Air Lock or No Airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Microphobik

Reaction score
I'm about to start my first Kombucha brew and am wondering if I should use an airlock or not. I have read articles that seem to suggest that it needs an aerobic fermentation, but then I've read other articles that suggests that for a quality kombucha I should use an airlock. What is the best advice?

I live in a rural part of New Zealand where it is wet and keeping mold away takes constant care. While I've never had an issues brewing beer, I am a nazi with cleanliness. I'm concerned about using just a cheesecloth but don't want to ruin things by using an airlock.

What is the best way to get a ice clean Kombucha while keeping my Scoby healthy?

Thanks.

Never use an airlock. Make sure the Kombucha can breathe at all times. Keep your brew in a situation with moderate humidity and stable temperatures ranging from 74 to 83 degrees never getting past four degrees of difference between your initial temperature. If you are brewing a is in a room already infected with mold do not put it there. Make sure you use an acid base sanitizer on all of your prep materials including your containers. Never ever put your kombucha in an anaerobic situation. That type of storing and brewing will undoubtedly cause toxic poisoning with botulism and death. If you have questions about mold check with a variety of sites including Brooklyn kombucha. They are an amazing resource and welcome questions. Let me know if you have any questions further that I might be able to answer if not I will do my best to direct you to a resource that can answer that, someone with more knowledge. If you have access to a local university or education facility contact it. in the US many of the community colleges and public universities have extension programs where you can get further training such as a master gardeners, master fermenter, master baker, and master food preservation individuals. This is a cert you can achieve that requires those who get this certification to contribute to public education and knowledge through volunteer work. Good luck and let me know if I can help.

Use a coffee filter and then place in a bucket with a moisture absorber and a loose fitting lid that is not sealed shut. That will keep the humidity low and mold out and provide a warm dark place which is ideal. Then place the bucket in a controlled environment with heat. I live in Oregon and it is infamous for mold. I am highly allergic. & I use these moisture absorbers to save my life. In the summer I cover a large plastic tote or box in a black trash bag and put it on my balcony. this uses solar energy to keep my box and kombucha at a warm and stable temperature. it goes very quickly with the humidity and heat. Also to note I use a remote electronic thermometer. It works great to know where my brew is at temperature wise + humidity. I highly recommend one they run about six to twelve dollars

I mean make sure it is in a situation with air. sorry for the misleading information. Definitions got mixed up in my brain. Make sure it has air it has to breathe. Think of it as a little pet or plant. If you cover a plant's leaves with Vaseline it will die. Same thing with your kombucha it might also kill you.

Never ever put your kombucha in an anaerobic situation. That type of storing and brewing will undoubtedly cause toxic poisoning with botulism and death.

Thanks for the information everyone. Good to know that I should not be using an airlock.

But the statement about botulism... wouldn't the acidic environment (especially with the starter) prevent that? Many many people use an anaerobic environment for fermenting food but the low ph levels caused by brine and acid production prevent botulism. Wouldn't the same be true with Kombucha? I only ask because I didn't think botulism was a risk with kombucha and hearing that a mistake could lead to that makes me a bit nervous.

It's only a risk where mold grows. I thought it was scary too. I do a pH test every time.

Just like canning garlic, even with high acid it takes a longer time to kill the botulism and penetrate the garlic vs other types of veggies to pickle

Back