Anyone have a Roomba?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best reason to own a Roomba

shark-attack.gif

I just bought one of these. I've had it for a few weeks now, and I absolutely love it. I had one about 10 years ago, but the product wasn't quite 'there' yet, so I sold it.

I have a gigantic, hairy dog in my house (English Mastiff). He's a perpetual shedder. I've never seen a dog shed as much as this dog. We have to vacuum 4-5 times a week just to keep up with the dog hair. I swear we've had giant dog hair tumbleweeds blowing through the kitchen on several occasions. Dog hair tumbleweeds kind of ruin parties. :D

My kids used to do the vacuuming, but they're both in college now. My wife looked at me as the next person in line to take over the vacuuming duties, so I did what any semi-successful businessman would do - I whipped out my credit card and bought a Roomba.

I am completely mesmerized by it. I pop a beer and watch it zoom around the house. It can sense walls and large pieces of furniture. It will maneuver around them. I swear it's smarter than the dog! It has it's own docking/charging station. It can be programmed to vacuum on a regular basis. When it's done, it returns to it's docking station automatically. I have to do nothing except empty the little dust bin! I feel like George Jetson!

My dog is not too happy with it. He's more scared than intimidated. The cat, however, stalks it like it's some sort of prey.

My wife was a little apprehensive. She saw right through my ploy to avoid housework, but the lack of dog hair in the house has turned her. She's even named it.

Can it go into multiple rooms on its own?

try Neato its much better.

Do tell.

I don't have carpet downstairs but I have area rugs. How does that handle those? They're shaggy basically.

I've often thought about getting one but if I doesn't also do under furniture then I feel like I will still be cleaning floors. They come up on Woot.com a lot as refurbished models and I nearly always bite.

/juvenile locker-room giggle snorts.

What if I leave the recliners up? Will it clean under the length of the L sofa then?

We have wood floors (maple) throughout, 3 kids, dog, cat. We still prefer the wood over carpet.

Hoover makes a pretty nice cordless sweeper that uses a Lithium Ion removable batter that is far better than the sharks. My wife has used ALL of them and this one is by far her favorite.

We also have the handheld Lynx, which uses the exact same battery. Also tops in its class. If you buy this also, you'll have two batteries in case one dies while using it.

Hoover Linx Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner, BH50010
Hoover Platinum Collection LiNX Cordless Pet Handheld Vacuum, BH50030

Hoover makes a corded floor cleaner called the Floor Mate. We bought one at a store. Damn fine floor cleaning machine. Simple. Durable. Does a great job.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love mine. It's a 500 series and it still kicks ass! Every part is replaceable (well engineered). If u have pets u will really appreciate it.

Ok so I have had several Roombas and own a scooba as well. I am a big fan of Roomba products and have used them for years. We have two labs so lots of hair. Last year I purchased a Neato and its not even close. The Neato is just much more powerful and doesnt run around in circles bumping into things like a roomba. the Neato actually laser maps the room and then operates like a traditional vacuum with suction. It works terrific on carpets (roomba not so good on carpets) as well and will clean an entire home room by room without steps in the way. It will just find its way back recharge and continue on. Neato has it beat hands down IMO. Neato is programed to clean the house while we are at work and we come home to a newly vacuumed home very night. Its awesome. Roomba does a good job just not great. Neato = great.

Ok so I have had several Roombas and own a scooba as well. I am a big fan of Roomba products and have used them for years. We have two labs so lots of hair. Last year I purchased a Neato and its not even close. The Neato is just much more powerful and doesnt run around in circles bumping into things like a roomba. the Neato actually laser maps the room and then operates like a traditional vacuum with suction. It works terrific on carpets (roomba not so good on carpets) as well and will clean an entire home room by room without steps in the way. It will just find its way back recharge and continue on. Neato has it beat hands down IMO. Neato is programed to clean the house while we are at work and we come home to a newly vacuumed home very night. Its awesome. Roomba does a good job just not great. Neato = great.

Where were you 3 weeks ago? :D

sorry about that just wanted to give an honest assessment of both. The roomba is still great we use it upstairs in our house well the Neato takes care of downstairs

Back