Anyone have a Roomba?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought one of these. I've had it for a few weeks now, and I absolutely love it. I had one about 10 years ago, but the product wasn't quite 'there' yet, so I sold it.

I have a gigantic, hairy dog in my house (English Mastiff). He's a perpetual shedder. I've never seen a dog shed as much as this dog. We have to vacuum 4-5 times a week just to keep up with the dog hair. I swear we've had giant dog hair tumbleweeds blowing through the kitchen on several occasions. Dog hair tumbleweeds kind of ruin parties. :D

My kids used to do the vacuuming, but they're both in college now. My wife looked at me as the next person in line to take over the vacuuming duties, so I did what any semi-successful businessman would do - I whipped out my credit card and bought a Roomba.

I am completely mesmerized by it. I pop a beer and watch it zoom around the house. It can sense walls and large pieces of furniture. It will maneuver around them. I swear it's smarter than the dog! It has it's own docking/charging station. It can be programmed to vacuum on a regular basis. When it's done, it returns to it's docking station automatically. I have to do nothing except empty the little dust bin! I feel like George Jetson!

My dog is not too happy with it. He's more scared than intimidated. The cat, however, stalks it like it's some sort of prey.

My wife was a little apprehensive. She saw right through my ploy to avoid housework, but the lack of dog hair in the house has turned her. She's even named it.

How long have you had it and how well does it handle the dog hair,Present dog is shortered haired but doesn't seem to shed any less;)

I had one 7 or 8 years ago. Many DIY repairs cured me of the fascination. Plus, I needed to clean the thing thoroughly every day. And keep it charged (it was supposed to find it's way back to the charging station, but didn't).

It was mostly one of those gadgets that promises to be a help and ends up being a chore.

It handles the dog hair very well.

I've only had it a few weeks.

I did have an older model about 10 years back. I agree, it wasn't a perfect machine. This one is a lot more advanced than the old model. I can see where they've improved on a the design a lot. Only time will tell, I guess.

V4KgrZc.jpg

What does the vacuum do if it comes across a dog poop on the carpet?

Yeah, they have come a long way. If you have tile floors, the Roomba will probably do a better job than you at cleaning them. We had tile in my last place and because of the way those bristles spin, it really gets in between the cracks as it goes. The sensors are pretty impressive too. Not only does it bump off the walls, it knows if it gets hold of something it's not supposed to. I had it running while we were moving into the new place. It stopped and when I went to find out why, the coo-coo clock was sitting on the table with the chain dangling down and Rosie had gotten hold of it! Luckily she was smart enough to not try to swallow. It could have been an absolute disaster if she pulled it down and SWMBO would have had my @$$!

Thanks Roomba. You rock. :rockin:

I feel like if you have a Roomba and don't do something like this on a regular basis, it might not have been a worthwhile purchase
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9P20HuX7mo[/ame]

Those things do look pretty neat though.

I don't have carpet downstairs but I have area rugs. How does that handle those? They're shaggy basically.

I've often thought about getting one but if I doesn't also do under furniture then I feel like I will still be cleaning floors. They come up on Woot.com a lot as refurbished models and I nearly always bite.

I have a Scooba, which is the mopping version of it. That thing gets FILTHY! It works well though. If you havent mopped in months its not going to get your floor clean, but if you start with an already maintained floor, it will keep it up indefinitely.

The bigger issue is keeping up with it, if you fall behind you have to manually mop again.

So it's kind of a digital oompa loompa? Roomba roomba roombaty do, if you're drunk this could happen to you. Roomba roomba roombadity dee, if you are wise, you'll listen to me...
All joking aside, it always reminds me of the Jetsons. Maybe I need to get the wife a new toy?

We recently put wood/laminate floor throughout the house.

Son's allergies have never been better. Floors have never felt dirtier.

I want one of these but don't want to waste money on a gimmick.

We bought one about 6 years ago. I though it was a decent machine - it had its hiccups but overall was worth it for us (2 hairy dogs and 3 cats). We have all wood floors and it does a great job there. You do have clean the roller pretty much after every time it does a full run because of the dog hair.

Last year the battery would no longer charge. We have not gotten another one, but we might in the near future.

I wish I would've had the extra money for wood floors when we built the house. Extras had to be paid for up front. I hate carpets for dirt, dust, allergens, pet dander, etc. Wood is easier to keep cleaner.

I wish I would've had the extra money for wood floors when we built the house. Extras had to be paid for up front. I hate carpets for dirt, dust, allergens, pet dander, etc. Wood is easier to keep cleaner.

Yes, I agree. It is easier to keep cleaner. But, IMO, feels dirtier faster. I don;t have pets but we do have two young boys and we vacuum the floors almost daily. Easier to vacuum than it is to use a broom.

Have thought about getting one of those shark broom vac type things too. But the battery life on those things is crap.

We've been seeing the one that steams the wood floors clean that looks like one of those. I keep thinking steam would screw up the wood's finish?

Yes, I agree. It is easier to keep cleaner. But, IMO, feels dirtier faster. I don;t have pets but we do have two young boys and we vacuum the floors almost daily. Easier to vacuum than it is to use a broom.

Have thought about getting one of those shark broom vac type things too. But the battery life on those things is crap.

We have wood floors (maple) throughout, 3 kids, dog, cat. We still prefer the wood over carpet.

Hoover makes a pretty nice cordless sweeper that uses a Lithium Ion removable batter that is far better than the sharks. My wife has used ALL of them and this one is by far her favorite.

We also have the handheld Lynx, which uses the exact same battery. Also tops in its class. If you buy this also, you'll have two batteries in case one dies while using it.

