Basement Bar Build Thread!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night I got the third coat of polyurethane on the bar and countertops, and I got the back of the bar built (minus the top right shelf pins that I was four short on).

20161219_013235.jpg

20161219_013241.jpg

20161219_013226.jpg

The bottles are there just to see how it will look once I'm done. I still need to polyurethane all of the shelves.

great job, looks fantastic! I also went with pendants, and love them. You can always build an overhead later if you choose, looks like you obviously know what you're doing with regards to carpentry and electric. One thing you might want at some point is an icemaker, as long as you already have water lines there. I solved this by using an over/under drawer fridge/freezer with the icemaker in the bottom freezer compartment.

Thanks. I had considered an icemaker, but my wife drinks wine and I drink beer, so the only time we use ice is when we are entertaining, so keeping a bag of ice in the freezer works for us.

I have not personally heard the speakers he is talking about myself but MAN do they look nice! I think for the money Paradigm is hands down a total bargain and worth every penny! My entire sound system is Paradigm and it truly is the best sounding home theater system I have ever heard. It is crisp, full, very deep, room consuming and can be incredibly loud as well!

Good luck!

Cheers
Jay

Thanks. I'll check out these speakers. Any suggestions on specific models?

I prefer my music at concert volume levels. For my home theater system I have Klipsch RF-7 series with a SVS subwoofer, and for my basement 2 channel system I have some vintage Klipsch Forte's driven with a tube amp. Klipsch speakers utilize horn drivers for the high end which don't need a lot of power to fill the room with sound. I purchased both sets used, compared to the new prices they were a fraction of the cost.

Thanks. I'll check out Klipsch.

Nice build. I can highly recommend the Gold series of Monitor Audio. I have a 5.2 system set up with the fix surrounds and it rocks. The front gold 300's sound wonderful in 2 ch music listening.

http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/products/gold/gold-300

Congrats again on the awesome bar build!

Thanks for the link!

Where is the cooler going for the keg taps? I am assuming the other side of the wall but what are you using there? Picts?

The build looks AMAZING!

Cheers
Jay

Love the polyurethane coats. Just looks better every day. You are cool haven't forgotten about you. Will probably post some more thoughts tonight.

Got the fourth coat of polyurethane on the bar and counter, and got the first coat on the back of the bar.

I also drilled the holes for the tap system.

20161219_234648.jpg

Where is the cooler going for the keg taps? I am assuming the other side of the wall but what are you using there? Picts?

The build looks AMAZING!

Cheers
Jay

You're correct. It is on the other side of the wall. The plan is to put a collar on, and run two 4" PVC pipes to a box I'll create around the back of the tap system. I plan to air cool the lines with a computer fan. If that doesn't work, I'll liquid cool it with a small pond pump.

Here are some pictures

20161219_193139.jpg

20161219_193132.jpg

And some goodies for the tap system

20161219_193150.jpg

You're correct. It is on the other side of the wall. The plan is to put a collar on, and run two 4" PVC pipes to a box I'll create around the back of the tap system. I plan to air cool the lines with a computer fan. If that doesn't work, I'll liquid cool it with a small pond pump.

Here are some pictures

20161219_193139.jpg

20161219_193132.jpg

And some goodies for the tap system

20161219_193150.jpg

I am officially super FKN jealous! Dude, this build is TOP NOTCH! What a KILLER use of the space! What killer work! The only question is...........................When are we invited for cocktail hour..Or weekend?

Well done!

Cheers
Jay

I am officially super FKN jealous! Dude, this build is TOP NOTCH! What a KILLER use of the space! What killer work! The only question is...........................When are we invited for cocktail hour..Or weekend?

Well done!

Cheers
Jay

Thanks! I'm glad it's coming together after all the hard work that had gone into it. I'll check with the scheduling department (the wife, of course) on when we have open cocktail hours. Lol

I have really been racking my brain thinking about how to help you best. There are some key questions though that we would all need to know to help you with an audio solution. One of which is are you opposed to buying used? Another is what is your budget? Another question is what do you have currently that you're planning to use? If you want to remain in a low budget but also get some really good sounding speakers you will need to buy used . That being said there are some really awesome value speakers that are affordable new.

