Basement Bar Build Thread!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max384

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I actually started this build last year when I tiled the back end of my finished basement.

Here is my before picture when we were in the process of buying the house last year. It was wall-to-wall carpet... Not exactly great floor material for a bar:

20150322_120826-X2.jpg

Anyhow, last year I tiled the back part of my basement in anticipation of putting in a new wood stove. I didn't get the wood stove and chimney in until a couple of months ago. Once I got that in, I decided to get started on my bar build.

The plan is to have a roughly 10' wet bar with fridge, wine chiller, and 8 tap through-the-wall kegerator next to my wood stove.

I got started last week. I had originally planned to build all the shelves and drawers by hand, but Lowes had a great deal on the pre-built cabinets, so I decided to use these as a base, and build around them.

I started with a basic frame for the bar

20161129_193026-X2.jpg

Here is the bar room that the bar will is being put in (excuse the mess... but it's an active construction zone!):

20161129_193035-X2.jpg

I then bolted the cabinets down to the floor and bar frame.

20161129_210441-X2.jpg

Then I put the counters on.

Today I did the wiring. I added the receptacles for the fridge, wine chiller, bar top, and sink pump, and I added the bar top lights

20161204_105512-X2.jpg

20161204_122016-X2.jpg

20161204_194857-X2.jpg

Up next is the plumbing. Plan is to get this done by Christmas. We'll see. Updates to come.

Due to a busy work schedule I didn't get as much done as I'd like, but I got some staining and trim work done.

20161207_011859.jpg

I'm hoping to get the bar top on tonight.

I accidentally ordered 10' and 3' sections of Chicago bar rail for the bar top, when I should have ordered 10' and 4' sections. I already stained them when I realized my mistake, so I couldn't return them. I realized my mistake and called hardwoodsinc to order the 4' piece yesterday late morning. The guy I talked to said he'd make sure the order got in the truck that day, and I just got shipment confirmation. Less than 24 hours arrived at my door for regular (reasonable) shipping cost. So I guess I'll do a shout out to hardwoodsinc for great service!

Well, my job got in the way of working on the bar again, so no progress today... But my back splash did come in today. I can't wait to get this installed!
20161207_195419-X2.jpg

Very cool! Good looking work! What are you going to use for the bar top?

Cant wait to see this finished!

Cheers
Jay

I'm going to use hardwood plywood, sanded, stained, and polyurethaned. With Chicago bar rail along the outside and 90 degree outside corner moulding on the inside.

I got the bar top on today, the back wall, and polyurethaned the front of the bar .

20161209_010005.jpg

20161209_005959.jpg

UPS screwed me. The Chicago bar rail piece that was supposedly delivered yesterday was delivered to the wrong address. I'm working with the vendor to get it straightened out. Until then, I'll have to wait to get the bar top rail installed...

My dual zone wine chiller also came in today

20161209_011508.jpg

I worked most of the weekend, so I didn't get a chance to do too much, but I did get the bar foot rail installed and some more staining and trim work done.

20161210_044421.jpg

20161210_044435.jpg

20161210_044428.jpg

20161210_044416.jpg

The Chicago bar rail was delivered to an Amazon distribution center near me on accident by UPS. So the vendor, Hardwoodsinc.com, sent out another one that should be delivered tomorrow. UPS was awful to deal with, but the vendor was great. They were great with keeping me updated, and were prompt to resend the order, even though it was clearly UPS's fault. I would definitely highly recommend them to anyone building a bar.

Thanks for following along everyone!

i feel like i want to put can lights in above the bar and get rid of those drop down lights...

I was going to build a wooden drop ceiling above the bar, with recessed lighting in that, but to keep costs down I decided on pendant lighting instead. I much prefer that to can lighting in the ceiling. However, now that I have the lights in, I think I actually prefer that over my original idea.

I like the pendants...but that's my 2cents. Keep up the good work

Thanks

So, so, nice. Beautiful work. Its amazing how you transformed that space. Dont forget these :). Joking aside, Imo hope you get something decent sounding too. And if you do get those you are going on my ignore list.

Ohh MAN! I personally have 2 of the Nautilus speakers in my house....

Baaaaahhhhhahhaaaaahhhhhaaaaa.. NOT! What are they $60K ea...LOL

Haha you got me good. Those book shelves right there I think have 4 or 5 models going back to the 90s. The current model shown above are 5 or 6k. The tower versions I think are closer to what you said. I am on the lookout for two models back or so and hope to score them for 500 or so. Heres to dreaming!

Looks awesome man!

I redid my basement a while ago but really couldn't make a bar build work. It's L shaped space and too broken up by doors and fireplace etc. Very jealous. :)

Hey, explain how your through wall keezer is going to work.

