BrewNanny - What do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got screwed. Nothing to hang on to that I can see. Can't believe this moron will get away with this.

Not to hijack the thread but it appears that a similar thing is occurring on Kickstarter w/ the uKeg. Too many frustrated "contributors" w/ little fulfillment. All the while the product is being sold via retail outlets!!

Not to hijack the thread but it appears that a similar thing is occurring on Kickstarter w/ the uKeg. Too many frustrated "contributors" w/ little fulfillment. All the while the product is being sold via retail outlets!!

Definitely looks similar, and there are quite a few other KS projects that people get nothing... The problem with Kickstarter is that they don't take any responsibility (even though they most certainly make money off each project that is funded) even after the tidal wave of complaints and deadlines pass. It was interesting to see that the 3 KS projects that I backed each had a deadline around the 120 period, which is around the time that most credit card companies will not issue a refund.

I got unsubscribed from this for some reason. I feel like there are some posts missing. Anyone else see it?

For those of you looking for a temperature and SG monitor, you might want to check out the Brewometer which is an actual shipping product for $120. So far the feedback has been good.

Seems like a possible solution, but I think I will wait a little bit before I purchase one after the homebrewers that have received theirs report back alittle more. It sounds like there is an update to the app that is needed.

No. Right now, it's main use is to give you an indicator of how fermentation is going and it appears to do this quite well (temperature measurements seem a bit all over the place, but gravity seems fairly accurate based on initial reports). I'd love for them to open up the API so that folks could tie something like this in with, say a BrewPi, and set profiles that react based on gravity and not just time.

That seems pretty cool but a steep price. Basically $120 for an electric hydrometer.

No argument that it's not cheap, but for someone like me who hates taking frequent samples losing around .3-.5 gallons each batch and manually tracking the temperature it's worth a chunk of my spending funds. For those willing to spend the money, compared to BrewNanny ($250 and not even available after 2ish years) or the BeerBug ($200) it's significantly cheaper and doesn't need fitted in the airlock. Those are two major plusses in my mind.

Different strokes! I think it's worth every penny. I would certainly like a $99 price but still, this is a major help in my opinion. I have historically been way too lazy to grab samples every now and again - and I even have a sampling spigot. So I just let it sit in primary for 3 or so weeks to let the fermentation finish completely, but I really have no idea when it happened. That ties up space and makes it harder to plan when beers will be ready. Plus, this thing is just cool as heck. I love busting the phone out and seeing the SG and temp in one quick shot. I could see it obviating my real hydrometer, though in truth I like drinking the samples. Anyway, like I said, different strokes. Some ferment in buckets in a closet, and some have jacketed fermenters with glycol chillers in their house - that's what makes the hobby cool!

Losing .5 gallon to gravity readings?!?! You are taking way too many readings. One for OG and then two 2 weeks later to check if fermentation is done. No need to check during fermentation.

Definitely a cool gadget. Like you said, different strokes. If someone gave me one, I'd use it. Not sure I'd buy one for myself though.

Losing .5 gallon to gravity readings?!?! You are taking way too many readings. One for OG and then two 2 weeks later to check if fermentation is done. No need to check during fermentation.

Definitely a cool gadget. Like you said, different strokes. If someone gave me one, I'd use it. Not sure I'd buy one for myself though.

Ha I hope his decimal is off. That's a bunch of brew.

So we looked into the brew meter for wine making. We make a yearly batch in a 150 gallon steel tank. We emailed the guy and he said that the unit probably cannot take range of gravity readings we want. So he could not guarantee that it would work for wine purposes. But he would gladly refund our money if the unit did not work for us. Evidently they are in Sonoma County, California.

I have a 250 ml graduated cylinder that uses about 8 oz each sample which I check once or twice a week. I'm using the data to better understand how the yeast strains I use behave.

By the way, Brewmeter was really prompt on getting back to us via email. Sounds like great customer service.

I have a 250 ml graduated cylinder that uses about 8 oz each sample which I check once or twice a week. I'm using the data to better understand how the yeast strains I use behave.

Just out of curiosity, what info are you trying to gather from this? How quick certain yeast strains ferment out?