I guess I have to preface this post by saying that I like Bowers & Wilkins speakers. I don't know if they are the best or the best value but I have been drawn to them for a few reasons. First I research almost everything I buy and I just didn't want to research high-end speakers so they seemed like a company that was trustworthy as high quality. This has been backed up in enough reviews and opinions. Since they make so many speakers they are easily and readily available on the used Market, which made them ideal for me. That way they are easy to sell and easy to find. What really sealed the deal for me was when I found out they make every part for every speaker pretty much they have ever made going back to the seventies. This is confirmed on their website. Note they are now making their new stuff in China. The word on the street is quality has remained High. I have now owned six different types of them. Every single pair of them has been good and super high quality. Every pair has been used and not one pair has had a problem. I'm not saying you should buy them I'm just saying that I like this company for the above reasons. Just recently I took a pair of my v202 which were the lowest models in their day in the nineties and put them in my kids room with a cheap $12 amp from Goodwill. This system would surprise you and it's quality of sound and would certainly probably be enough for you. Best Buy sales B&W speakers and you should start by going to a Best Buy and listening to high-end B&W speakers compared to the rest of what they have. That will at least give you a framework to go by. The bottom line is the balance between what you need, what you can afford, and how long you're willing to wait. I think it's good to see this as a long-term process and not a final destination. Start with a good set of speakers. Then you get an amp. Then some better components. And over time you build a system. Note that the speakers are also very attractive. My wife who was the maddest person in the entire world as I started to compile systems has quickly fallen in love with our speakers. It's become a hobby of ours to hang out and listen to music.*

It's really cool though that there are some really nice affordable options. Some have already been mentioned. I have heard that Paradigm speakers sound good for the money. Andrew Jones the famous designer of the pioneer SP 22, which I just saw a pair of on eBay for $50 went to a German company named elac and made the debut B6. It was compared to the $700 a pair B&W 685 by CNETs Steve Guttenberg. Mostly though if you don't want to spend a lot of money you need to buy used. And if you're someone who doesn't like to buy used and don't want to spend a lot of money then you need to research these more affordable value options. Anyways I hope I have helped at least a little bit and look forward to helping you find a good fit.

Merry Christmas everyone!

The bar is visually finished now... But it still needs some work. Plumbing is still not done (I f'ing hate plumbing), and I need to refinish the bar top. I put the last polyurethane coat on too thick, and it is tacky and wrinkling. Oh well. I need to sand it down and refinish it...

Tonight I had about twenty people over for a Christmas Eve party. The bar was a major hit!

20161224_163634.jpg

20161224_163806.jpg

20161224_163750.jpg

I have really been racking my brain thinking about how to help you best. There are some key questions though that we would all need to know to help you with an audio solution. One of which is are you opposed to buying used? Another is what is your budget? Another question is what do you have currently that you're planning to use? If you want to remain in a low budget but also get some really good sounding speakers you will need to buy used . That being said there are some really awesome value speakers that are affordable new.

I guess I have to preface this post by saying that I like Bowers & Wilkins speakers. I don't know if they are the best or the best value but I have been drawn to them for a few reasons. First I research almost everything I buy and I just didn't want to research high-end speakers so they seemed like a company that was trustworthy as high quality. This has been backed up in enough reviews and opinions. Since they make so many speakers they are easily and readily available on the used Market, which made them ideal for me. That way they are easy to sell and easy to find. What really sealed the deal for me was when I found out they make every part for every speaker pretty much they have ever made going back to the seventies. This is confirmed on their website. Note they are now making their new stuff in China. The word on the street is quality has remained High. I have now owned six different types of them. Every single pair of them has been good and super high quality. Every pair has been used and not one pair has had a problem. I'm not saying you should buy them I'm just saying that I like this company for the above reasons. Just recently I took a pair of my v202 which were the lowest models in their day in the nineties and put them in my kids room with a cheap $12 amp from Goodwill. This system would surprise you and it's quality of sound and would certainly probably be enough for you. Best Buy sales B&W speakers and you should start by going to a Best Buy and listening to high-end B&W speakers compared to the rest of what they have. That will at least give you a framework to go by. The bottom line is the balance between what you need, what you can afford, and how long you're willing to wait. I think it's good to see this as a long-term process and not a final destination. Start with a good set of speakers. Then you get an amp. Then some better components. And over time you build a system. Note that the speakers are also very attractive. My wife who was the maddest person in the entire world as I started to compile systems has quickly fallen in love with our speakers. It's become a hobby of ours to hang out and listen to music.*

