BeerSmith3 - how accurate is the mash pH estimation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eltomek

Reaction score
I wonder how accurate and reliable the mash pH estimation in this software is assuming we dial in all needed water parameters (my water supplier does provide pretty precise chemistry details).

The pH strips that I use are next to useless (for me at least) as I can't clearly tell the difference between the colors when the strip gets wet.

On the other hand an electronic pH meter requires calibration and quite careful treatment which I'm not sure I want to complicate my life with so I started to wonder if relying on BS3 estimation is a good idea for homebrewing or not (I think I need a precision of something close to +/- 0.2 pH).

All mash pH prediction software is right sometimes, just like a broken clock.

I wonder how accurate and reliable the mash pH estimation in this software is assuming we dial in all needed water parameters (my water supplier does provide pretty precise chemistry details).

The pH strips that I use are next to useless (for me at least) as I can't clearly tell the difference between the colors when the strip gets wet.

On the other hand an electronic pH meter requires calibration and quite careful treatment which I'm not sure I want to complicate my life with so I started to wonder if relying on BS3 estimation is a good idea for homebrewing or not (I think I need a precision of something close to +/- 0.2 pH).
Bru’n water tends to be the closest for me.

The BeerSmith pH predictor works fine for me. It does overestimate the buffering capability of the wort and predicts the addition to too much acid acidulated malt, or base (sodium bicarbonate) required for tuning the pH, but the basic model is fairly good with the malts and basic mineral salt additions. That said, if you do not have a pH meter to check the pH for a few brews to see how it performs with your process then you are just rolling the dice, so to speak. Any of the programs I have tried will get you in the ball park of the predicted pH. Fine tuning it to work well for you requires measurement and adjustment.

I have been using BS3 and while it does give great water profiles and salt additions, I do not use their pH calculation. As mentioned above, their number is way too high. I have been using Mash Made Easy (MME) with great success.

Currently, I am transitioning from BS3 to Brewfather and am comparing Brewfather's pH calculator to MME.

I find BS3 to be fairly accurate in PH calculation so far. I try to use acid malt additions to get it where I want when designing a recipe, if I do go for lactic then I put the % up to 120% which has worked for me.
I am using a Hanna Beer PH meter which I calibrate every 2-3 brews. Its not that much of a pita, you just need to take care of them, and whatever you do, dont lend it to a mate :)

Back