Sorry about the lack of updates, but work has been keeping me very busy.

I got the inside cabinets stained, some trim work done, the sliding trash/recycling bins put in, and the frame for the tap system put together.

20161212_233847.jpg

20161212_233910.jpg

20161212_233653.jpg

20161212_233858.jpg

I also got my bar stools in today. They're nice, but they don't spin, which was something I hadn't thought about too much when buying... But now I wish they did... I forgot to take pictures; I'll post them later tonight.

And the Chicago bar rails... So I had mentioned earlier that they were misdelivered to an Amazon warehouse last week by UPS. I called UPS to get it straightened out, and I was told to basically go eat ****. They said there was nothing they could do, and to contact the vendor. Well, the vendor tried getting things straightened out, but couldn't, so they resent the package, to be delivered on Saturday. The package was late, and didn't get delivered until Monday... But it was misdelivered to Amazon again! I spent two hours on the phone with various employees, including supervisors and managers at UPS to get it straightened out. They finally agreed to have the local driver go to the Amazon warehouse to pick it up and deliver it to me. Why in the hell didn't they do that the first time last week? I even suggested they should do that, but they said they couldn't! Anyhow, it was finally delivered last night. I stained it last night, and plan to install it tonight.

So, so, nice. Beautiful work. Its amazing how you transformed that space. Dont forget these :). Joking aside, Imo hope you get something decent sounding too. And if you do get those you are going on my ignore list.

There is a tv next to the bar that I'm going to get surround sound for. Nothing too fancy, just something that sounds better than stock speakers. This will also double as the bar sound system. I'm not am audiophile by any stretch of the imagination, so buying top end expensive speakers would be a waste for me... And I've got no extra money after the holidays and bar build!

Looks awesome man!

I redid my basement a while ago but really couldn't make a bar build work. It's L shaped space and too broken up by doors and fireplace etc. Very jealous. :)

Hey, explain how your through wall keezer is going to work.

Once I get to that part of the project, I'll be sure to post those pictures as well.

But basically, behind that wall is the unfinished portion of my basement, and I have a 20 c.f. chest freezer. I'll be adding a 6" collar to it. I'll then build an insulated box behind the taps, connect that to the freezer with 4" PVC pipes, and cool that area with a small computer fan. If the fan doesn't keep it cool enough, I'll run keep a tub of water in the freezer and pump it through with an aquarium pump. Basically a cheap easy glycol cooler, but with water instead of glycol, since the water will be kept above freezing, so no point in the glycol.

A beautiful bar like that deserves something like Pliny or a RIS on top not Yuengling lager. :)

That's an awesome basement area / man cave. Thanks for posting the updates.

Hahaha. When I'm working, I exclusively drink Miller lite or Yuengling (or water!)... As I don't want to get drunk enough that I start making mistakes.

Thanks! Do you have a build thread for yours? If so, post it!

not yet.
I do have a build thread for my kegerator, which inspired said bar.
My wife has told me I've got 10 days to finish it...... better get cracking.
My brewsetup is complete and the storage is done, (just needs staining and varnishing)
the bar is up, but not trimmed to perfection as yet. and i'm waiting for a picture from overseas to come through so i can mount it in the bartop.

once its done,. i'll post up a thread.

Last edited:
I was on baby duty yesterday, so I didn't have a ton of time, but I managed to get a little done during naps. I got the bar rails installed and the dart board backboard built and installed.

20161214_215902.jpg

20161214_234410.jpg

20161214_210736-2160x3840.jpg

What I still have to do:
Build back shelving and install bar back mirror
Polyurethane everything
Some additional trim work
Plumbing

I'm hoping to still have it done by Christmas for a Christmas Eve party at our house.

Oh man nice dart board spot! I love playing darts. Its coming along beautifully. Well done. Did you work from a plan or did you design the whole thing? I know you'd like to save money and you don't figure yourself an audio file but consider reconsidering about the stereo. PM me if I can give you any help. If you would like some advice here let me know. For example instead of surround sound spend that entire Budget on just two good speakers. You will not regret it. The main problem is when you get a bunch of people in the room for a party. Cheap speakers sound blaring and it will always seem like they are too loud when they're not. I know, I know, I hate to beat a dead horse just giving one last shot out to really finish off that space right. I just got a pair of 1998 Bowers & Wilkins CDM 1 speakers for my bedroom on Craigslist. They were only 350. They're amazing it's like the artist is in the room with you. And they're beautiful. (See Pic).As a final thought a little research could get you some gems. For example, the elac b6 speakers are HIGHLY rated by everyone and cnets steve guttenberg felt they compared very well to bw 685s. They are only 270 a pair so maybe that might be what you need. They also make a center. Anyways best wishes, happy holidays and cant wait to see the final results. This is the last time I will offer anything sonic and apologies in advance if I bother you or anyone. I really am trying to be helpful.