It's really cool though that there are some really nice affordable options. Some have already been mentioned. I have heard that Paradigm speakers sound good for the money. Andrew Jones the famous designer of the pioneer SP 22, which I just saw a pair of on eBay for $50 went to a German company named elac and made the debut B6. It was compared to the $700 a pair B&W 685 by CNETs Steve Guttenberg. Mostly though if you don't want to spend a lot of money you need to buy used. And if you're someone who doesn't like to buy used and don't want to spend a lot of money then you need to research these more affordable value options. Anyways I hope I have helped at least a little bit and look forward to helping you find a good fit.

Thanks for this detailed post. My wife was just making noise about getting some speakers. I'm definitely not opposed to getting better quality by buying used. I'll have to look into some of these brands you mentioned.

All right, I got a chance to look into this a bit more. With the holidays, work, and the bar build, I haven't had a bunch of free time. My budget for speakers is fairly low; probably around $200-$300 tops... at least at this point. Now, I know very little about speakers and such. What I want are some speakers for the TV, which is connected to Chromecast, which is where I play all of my music from. I want to be able to control it with Google Home. I'm assuming that any speaker can be made to do this, so long as it is connected to the TV, which then controls the speakers, correct?

As I said, I'm not opposed to buying used... But I also like buying new.

And what do I need? Just an amp and speakers? What wattage should I be looking at? In both the amp and the speakers? As you can tell, I don't know much about this.

Thanks!

I do not know how Google home works so I cannot speak for it. I'm assuming with technology it will control your Google amplifier and Google speakers.

consider this. By the time you spend two or $300 on an amplifier and receivers that can run Google home and connect to the internet and all this other stuff, what do you think was left for the actual sound reproduction and/or sound quality. Too much of a good thing might be a bad thing. Yeah I am sure for 2 or $300 you might be able to find something similar but what kind of quality could you really expect. Also me personally I find hitting the volume on the remote or turning a knob, much easier than farting around with my phone to control everything. An old receiver can be made Bluetooth simply by a cheap $25 Belkin dongle. So as people are dumping amazing quality receivers to get Bluetooth, I am waiting in the wings like a bad magician.

Your TV unless it has an amplifier built in will not control volume or speakers. It's sends audio out signal but without power to run speakers. If your TV does send power that's pretty cool. My old Pioneer big screen had a kick a.. amp in the bottom. You can however run something like that with speakers that have built-in power like computer speakers. And they are a decent option. I actually kind of thought this might be a good option for you. It will require no amp. The speakers have the power built in. And for two or $300 you can get a decent sounding pair. I don't think you would sound any better than my $60 B&W, Goodwill amp, set up but it has some nice benefits. You don't need an amp and there's less chords. The downfall is you can't hook a lot of things up to it. But if you're only going to use the stereo to watch TV and or listen to music through Chromecast and put it in the TV you can use computer speakers or a soundbar.

That quality is going to be far less than the worst of worst systems. You will be able to find something new for 2 or $300 that has speakers and all the things you want but honestly how could all that be packed into one with any kind of quality.

For the other route you simply need an amp and some speakers. Don't worry about wattage or any of that for now because you will be looking at spending $250 on some used speakers which is a decent budget and $50 for a used amp, which can be had easily through Craigslist or Goodwill. You will need my help and I will gladly help you setting up a simple amp with some speakers. Some of it depends on what output your TV has. I actually had a TV that only has optical digital out. I had to buy an optical to RCA adapter for the amp I had at the time. But if your TV has RCA audio out than any little amp will do for now and you'll spend the budget on the best speakers you can find. Tell me where you live and I'll check your Craigslist ads and help advise you if you want to get a nice pair used. As for the sound bar option or computer speaker option you just buy a computer speaker and hook it up to your TV and you're good to go. I'm just kind of scratching the surface along here feel free to ask any questions I don't mind helping. Trying to keep this simple. Either an amp and speakers or powered speakers basically are the main options. Here's a pic of some powered speakers . I've heard some of these sound good.

