Homebrewer's know how Brewnanny treats their backers/customers... 100% of his potential new customers are forum readers of HBT and AHA forums.

I don't think Kickstarter backers have much or any recourse. That's the nature of kickstarters is my understanding. But anyone else who's placed an order through his website probably has much stronger legal recourse.

Since he is also trying to sell via his website, I think KS backers might have a case....

I didn't buy one, but here is the problem I have with it.
He says in his email "We have limited inventory for all deals so act now and don’t miss out on the opportunity to buy a BrewNanny or BrewNanny Pro for 50% off just use discount code MARCHMADDNESS at checkout".
As far as I can tell, not a single unit has shipped. so it appears to me either 1) this statement is an outright fraud (i.e. there is no inventory) or 2) there is inventory, but he is shipping them to people who are buying now, instead of filling many month old orders (unlikely, but if that was happening, you would think some of the people who are getting them would be posting reviews / questions etc.).

I didn't buy one, but here is the problem I have with it.
He says in his email "We have limited inventory for all deals so act now and don’t miss out on the opportunity to buy a BrewNanny or BrewNanny Pro for 50% off just use discount code MARCHMADDNESS at checkout".
As far as I can tell, not a single unit has shipped. so it appears to me either 1) this statement is an outright fraud (i.e. there is no inventory) or 2) there is inventory, but he is shipping them to people who are buying now, instead of filling many month old orders (unlikely, but if that was happening, you would think some of the people who are getting them would be posting reviews / questions etc.).

Their website says things like "33 in stock."

Clearly he hasn't shipped any known units. This has to be a big scam. Scary.

well, if anyone in NJ bought one, PM me. I may file suit on principle.

You sure it didn't come from Gary's Lying?

Has anyone looked up "Gary Lyons" in whatever city this vaporware is supposed to be produced in? And called him at his house? Or shown up on his doorstep? I had a crooked landlord in Brooklyn who owed me several thousand dollars and he avoided me like the plague. That is, until I showed up at his house in Long Island....

I might go for it and try finding him, I bought my over 5 months ago and still no clue about when and if I'm getting what i paid for. The only issue is: I'm in Brazil!!!
This sucks big time...

I bet that they realized that they needed more money after the Kickstarter campaign so they did the 50 percent off sale to bring in some cash knowing that they were not going to ship anything for a long time

I'm sure that everyone will get their product eventually but this is a horrible way to start off a new company. Everyone is very well justified in being upset. the way the owner responded on Facebook was very unprofessional and did not acknowledge anyone's complaints.

Looks like he's listing some in stock right now on his website.

Need to do a parody of Hotel California for the BrewNanny... "We've got as many as you like, but none will you receive"...

excerpt from The Eagles "Hotel California"
"You can check-out any time you like, But you can never leave! "

Need to do a parody of Hotel California for the BrewNanny... "We've got as many as you like, but none will you receive"...

excerpt from The Eagles "Hotel California"
"You can check-out any time you like, But you can never leave! "

or a video parody of the Seinfeld "Car Reservation" episode.

I left him an email yesterday asking how he could have product "in stock" on his website yet I (one of the Kickstarter backers) hadn't received one yet. He used to respond within 2-4 hours every time I emailed around the kickstarter campaign. But I don't expect to get an answer back unfortunately.

Too bad you're not UAW like me. I call them, explain whasup & give them his E-mail. He'd be answering back right quick. Especially the union lawyers inside the union hall in Cuyahoga county. They'd rip this fool a new one. Real quick. And I mean they're downright mean about it too.

This thread is an incredibly interesting read. Very curious to see how this saga unfolds...hopefully well for those of you that sunk money into the product!

I find it fascinating that the "inventor" has no background in engineering, rather he has a background in digital photography and marketing. And all we have seen are some crisp digital photos, and marketing. Has anyone seen a video of this thing actual working? Or seen or heard of or even read a review of someone who has actually seen it actually doing something?

SCAM ALERT!!!!
DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY!!!

I have an order from Oct 2014 have yet to receive it or receive a response from them. They do not give a phone number or physical address in which to contact, leaving only emails which are roundly ignored. BYO Magazine will not accept any new advertising from them.

I've learned my lesson ever backing a kickstarter. I have backed 5 things (3 of them being video games, dating back to 2013) and have only received one, and it just so happened to be the last thing I backed.

