Favorite mash pH level (room temp) for IPAs and most accurate water treatment calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CyberFox

Reaction score
For anyone who has personal experience with trying out different mash pH levels for highly hopped IPAs (12+ ounces of hops), what is your favorite mash pH level and why? To avoid confusion, I'm speaking about mash pH measured at room temperature.

What is considered the most accurate water treatment calculator these days regarding mash pH?

Thanks in advance! :mug:

Ideal mash ph has nothing to with hops in my opinion 5.2 to 5.4 is what I aim for, maybe that's a little on the side but 5.4 I would say is my norm. That said you can measure and adjust ph at anytime for ipas. So if you wanted to compensate for the increase in ph from your hop addition you could take a ph reading say after flameout or whatever and add acid to achieve the ph you want in the fermenter. As for calculators I don't use them for ph I sent my water to ward labs, I correct my alkalinity with acid before I do anything else then use beersmith for salt additions. This typically results in a mash ph of 5.2 to 5.4 I personally have not added acid post mash because I haven't found the need to. But maybe I'll try it someday and see if there is any noticeable benefit.

Back