Last a gentleman did tell me he bought some Bluetooth speakers that he said has his whole house wired with and they're all connected to the internet and Bluetooth. They were called sonos and i think they're what you were talking about. He said they sounded good and they were like $250.

View attachment 1482892475820.jpg

View attachment 1482892484630.jpg

View attachment 1482892492885.jpg

I do not know how Google home works so I cannot speak for it. I'm assuming with technology it will control your Google amplifier and Google speakers.

consider this. By the time you spend two or $300 on an amplifier and receivers that can run Google home and connect to the internet and all this other stuff, what do you think was left for the actual sound reproduction and/or sound quality. Too much of a good thing might be a bad thing. Yeah I am sure for 2 or $300 you might be able to find something similar but what kind of quality could you really expect. Also me personally I find hitting the volume on the remote or turning a knob, much easier than farting around with my phone to control everything. An old receiver can be made Bluetooth simply by a cheap $25 Belkin dongle. So as people are dumping amazing quality receivers to get Bluetooth, I am waiting in the wings like a bad magician.

Your TV unless it has an amplifier built in will not control volume or speakers. It's sends audio out signal but without power to run speakers. If your TV does send power that's pretty cool. My old Pioneer big screen had a kick a.. amp in the bottom. You can however run something like that with speakers that have built-in power like computer speakers. And they are a decent option. I actually kind of thought this might be a good option for you. It will require no amp. The speakers have the power built in. And for two or $300 you can get a decent sounding pair. I don't think you would sound any better than my $60 B&W, Goodwill amp, set up but it has some nice benefits. You don't need an amp and there's less chords. The downfall is you can't hook a lot of things up to it. But if you're only going to use the stereo to watch TV and or listen to music through Chromecast and put it in the TV you can use computer speakers or a soundbar.

That quality is going to be far less than the worst of worst systems. You will be able to find something new for 2 or $300 that has speakers and all the things you want but honestly how could all that be packed into one with any kind of quality.

For the other route you simply need an amp and some speakers. Don't worry about wattage or any of that for now because you will be looking at spending $250 on some used speakers which is a decent budget and $50 for a used amp, which can be had easily through Craigslist or Goodwill. You will need my help and I will gladly help you setting up a simple amp with some speakers. Some of it depends on what output your TV has. I actually had a TV that only has optical digital out. I had to buy an optical to RCA adapter for the amp I had at the time. But if your TV has RCA audio out than any little amp will do for now and you'll spend the budget on the best speakers you can find. Tell me where you live and I'll check your Craigslist ads and help advise you if you want to get a nice pair used. As for the sound bar option or computer speaker option you just buy a computer speaker and hook it up to your TV and you're good to go. I'm just kind of scratching the surface along here feel free to ask any questions I don't mind helping. Trying to keep this simple. Either an amp and speakers or powered speakers basically are the main options. Here's a pic of some powered speakers . I've heard some of these sound good.

Last a gentleman did tell me he bought some Bluetooth speakers that he said has his whole house wired with and they're all connected to the internet and Bluetooth. They were called sonos and i think they're what you were talking about. He said they sounded good and they were like $250.

The Google Home is similar to Amazon Echo. It is basically just voice control. So, when I'm on the couch (or behind the bar), I just tell it to raise or lower volume. On my big TV in my living room upstairs, I have a 5.1 surround sound for it. I control this with my TV remote or with the Google Home. But, the TV is Vizio, and so is the surround sound, so it was designed that way.

To be honest, having the capability to control the volume with my tv remote (rather than have a bunch of remotes for different things) or my voice might be more important than sound quality to me... Assuming we're not talking only the crappy built-in TV speakers. But, I'm not 100% set on this.

So with an amp and speakers, would I be able to control with the TV? Or would that require a separate knob/remote? Same question goes with powered speakers as well.

I have been looking on Craigslist recently for some speakers, and didn't stumble across too much. I look in the Scranton section of CL.

Thanks for all your help!

I haven't been spending much time on the computer (other than work!) lately, so I haven't posted an update. The sink is in and plumbed. I used an undersink drain pump since my house drain pipe sits about 8 feet above the sink drain. It works beautifully.

