BrewNanny - What do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chichum

Reaction score
Saw this today. I'm not sure I'd spend that much, but it seems like a pretty cool idea. Not really helpful if I have 6 brews fermenting when it's $250 a pop. What happens if you have a bigger bucket and it doesn't reach? Or what about blow-off?

brewnanny_homebrew_monitor.jpg

brewnanny_homebrew_monitor-4.jpg

http://www.gizmag.com/brewnanny-mon...ail&utm_term=0_65b67362bd-7a4fc2d033-90115941

I saw this too and thought the same thing. I usually ferment in a keg. I'm sure it could be adapted to it. I would have pulled the trigger on the early bird price.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Looks pretty cool but I think there are a couple of other things that I would spend that kinda money on before I went with the brew nanny. Perhaps another SS Brew Bucket!

Sounds to me like a $250 replacement for an airlock, pen, and notebook. I'm sure it probably does some cool tricks, but I just can't see it having anything that's really necessary for the average brewer. Could be a cool toy for those with the means to get one, though.

I dont understand how that would ever work during active fermentation with no blowoff tube if the probe is only a few inches long? Am i missing something here?

EDIT awesome idea however i must say, reminds me of my apex saltwater aquarium controller.

I might sound overly skeptical, but:
- My blowoff is likely to launch this expensive flying saucer thing right into my ceiling or fermentation chamber.
- "...the ability to gauge C02 release...": Why am a gauging CO2 release? I've never done it before and my beers turn out just fine.
- "...BrewNanny also features sensors to monitor air temperature...": I'm not worried about my air temperature, I'm worried about my beer temperature.
- "...brew temperature...": I would like a way to record the temperature of my beer.
- "...and light level...": This is not needed for me. I either put my beer in a light-proof fermentation chamber or cover it with something. I don't cover the airlock though because I want to be able to see it, refill it, and allow unimpeded access for air/CO2 to escape. If this sensor is always exposed, it will read incorrect information. But once again I say...why?

It seems to me like the only use I'd get out of this is the temperature probe...

I think it's cool. I'd use one... but not at $250. That's just ridiculous. I could do a LOT with $250!

Well I think this thing looks pretty damn cool. But I'm a gadget guy and like spending extra money on stuff like this. If you read more you'll see they have issues like blow off covered. The ability to monitor temperature and gravity without having to draw samples? Without having to leave work? Without having to wait until kids go to bed or having the wife get annoyed because I want to spend 15 minutes in the basement when I get home from work? I'm in.

It's also nice to track fermentations of similar batches when trying to dial in a recipe. Add in the temp control and it's even better.

Yeah I put in my cash.

I went Standard version first as I'd like to get my grubby hands on it before I outfit all my chambers with them.

Sounds like a winner though.

I pulled the trigger on this also. I do 10gal batches with one of those modified conical induction tanks, (been using this for about 2 years and am very pleased with it's ease of use), and am excited to see how this performs. I'm like Geoffey in that I'm a gadget guy and look forward to being able to track similarities between brews and analyze and compare what works. I started entering HB contests last year and have won about 8 awards sofar and think this may help in refining what the judges point out in various instances that I need to work on as well as establish a baseline assisting with my consistency from brew to brew of the same type. Damn that sounded anal...LOL

Does anyone have a review for this thing? I have seen some people have bought it, but there's been no feedback so far.

I guess I am interested to see if it works with high ABV brews, the quality of the software interface, and I guess just bottom line if they think it's worth it/happy with their purchase?

Does anyone have a review for this thing? I have seen some people have bought it, but there's been no feedback so far.

I guess I am interested to see if it works with high ABV brews, the quality of the software interface, and I guess just bottom line if they think it's worth it/happy with their purchase?

I don't think many, if any, have shipped. I know mine hasn't. Last update I got said they were clearing one last legal hurdle.

I have paid for mine but haven't received any shipping notification. I was under the impression that it was ready to go out the door. Still waiting. Will post review when can. I'm actually holding off on a brew so I can test it.

I don't think that this provides anything really worthwhile that building a BrewPi won't provide, and at a cheaper buy-in with the (huge) addition of temperature control. Well, aside from the FG reading, but I'm not willing to pay for a $250 hydrometer.