The idea of kickstarter is good, the implementation is horrible, and all of these "companies" are either just selling snake oil, or they are incompetent.

SCAM ALERT!!!!
DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY!!!

I have an order from Oct 2014 have yet to receive it or receive a response from them. They do not give a phone number or physical address in which to contact, leaving only emails which are roundly ignored. BYO Magazine will not accept any new advertising from them.

I think you're probably right... It's been 5 + weeks since they said it would be another 4 weeks to ship (support ticket email reply).... I guess I should have asked them to be more clear as to what year those 4 weeks would fall under.

They used to have their phone # and address on the brewnanny website... I see that is no longer available and also his Lyons Labs.net website is gone (which also had their address).

edit: found after googling it: Lyons Labs 134 MASS MoCA Way North Adams, MA 01247 Phone: (413) 346-1110

49.gif
62.gif
Wow, that looks like a high tech solution searching for a problem to solve. I think I will just spend the money on more grains and hops and stick with my low tech solution.
It's like I'm having deja vu....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/brewnanny-what-do-you-think-467757/#post6024941

BrewNanny's Facebook page just posted an article from Intel's site....posted on Oct 2014 talking about the brewnanny... With all of the people asking for updates, they are pretty desperate in posting an article that is 5 months old...

I think 7 days from now we can expect a video showing the BrewNanny in action with a backdrop of the Sierra Mountains... the video will probably be grainy and contain a Bigfoot sighting.

BrewNanny's Facebook page just posted an article from Intel's site....posted on Oct 2014 talking about the brewnanny... With all of the people asking for updates, they are pretty desperate in posting an article that is 5 months old...

Nice catch. I saw that too but didn't realize it was an old article. Lame.

At this juncture, that's the only answer I can come up with. I'm glad I waited to see how it works out before trying these new gadgets. Go go gadget refund! :D

For those who have either backed the Kickstarter or ordered through the site, have you contacted your State's Attorneys Office yet to file a suite and attempt to get your money back?

For those who have either backed the Kickstarter or ordered through the site, have you contacted your State's Attorneys Office yet to file a suite and attempt to get your money back?

Nope. Wouldn't have the faintest clue where to start with that or how to explain why it's my State's Attorney's problem when the business isn't located in my state. Also not sure how to explain I didn't know the risks involved in backing a kickstarter project.

If you are interested in helping with that or explaining how to start with it I'm sure a bunch of us would appreciate it.

I did over a month ago. Earlier this week I received a letter from my state attorney letting me know they received all of the information/documentation that I gave them, and that they have sent a complaint to BrewNanny. To do this you basically locate your state attorney's website and fill out an online form and if needed mail them additional printed documents (what I sent were emails showing the transaction, emails from BrewNanny, Kickstarter BrewNanny website info, scanned copies of full page ads that Brewnanny placed in BYO and Zymurgy).

Probably the best thing to do is contact your credit card company, which I have also done.

Still amazes me that Kickstarter and Amazon Payments will not look into this or assist in any way...

I ordered some expensive stuff from an automotive aftermarket site in Colorado for my son's car once years ago now. A couple months later & nothing. Contacting them did nothing. Went to the state Attorney generals office, My union's lawyers, etc. They even went to the state police in that state. There weren't too many internet commerce laws in place at that time, but hopefully that's changed at this point. Those laws, or lack thereof, can make this difficult. Maybe check your states laws governing internet commerce to see what, if anything, can be done?

Is there something in the kickstarter terms where they are not obligated to give you what you backed even though the company is successful in the backed item?

Nope. Wouldn't have the faintest clue where to start with that or how to explain why it's my State's Attorney's problem when the business isn't located in my state. Also not sure how to explain I didn't know the risks involved in backing a kickstarter project.

If you are interested in helping with that or explaining how to start with it I'm sure a bunch of us would appreciate it.

If I understand correctly you need to gather all of your info from the Kickstarter or way you purchased it, as well as all correspondence with them and any additional info - such as they are still selling them on their site without filling past orders first, be prepared to have a way to forward all of this information to whomever is assigned your complaint before you call.

Then contact your local State's Attorneys Office to file a complaint. Just because the business is in a different state doesn't mean your local office can't help you, there's laws in place for internet based crimes and scams (if in fact that is what this turns out to be ) .

Results may not be fast, and you may need to do additional legwork to assist with things but it would be worth at least trying.

Back