View attachment 1481815217558.jpg

I may have to hire you to come do mine!

Very nice work! I think your sink is too small and would drive me crazy. I only say that because its the same size I have and....... IT DRIVES ME CRAZY! LOL

Cheers
Jay

Oh man nice dart board spot! I love playing darts. Its coming along beautifully. Well done. Did you work from a plan or did you design the whole thing? I know you'd like to save money and you don't figure yourself an audio file but consider reconsidering about the stereo. PM me if I can give you any help. If you would like some advice here let me know. For example instead of surround sound spend that entire Budget on just two good speakers. You will not regret it. The main problem is when you get a bunch of people in the room for a party. Cheap speakers sound blaring and it will always seem like they are too loud when they're not. I know, I know, I hate to beat a dead horse just giving one last shot out to really finish off that space right. I just got a pair of 1998 Bowers & Wilkins CDM 1 speakers for my bedroom on Craigslist. They were only 350. They're amazing it's like the artist is in the room with you. And they're beautiful. (See Pic).As a final thought a little research could get you some gems. For example, the elac b6 speakers are HIGHLY rated by everyone and cnets steve guttenberg felt they compared very well to bw 685s. They are only 270 a pair so maybe that might be what you need. They also make a center. Anyways best wishes, happy holidays and cant wait to see the final results. This is the last time I will offer anything sonic and apologies in advance if I bother you or anyone. I really am trying to be helpful.

Thanks! My wife and I played our inaugural game of darts last night. I handily beat her at four games of cricket in a row! Lol

I haven't used any plans. I've just been making it up as I've gone along.

Please feel free to post advice here on an audio system. I'm not saying I'll definitely be buying high end speakers, but I'll at least consider any suggestions!

I may have to hire you to come do mine!

Very nice work! I think your sink is too small and would drive me crazy. I only say that because its the same size I have and....... IT DRIVES ME CRAZY! LOL

Cheers
Jay

I was just thinking about that last night. With the size of the rest of the bar, it does seem rather small... But I'm stuck with it now. I'd have to change too many things to fit a bigger sink in.

But, when I was originally contemplating a bar build, it was going to be a dry bar. The only reason I went wet was so I could have a drain for the drip tray! Now I'm immensely happy I went with a wet bar.

great job, looks fantastic! I also went with pendants, and love them. You can always build an overhead later if you choose, looks like you obviously know what you're doing with regards to carpentry and electric. One thing you might want at some point is an icemaker, as long as you already have water lines there. I solved this by using an over/under drawer fridge/freezer with the icemaker in the bottom freezer compartment.

Thanks! My wife and I played our inaugural game of darts last night. I handily beat her at four games of cricket in a row! Lol

Please feel free to post advice here on an audio system. I'm not saying I'll definitely be buying high end speakers, but I'll at least consider any suggestions!

I have not personally heard the speakers he is talking about myself but MAN do they look nice! I think for the money Paradigm is hands down a total bargain and worth every penny! My entire sound system is Paradigm and it truly is the best sounding home theater system I have ever heard. It is crisp, full, very deep, room consuming and can be incredibly loud as well!

Good luck!

Cheers
Jay

Cool man thanks, I fear I come off wrong through the medium of writing. Man do I miss a good game of cricket. And some Homebrew that is an awesome spot. You are talented. Before too long I will, I'll post some ideas for you. My wife would seriously listen to the TV through its speakers. She was so mad and wanted to hate the speakers, but she loves them as do the kids. Cool thing is that they perform night in and night out on a task or tasks that we use in our household daily. It's not like you're getting something you'll never use.

I prefer my music at concert volume levels. For my home theater system I have Klipsch RF-7 series with a SVS subwoofer, and for my basement 2 channel system I have some vintage Klipsch Forte's driven with a tube amp. Klipsch speakers utilize horn drivers for the high end which don't need a lot of power to fill the room with sound. I purchased both sets used, compared to the new prices they were a fraction of the cost.

I got a bit more work done. I got a coat of polyurethane on the bar top and cabinets. I also started putting together the shelves in the back of the bar and mounted the mirror. I also stained some trim pieces. I'm at drills this weekend, so I won't get a chance to get much more done over the weekend... I'm really hoping to have it done by Christmas Eve party, but it'll be close!

20161217_000226-X2.jpg

20161217_000111-XL.jpg

20161217_000237-X2.jpg

20161217_000230-X2.jpg

Latest posts

Back