I saw an ad for this in BYO this month and did some google searches to find out more info. I'm surprised they aren't shipping but are advertising ala the Tucker automobile. In looking at their kickstarter link it appears that it has 2 valves which stay shut until they hit a certain value then one opens to measure escaping c02 then the other opens to allow it to vent. I ferment in glass and have to admit I was somewhat concerned about pressure building up before it hit the setpoint allowing it to vent. While it sounds intriguing I'll wait for you early adopters to chime in once/if you get your units.

Yeah, I'm taking a wait-&-see approach as well. Too expensive & it seems strange that the interface is on-line. I'd prefer it to be a self-contained program like Beersmith. Don't see why it isn't?

So will this thing give me an alert when the beer is done fermenting? Because I could get on board with THAT :tank:

Yeah, I'm taking a wait-&-see approach as well. Too expensive & it seems strange that the interface is on-line. I'd prefer it to be a self-contained program like Beersmith. Don't see why it isn't?

Why would you prefer it be a self contained program? That seems odd to me. As a web based program it allows me to access it from multiple devices, rather than be tethered to just one. It also allows the possibility of accessing it remotely, say from work or something. Curious what the pros are of being a self contained program.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Why would you prefer it be a self contained program? That seems odd to me. As a web based program it allows me to access it from multiple devices, rather than be tethered to just one. It also allows the possibility of accessing it remotely, say from work or something. Curious what the pros are of being a self contained program.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I am probably more on your side. But sometimes people don't have rock solid internet access everywhere. Especially if you're brewing in a basement or garage far away from your router?

Personally, my fermentors sit about 10' from my equipment rack with the modem and router and switch. But . . . :off:

Well, I like how BS links to the net, but not dependent on it. But I do understand they have it on the net to be accessible by all your devices, if you have 2 or more. I'd just like some flexibility in the system, like Beersmith.

Seems to me that my fermentation chamber - chest freezer would be a faraday cage and prevent the wifi from working.

I'll wait until someone clones it at 29.95

Has anyone actually gotten one of these yet? I paid for one a couple of weeks ago and have emailed them several times but get no answer(s) and haven't gotten product either.

Many of us Kickstarters have been waiting for our Brewnanny's to ship for several months.... Haven't heard anymore about shipments since before Thanksgiving... The device is supposed to be accessed via your local network thru a browser as it is supposed to have a built in webserver.

is it just me or does this seem like a product that's a great concept but probably running into all kinds of issues now that it's been "kickstarted"

is it just me or does this seem like a product that's a great concept but probably running into all kinds of issues now that it's been "kickstarted"

At this point it's getting more and more likely. Still no further information from Brewnanny... Also no one has come forward indicating that they have either received or has used one yet.

Maybe it's time to call them out on it. Seems to me they'd have a certain amount of time to ship after taking your money?...

Gary Lyon, the inventor and founder of BrewNanny, has been pretty forthright. We aren't getting weekly updates, but he has made it clear they are purposely spending their efforts working on the product rather than answering hundreds of emails per day.

Still, any backer frustration is pretty well warranted at this point. It's either a complete scam OR we will eventually get the killer product we hoped for when we backed them.

Gary Lyon, the inventor and founder of BrewNanny, has been pretty forthright. We aren't getting weekly updates, but he has made it clear they are purposely spending their efforts working on the product rather than answering hundreds of emails per day.

Still, any backer frustration is pretty well warranted at this point. It's either a complete scam OR we will eventually get the killer product we hoped for when we backed them.

If they were claiming they would ship Dec 1st it should be LONG past the point where they are "working on the product".

If they were claiming they would ship Dec 1st it should be LONG past the point where they are "working on the product".

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant to say they are assembling product and shipping. His last update (just a couple weeks ago) indicated the whole staff was working on this rather than replying to email inquiries.

I'm starting to think it's a scam.

Brewnanny did do full page advertisements in BYO & Zumurgy an issue or two ago. Although it does feel like a scam - I keep telling myself that I had to wait 14 months for my Beer Bugs (thru their kickstarter campaign) to arrive - past their original ship date. The Beer Bug dudes did what Brewnanny is doing... dragging it out with promising emails.

Back