20161230_152644-XL.jpg

20161230_153754-X2.jpg

The bar is done, except for refinishing the bar and counter surfaces, which isn't a necessity, but something that I will be doing for aesthetics.

Next step will be to get the tap system and kegerator put together and in working order. I'm embarassed to say this, but I don't have a single beer in primary or secondary at the moment. I've really got to get some brewing done so I can have something to serve once the tap system is up and running.

The Google Home is similar to Amazon Echo. It is basically just voice control. So, when I'm on the couch (or behind the bar), I just tell it to raise or lower volume. On my big TV in my living room upstairs, I have a 5.1 surround sound for it. I control this with my TV remote or with the Google Home. But, the TV is Vizio, and so is the surround sound, so it was designed that way.

To be honest, having the capability to control the volume with my tv remote (rather than have a bunch of remotes for different things) or my voice might be more important than sound quality to me... Assuming we're not talking only the crappy built-in TV speakers. But, I'm not 100% set on this.

So with an amp and speakers, would I be able to control with the TV? Or would that require a separate knob/remote? Same question goes with powered speakers as well.

I have been looking on Craigslist recently for some speakers, and didn't stumble across too much. I look in the Scranton section of CL.

Thanks for all your help!

I'm not 100% certain on this but I think with powered speakers as you turn the TV up they go up. Not every TV works this way and if your powered speakers don't come with a remote you could have a problem. Generally though when you turn the speakers up you turn those crappy TV speakers up to. The fix for this is to set your powered speakers high and your TV low so you can turn the powered speakers up quickly without turning up too much of the television. I actually did this for a lot of years before my eyes were opened to good sound quality.

I just took some Altec Lansing powered computer speakers out of my kids room and I would love to mail them to you. But I think the shipping would be way over what they are worth. I think the Sonos might be a good option for you. You should look into them. I'm not sure how newer smarter TVs work, but generally you need a separate remote for your stereo. It can easily be solved with a cheap universal remote. You can even use your dish or Comcast remote as they usually have Universal options. The Sonos I think run on voice commands. My mom got me an Amazon Echo for Christmas and it's fun. And you can hook that into your stereo and set your stereo volume in the middle. Once again I'm not sure on this because I'm new to this equipment, but I think you can tell the echo to turn up and it will turn up the volume. But make no mistake it's hooked into a 4000 - $5,000 stereo system and ultimately that is what's going to provide Joy and entertainment not the echo. I think I paid 1300 for the system buying everything used over the years.

I hope someone who really knows smart home gear can help you out more than me!

In summation, the Sonos and other smart speakers might be what you are looking for. Also it is possible that your TV might turn up powered speakers. If they don't I guess you could always return them. Your phone and a universal remote will always be good options around that. And last you will be sacrificing sound quality for this smartness, but the convenience might outweigh the negatives for you. Feel free to post a link to anything you are thinking about and I will gladly check it over and help you understand it if needed. Best wishes and glad you are at least considering your options.

A final thought is to go to BestBuy and listen to Bowers & Wilkins speakers and then their smart gear. This will help you a lot in making a choice. I would guess they have plenty of smart options for you. Just make sure it's at Magnolia store.

I'm not 100% certain on this but I think with powered speakers as you turn the TV up they go up. Not every TV works this way and if your powered speakers don't come with a remote you could have a problem. Generally though when you turn the speakers up you turn those crappy TV speakers up to. The fix for this is to set your powered speakers high and your TV low so you can turn the powered speakers up quickly without turning up too much of the television. I actually did this for a lot of years before my eyes were opened to good sound quality.

I just took some Altec Lansing powered computer speakers out of my kids room and I would love to mail them to you. But I think the shipping would be way over what they are worth. I think the Sonos might be a good option for you. You should look into them. I'm not sure how newer smarter TVs work, but generally you need a separate remote for your stereo. It can easily be solved with a cheap universal remote. You can even use your dish or Comcast remote as they usually have Universal options. The Sonos I think run on voice commands. My mom got me an Amazon Echo for Christmas and it's fun. And you can hook that into your stereo and set your stereo volume in the middle. Once again I'm not sure on this because I'm new to this equipment, but I think you can tell the echo to turn up and it will turn up the volume. But make no mistake it's hooked into a 4000 - $5,000 stereo system and ultimately that is what's going to provide Joy and entertainment not the echo. I think I paid 1300 for the system buying everything used over the years.