Hoover Linx Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner, BH50010
Hoover Platinum Collection LiNX Cordless Pet Handheld Vacuum, BH50030

Last edited by a moderator:
We got one 5 years ago as a wedding gift.

It worked ok I guess. When we first got it we didn't have a dog and had carpet. We also had lower couches than we do now.

Our house now has pergo flooring, a dog, and kind of high couches. Between the dustbin being constantly full and constantly having to rescue the thing from from under the couch, we eventually just gave up and put it in a box.

I have an 880. I have wood floors with area rugs. It doesn't seem to have any issues with either. It does go under the furniture to clean, which is nice. The dustbin could be bigger.

Hopefully it's durable. That's the only concern I have so far.

The model I used to have had cleaning brushes. They were a pain to keep clean, and they tended to scratch wood floors.

This model has rubber rollers that spin in opposite directions to pick up dirt. They don't seem to need regular cleaning, and I'm comfortable they won't scratch anything.

It has run over cords and my dog's blanket, but it had no problems getting itself out of trouble. The only thing it got stuck on was a hoodie that my son had under his bed. It had a cord on it. The Roomba sucked that up. It shut itself down and started talking -explaining that there was an error and the unit needed to be looked at. I wasn't expecting that.

The only thing it got stuck on was a hoodie that my son had under his bed. It had a chord on it. The Roomba sucked that up. It shut itself down and started talking -explaining that there was an error and the unit needed to be looked at. I wasn't expecting that.

I can't even begin to fathom the nightmare that would ensue as result of the "voice under the bed" if my son were to be the first encounter.

The LOVE of my life! "Zimba" is a terrific pet and part of the family. I swear he always finds me anywhere in the house to say hi and then he's off doing his job so well getting the cat hair. We bought one for the grandma and she loves it too.

Eh, it's good for hard floors, but that's it. Sucked on carpet. Just not strong enough for my shedding masters. I would trap my roomba in the kitchen or bathroom and let it go to town. Worked best when it couldn't leave a room.

I like it alright...but NOT worth the $300 it was selling for a few years ago.

I replaced all my carpeting with wood, laminate, or tile over the past 10 years. I did the work myself, so it was fairly cheap. I won't go back to carpet. My only problem is with the dog. He's scratched up the floors in a few places. Originally it bothered me a lot. Now I just call it 'character'.

I don't have carpet downstairs but I have area rugs. How does that handle those? They're shaggy basically.

Comment withheld due to my mind being in the gutter, and it being in bad taste.

And a question. How do they do on transitioning between wood/tile and rugs and not just carpeting where the transition is mostly seamless. I have a lot of tile in my basement and the floors are always gritty and being primarily barefoot when I am at home I accumulate dust/whatnot socks rather rapidly. Not to mention I am lazy and dont like sweeping/vacuuming. This may be just what I need if they can jump onto rugs well.

Now if they could only teach the things to empty themselves. Maybe have the charger have a little vacuum of its own to empty the tray.

We have had an older model for years. I have lost count of the repairs and replacement parts I have bought for it. They are decent, but the batteries fail eventually and quit holding a charge. The side sweeper motor had to be replaced a couple of times too.

It does daily duty in our basement, where it keeps things mostly tidy. If my daughter leaves iPhone change cables and such on the floor the Roomba will 'eat' them.

And a question. How do they do on transitioning between wood/tile and rugs and not just carpeting where the transition is mostly seamless. I have a lot of tile in my basement and the floors are always gritty and being primarily barefoot when I am at home I accumulate dust/whatnot socks rather rapidly. Not to mention I am lazy and dont like sweeping/vacuuming. This may be just what I need if they can jump onto rugs well.

Now if they could only teach the things to empty themselves. Maybe have the charger have a little vacuum of its own to empty the tray.

I have some transitions on the 2nd floor of my house. It has no problem with them. They are probably 3/4".

In my kitchen I have a transition that's a little higher due to multiple layers of flooring. It has a hard time with that. It will make the transition about 50% of the time. It's probably 1-1/2" or so.

The only thing that makes me nervous is stairs. This thing seems to be able to locate and reverse direction when it comes to a ledge, or stair, but I don't fully trust it. I use an invisible wall to keep it away from the stairs for now.

We have had an older model for years. I have lost count of the repairs and replacement parts I have bought for it. They are decent, but the batteries fail eventually and quit holding a charge. The side sweeper motor had to be replaced a couple of times too.

It does daily duty in our basement, where it keeps things mostly tidy. If my daughter leaves iPhone change cables and such on the floor the Roomba will 'eat' them.

Yea - I'm assuming the battery will go after a few years. It's the same with cell phones and laptops. The weak point is always the battery. New batteries aren't cheap, but they aren't super expensive either.

We've been seeing the one that steams the wood floors clean that looks like one of those. I keep thinking steam would screw up the wood's finish?

Depends somewhat on the type of finish. If it's polyurethane, no prob. If it's a higher grade catalyzed lacquer, not as good for floors as poly, but not as much a concern as regular old varnish or shellac. Most pre-finished flooring is a lacquer of some kind. No matter what the finish, where the wood is bare (like edges, micro-bevels, seams), or worn spots, the hot steam can swell the fibers of the raw wood and/or creep under the finish and cause the finish to peel. Steam is [very hot] water and usually, you don't clean wood floors with water, except for an occasional damp cloth. I could be mistaken, but I don't know of any pre-finished flooring companies that will warranty their product under use of steam-cleaning. To see those commercials where they are steam-cleaning wood floors is misleading.

Yeah Pete, that was my first impression when I first saw the commercial. You don't steam wood unless you want to bend it to another shape in my experience.

I do not have one. I prefer my electronic DJ to stay in one place.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXhsUPtsiLU[/ame]

Latest posts

Back