Bottle bomb worry with voss kveik

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashun

Reaction score
I just brewed my 3rd 5 gallon extract batch with voss kveik strain. It fermented at 85 degrees in my garage. OG was 1.044 and FG finished at 1.006. Bottled after two weeks with 5 oz. of table sugar that I boiled in 2 cups of water. My worry is I sampled one at 5 days in and it was fully carbed. I tried another after 7 days because of the first one being so carbed and it was even a little more fizzy. I usually wait at least two weeks to start putting them in the fridge to start drinking, but I'm getting a little worried about them being possibly dangerous. All the bottles are in my closet at room temp., 74 degrees. The beer taste really good so I don't think they are infected. Should I be worried?

They may be fine, but if it were me, I'd put them in the fridge at this point rather than worry about potential bottle bombs.

Yup, into the fridge if they are properly carbonated now when cold. I have been using 4 oz of corn sugar to carbonate 5 gallon batches. And did it end up 5 gallons (count your 12 oz and 22 oz and do the math)? Some extra corn sugar can make the bottles gush some upon opening, but I have never felt them to be dangerous.

You are usually safe with 1 ounce per gallon. May be on the high side, but could be good depending upon style you brewed.

A batch of NEIPA that I fermented with Omega Hothead Kveik, carbed up in 3 days. I bottled one in a soda bottle to check. They have not overcarbed now, 2 weeks later.
By the way, despite the fact that you always get 5oz. of dextrose in a kit, that's usually a bit too much sugar. Next time, use a priming calculator. I'm seldom over 4.4oz and usually closer to 4.1, depending on the style and temp.

Recipe was not a kit. It was a recipe I formulated. I used a priming sugar calculator. I had 4.8 gallons and was shooting for 2.7 volumes of co2. It said 4.9 oz of table sugar. I did an IPA the batch before this with the same amount of sugar with no problems. I used hot head yeast on that one. But fermented at 75 degrees. I guess I'll just put them all in the fridge and hope for the best. Thanks

Back