I hope someone who really knows smart home gear can help you out more than me!

In summation, the Sonos and other smart speakers might be what you are looking for. Also it is possible that your TV might turn up powered speakers. If they don't I guess you could always return them. Your phone and a universal remote will always be good options around that. And last you will be sacrificing sound quality for this smartness, but the convenience might outweigh the negatives for you. Feel free to post a link to anything you are thinking about and I will gladly check it over and help you understand it if needed. Best wishes and glad you are at least considering your options.

A final thought is to go to BestBuy and listen to Bowers & Wilkins speakers and then their smart gear. This will help you a lot in making a choice. I would guess they have plenty of smart options for you. Just make sure it's at Magnolia store.

I just saw this. I missed it when you first posted.

Going to BestBuy to actually listen to the different speakers is a great suggestion. I'll also look into the Sonos and other smart speakers.

Question, what do you think of this surround sound system? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-5-1-channel-soundbar-system-with-bluetooth-and-6-wireless-subwoofer-black/8761077.p?skuId=8761077&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=2828a081-9e0a-4a81-b1db-da9eeb5d5611&ksprof_id=16&ksaffcode=pg118897&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2&gclid=COmaruyps9ECFd6IswodBQENkw

It's very similar to the one I already have for my living room television. As is obvious at this point, I'm not an audiophile, but it sounds great to me... And I love the surround sound when watching tv.

For what it's worth the Sono's gear is awesome but still quite pricey. Since you have such easy access to the back sides of your walls have you considered in-wall speakers? I installed a total of (8) Polk in-wall speakers during my basement remodel along with a single Polk powered sub. I am also not an audiophile. I just wanted something out of the way that had decent sound while brewing and entertaining.

A set of these (or two smaller sets) and a powered sub would likely fit nicely into your budget. The other nice thing is that you can paint or otherwise cover the covers so they blend with the rest of your decor.

In-Wall:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006I5O6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Sub:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002KVQBA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

You can see in this photo two mounted behind my TV that are not covered as well as two (one visible) above my pool table covered with some aluminum sheet I bought off McMaster Carr. I have the sub in a cubby under the TV. My setup isn't the cheapest you can get but it's still loads less than you'd spend on Sonos.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw this. I missed it when you first posted.

Going to BestBuy to actually listen to the different speakers is a great suggestion. I'll also look into the Sonos and other smart speakers.

Question, what do you think of this surround sound system? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-5...ef:212,loc:2&gclid=COmaruyps9ECFd6IswodBQENkw

It's very similar to the one I already have for my living room television. As is obvious at this point, I'm not an audiophile, but it sounds great to me... And I love the surround sound when watching tv.

Hope you will let us know what you thought after going to best buy. I do not like the vizio all in one package you posted. With all due respect and honesty, if I met you in the parking lot and you had just bought it brand spanking new and we're trying to give it to me, I wouldn't accept it. I wouldn't have any place for it. At Best Buy when you compare nice Bowers & Wilkins speakers with those you will understand more why I feel that way. Even though I know you're not an audiophile you will certainly be able to understand the difference. My wife sure can and she doesn't care and that being said she loves our speakers very very much and tells me often. This coming from somebody who was about ready to kill me for buying them. I was at my brother-in-law's last night, he has all this junky stuff. Just sounded blaring and bad. He found some B&W speakers at Goodwill for 10 bucks. I'm encouraging him to just use those only. He constantly confuses more and bigger with better. It's very easy to do. Cheers!

Hows the dart game? I would love to play more darts.

Hey Max,

I just wanted to post letting you know that I've been poking at my Dad for years to build a bar in his basement, but he'd always inevitably come to the conclusion that it "wouldn't look professional, without hiring a professional..." and that was usually the end of the conversation. After I showed him your build, specifically, he's finally on board and we're now in the beginning stages of sussing out a bar build of our own. I'm incredibly jealous of how your build turned out, it's almost nearly my personal dream build, even down to the stain shade. It's just absolutely gorgeous and incredibly classic looking.