Yes, I'm looking at a few various yeast strains and trying to determine how they perform during primary. Right now I don't have the space/money for a fermentation chamber that can hold two batches at once. So I'm profiling 5 yeast strains (2 Belgian, 3 Ale for pale/IPAs) to see how they perform in different conditions and styles. I'd rather find the two best all-around strains than try to stock and cultivate 4-5 different strains. if controlling fermentation temps is the only way, at least I have some empirical data to help backup that decision with SWMBO.

Years ago we used to argue whether a picture was straight or not. Now the magic of a level makes those discussions much shorter :p

Looks like maybe it didnt take off. The last price I saw for this was $498 and their website doesnt work. Innovative but for the average home brewer, thats just a bit over budget. Now, if it also had means of measuring pH during fermentation, that in itself would be worth it. Good ol' hydrometer never lies plus you get to drink the sample. Just measuring the ABV doesnt tell me anything.

The brewnanny.com page comes and goes... it usually disappears for awhile after someone posts something negative towards the project on Kickstarter then it pops back up a few days later (at least that has been the pattern for the last year). I've been checking out the KS page every week or two to see if there is any movement, and recently I found that they have banned me from viewing the KS Brewnanny page. I am able to view it though if I turn wifi off on my mobile phone. It's sad to see so many other people get screwed out of their hard earned money and have a site like Kickstarter not lift a finger to hold the "creator" of the project accountable.

I've been watching the Kickstarter page also for updates. I just realized it has been 2 years since I paid for. That's enough time to give a real update. I will be filing complaints with Massachusetts but I have to give them a notice and time to respond. I'll keep you guys updated. I did find a hydrometer today while researching the beer bug. http://tilthydrometer.com/ It looks like it's been working for the people that bought it and it's cheaper than Brewnanny.

I've been watching the Kickstarter page also for updates. I just realized it has been 2 years since I paid for. That's enough time to give a real update. I will be filing complaints with Massachusetts but I have to give them a notice and time to respond. I'll keep you guys updated. I did find a hydrometer today while researching the beer bug. http://tilthydrometer.com/ It looks like it's been working for the people that bought it and it's cheaper than Brewnanny.

I've got two of the Tilt's and they work great! Dang close to what I was expecting from the BrewNanny, but much less expensive. I would encourage anyone that is interested in a digital hydrometer to try one out. I have tried them in SS Brewtech Buckets that are in chest freezers. Amazing how well Bluetooth can travel thru all of these things.

Checkout the HBT Thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=471844

FG_Sample_sm.jpg

2016_0922Tilt_sm.jpg

BucketTOP_tiltSM.jpg

I've been watching the Kickstarter page also for updates. I just realized it has been 2 years since I paid for. That's enough time to give a real update. I will be filing complaints with Massachusetts but I have to give them a notice and time to respond. I'll keep you guys updated. I did find a hydrometer today while researching the beer bug. http://tilthydrometer.com/ It looks like it's been working for the people that bought it and it's cheaper than BrewNanny.

I'm another person who drooled over the BrewNanny at first, but couldn't stomach the price. I bought a Tilt earlier this year for about half the price and couldn't be happier. I've also used it in SS Brewtech buckets in a fridge and could still get a reliable Bluetooth signal @15' away.

In regards to BrewNanny, I can't help but quote Star Trek - "He's dead Jim!" or "I'm a doctor not a magician dammit!" After a successful Kickstarter campaign and 2 years to deliver, they've pretty much destroyed any credibility they had.

I'm BrewNanny "customer" who "purchased" one about two years ago and of course never received it (did anyone actually get theirs?) I was hesitant to purchase the Tilt after being burned by BrewNanny but in October I pulled the trigger. My Tilt arrived in less than a week despite being told it could take three weeks. After a carboy disaster a week ago (there's a related post if you care to look for it) I brewed a brown a few days ago the Tilt appears to be working great! The temperature is accurate compared to my fridge controller and the SG suggests that the beer is attenuating nicely. I'm not really even concerned by how accurate the SG reading is in the end so long as I see that fermentation is complete. For me this was money well spent and I'll be purchasing a second Tilt soon.

Back