Basement Bar Build Thread!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great looking room. The only problem I see is the temp indicator on the exhaust pipe is too close to the stove.
emoji6.png
Good eye! It's a magnetic one that always hangs crooked higher up the pipe, so I just moved it lower because it drove me nuts. I'm going to replace the single walled pipe this summer and when I do, I'm going to put in a probe thermometer at the proper height and a damper.

OP: Can I ask what type of polyurethane you used on the bar? Was it water or oil based and did you thin it at all? I’m at the finishing stage of my own bar and am trying to figure out what the best option would be.

Thanks!

Amazing build and once you redid the floor, added the brick and the ceiling it suddenly screamed to me: English Bar.

My two cents: only thing you need to add is some sort of cabinet above the bar where the lights are, and then add hanging stemware glass. Google "English Home Bar" and you'll see tons of ideas. Here's an example.

home-lighting-installation-chicago.JPG

Inside is just an open shelf. If you look around they have some with stained glass and internal lighting to show it off. You don't have to do the posts either. Either way, once you did the ceiling and brick...damn. Looks great!

OP: Can I ask what type of polyurethane you used on the bar? Was it water or oil based and did you thin it at all? I’m at the finishing stage of my own bar and am trying to figure out what the best option would be.

Thanks!

Sorry for the late reply. I'm deployed with the military and haven't logged in for quite awhile. I used semi-gloss polyurethane on all vertical surfaces and full gloss polyurethane for all horizontal surfaces. I didn't thin it. However, I did fight with air bubbles. In the future, I will experiment with thinning to prevent this headache.

Amazing build and once you redid the floor, added the brick and the ceiling it suddenly screamed to me: English Bar.

My two cents: only thing you need to add is some sort of cabinet above the bar where the lights are, and then add hanging stemware glass. Google "English Home Bar" and you'll see tons of ideas. Here's an example.

home-lighting-installation-chicago.JPG

Inside is just an open shelf. If you look around they have some with stained glass and internal lighting to show it off. You don't have to do the posts either. Either way, once you did the ceiling and brick...damn. Looks great!

Thanks for the kind words.

That was 100% our plan originally. However, after putting up the ceiling, we loved it so much that we decided not to do the above bar cabinets. We didn't want to break up the ceiling. Thanks for the recommendation though. In the future I may change my mind and do this. We'll see.

My finished basement bar (well almost finished. Just a couple little trim pieces and one long board i have to rip). Still also need to tidy up the shelves, maybe paint them and put some antiskid mats on them so the glasses dont go anywhere.

I have my 4 tap Keezer, and stainless brew table and 3v system behind the bar. 2 Haier Wine fridges running in Inkbirds that i use for fermentation chambers, and then storage for grains, equipment, and glasses for the bar. Nice way to use up the corner of the basement and keep the brew area neat and tucked away.

6xWoNzM.jpg
uwfzG54.jpg
Yr2gGIi.jpg
QjJ937m.jpg
dXKUBWb.jpg
TLdgckq.jpg

Back