This is a small, simple suggestion, but have you thought about adding small hooks under the bar on the patron side? I always enjoy when a bar has those to hang a jacket, purse or hat in between chairs.

I also know exactly what you're talking about when you say Google Home. I can personally assure you that if you purchase speakers that are able to be hooked up to your HDTV via an Optical Audio Port, Chromecast and Google Home will be able to control the speaker volume perfectly fine. I know how you're feeling, wading into home speakers can be a bit daunting at first. I would personally wait until your budget comes up a bit before investing in a set of speakers/home system. It's worth it to have a bit of a higher budget.

Congratulations on everything, I'll be following this and your keezer thread.

Hope you will let us know what you thought after going to best buy. I do not like the vizio all in one package you posted. With all due respect and honesty, if I met you in the parking lot and you had just bought it brand spanking new and we're trying to give it to me, I wouldn't accept it. I wouldn't have any place for it. At Best Buy when you compare nice Bowers & Wilkins speakers with those you will understand more why I feel that way. Even though I know you're not an audiophile you will certainly be able to understand the difference. My wife sure can and she doesn't care and that being said she loves our speakers very very much and tells me often. This coming from somebody who was about ready to kill me for buying them. I was at my brother-in-law's last night, he has all this junky stuff. Just sounded blaring and bad. He found some B&W speakers at Goodwill for 10 bucks. I'm encouraging him to just use those only. He constantly confuses more and bigger with better. It's very easy to do. Cheers!

Hows the dart game? I would love to play more darts.

I've had no time to go to Best Buy. Unfortunately I had about a 90 hour work week last week. But, once I do, I'll definitely report back. I'm just concerned that once I do, I'll hate my upstairs surround sound! :D

I LOVE darts. I'm no good at it, but love to play regardless. :tank:

Hey Max,

I just wanted to post letting you know that I've been poking at my Dad for years to build a bar in his basement, but he'd always inevitably come to the conclusion that it "wouldn't look professional, without hiring a professional..." and that was usually the end of the conversation. After I showed him your build, specifically, he's finally on board and we're now in the beginning stages of sussing out a bar build of our own. I'm incredibly jealous of how your build turned out, it's almost nearly my personal dream build, even down to the stain shade. It's just absolutely gorgeous and incredibly classic looking.

This is a small, simple suggestion, but have you thought about adding small hooks under the bar on the patron side? I always enjoy when a bar has those to hang a jacket, purse or hat in between chairs.

I also know exactly what you're talking about when you say Google Home. I can personally assure you that if you purchase speakers that are able to be hooked up to your HDTV via an Optical Audio Port, Chromecast and Google Home will be able to control the speaker volume perfectly fine. I know how you're feeling, wading into home speakers can be a bit daunting at first. I would personally wait until your budget comes up a bit before investing in a set of speakers/home system. It's worth it to have a bit of a higher budget.

Congratulations on everything, I'll be following this and your keezer thread.

Wow. The fact that my build is an inspiration for your bar build at your dad's is a huge compliment. Thank you.

I've always said that you don't need to hire someone to do most things if you have the drive to do it yourself. What we (as non-professionals) lack in skill, we make up for in our drive to do well. Nobody will ever care about your stuff as much as you do. My job has NOTHING to do with building or contractor work, but I've always done my own work, learned along the way, and, most importantly, when I am doing my own work, I care about every little detail.

Make sure to post a link here to your build thread!

I have actually already decided to add hooks to my bar, by popular demand. I had never thought of such a thing, and didn't realize how common that is at bars.

I may have to increase my sound system budget, from the sounds of it...

Sure^^honored you would ask. I've never heard of that brand and what you sent me made me want to like them. The problem was I started thinking about how they got 1500 watts of power and 6 speakers into one package deal at that price for any quality. Then the fact you found a deal and a quick ebay search revealed them selling for 300 dollars; i jumped ship there. I noticed the ledge in the tv area. Are you hoping to wall mount, fit on that ledge, install a wall shelf? You could maybe bring your Vizio down and get something different upstairs. I would start with wherever I spent the most time.

