Bottle Conditioning Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S.R.S

Reaction score
Forgive me for previously raising similar.
John Palmer explains that bottles should be conditioned up to 30c for 2 weeks. Mine have just gone in at 25c. Any thoughts on this?

Up to 30C is key. Your temp will work fine. Most people just put bottles in closet/pantry/corner of a room/etc at whatever temp their house is at. Your bottles should be nicely carbonated in 2 weeks time

As has been said, if all questions were ever only answered once on here, there'd be nothing to do. So no worries.
30°C or 86°F seems a little high but sure, why not. I like your 25°C better or even a little lower. So that's an okay temperature. It can take a short time (five days) to a long time (a month or more) to carbonate properly.

My house rarely gets above 65f (18 c) most of the year. And even at those temperatures I've never had bottles not fully carb'd within 14 days. I've even checked a few after 10 days and they were carb'd.

Yeast works faster at higher temps....to a limit. Then they start slowing down as it gets warmer and finally at a high enough temp they die. They also work slower as the temperature goes down until they finally stop. The 30C temperature mentioned is a good high temp limit and about 18 should be your low limit. The yeast will still carbonate at cooler temps (maybe not all yeasts) but will be much slower.

As an anecdote, I have started fermentation at about 56F (13C) with Nottingham and it fermented very nicely although slow.

I carb mine upstairs where it is around 22c (72f) for two weeks then move them downstairs to where it is 18c (65f) for two weeks and then into the closet which is about 15c (60f) to store until I drink them.

Usually the time at two weeks warm is enough but I had an Amber that needed a week at the cooler temp for both cases to be sufficiently carbed. Hence the two weeks at 18c

Forgive me for previously raising similar.
John Palmer explains that bottles should be conditioned up to 30c for 2 weeks. Mine have just gone in at 25c. Any thoughts on this?
i brew in my pole barn where my 220v power source to run the brew rig is. I ferment , bottle and condition and my basement where the temp currently is in the 58-64*F temp range. In the summer its gotten up towards 80*F .So, I brew according to the seasons and yeast requirements. I generally condition for no less than 10 days and have a consistently carbonated bottle. However, if you let it age past that point, the carbonation level remains the same but the flavors improve over a 10 day green beer...some a month , some a year.

Back