Looky what I got for 400 this weekend. Bw cdm7se speakers. Retailed for 1800 in 1998. They arent as clear as my cm4s but man they have that special factor. These are close to the real deal (close but far).

View attachment 1484795163531.jpg

Wow. The fact that my build is an inspiration for your bar build at your dad's is a huge compliment. Thank you.

I've always said that you don't need to hire someone to do most things if you have the drive to do it yourself. What we (as non-professionals) lack in skill, we make up for in our drive to do well. Nobody will ever care about your stuff as much as you do. My job has NOTHING to do with building or contractor work, but I've always done my own work, learned along the way, and, most importantly, when I am doing my own work, I care about every little detail.

Make sure to post a link here to your build thread!

I have actually already decided to add hooks to my bar, by popular demand. I had never thought of such a thing, and didn't realize how common that is at bars.

I may have to increase my sound system budget, from the sounds of it...

I don't post often on the boards, but I use them constantly for inspiration, and your build is one of the best (per my personal taste), and my Dad thinks so too. Just like you, our jobs have nothing to do with contracting/etc. but we've built decks and other home repairs by simply desiring to do so.

That's what I think all of us here have in common, more than our beer taste or how complex our brewing is, we all have the DESIRE to make something out of nothing. I guess deep down we all have a bit of "engineer" in us all.

I hope you get some free time to chip away at your builds soon, good luck.

Sure^^honored you would ask. I've never heard of that brand and what you sent me made me want to like them. The problem was I started thinking about how they got 1500 watts of power and 6 speakers into one package deal at that price for any quality. Then the fact you found a deal and a quick ebay search revealed them selling for 300 dollars; i jumped ship there. I noticed the ledge in the tv area. Are you hoping to wall mount, fit on that ledge, install a wall shelf? You could maybe bring your Vizio down and get something different upstairs. I would start with wherever I spent the most time.

Looky what I got for 400 this weekend. Bw cdm7se speakers. Retailed for 1800 in 1998. They arent as clear as my cm4s but man they have that special factor. These are close to the real deal (close but far).

Thanks for your help with this. I passed on that one, thanks to your recommendation.

I am planning on sitting the speakers on that shelf, unless they're too big; in that case, I'll wall mount them.

Have heard good things about elacs. Cnet compared them to b and w 685s.

http://m.thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-surround-sound-system/

Hmmmm, those look nice.

I still haven't gone to Best Buy to listen to the different speakers. I definitely need to do that.

I don't post often on the boards, but I use them constantly for inspiration, and your build is one of the best (per my personal taste), and my Dad thinks so too. Just like you, our jobs have nothing to do with contracting/etc. but we've built decks and other home repairs by simply desiring to do so.

That's what I think all of us here have in common, more than our beer taste or how complex our brewing is, we all have the DESIRE to make something out of nothing. I guess deep down we all have a bit of "engineer" in us all.

I hope you get some free time to chip away at your builds soon, good luck.

Building our own stuff really is a common theme around here. I guess it just lends itself to the hobby.

Looks great!

How much room is there between the front and back cabinets?

I have a small space I want to put a bar, but I'm trying to figure out if it's doable. You're using standard 24" W cabinets, right?

How wide is your area where the taps are going?

Looks great!

How much room is there between the front and back cabinets?

I have a small space I want to put a bar, but I'm trying to figure out if it's doable. You're using standard 24" W cabinets, right?

How wide is your area where the taps are going?

There is 33.5" of space from front counter to back counter. There is 36" of space between cabinets (since the counter sticks out a bit). I had read before starting my project that 36" (or more) between counters is ideal, and 24" seems to be regarded as the minimum space between the front and back counters. Mine is slightly less than the "ideal" specs, but honestly I'm more than happy with it. I think I could be quite happy with 28-30" as well, but wouldn't go much less than that, unless you're doing open cabinets without doors.

My cabinets vary in width. Do you mean standard 24" in depth cabinets? If so, yes, they are standard 24" deep cabinets.

My drip tray is 24" wide.

While I was typing this, I decided to just draw out a quick schematic of the bar:

bar%20dimensions.jpg

It sits on roughly a 10' x 8' footprint, excluding bar stools. This drawing was off the cuff, and is not to scale. Hope this helps.

Back