A tool a day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's face it, you WILL need that extra paint!

I wasn't planning on painting, but I bought it because it was dirt cheap by Finnish standards. 51 EUR (60 USD) for all that paint. Those buckets are going to be hydroponic containers when they're empty!

Tool shopping again today.

One of the many - a Bosch laser distance measurer

752593_ZB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg

And again:

Awesome 18 volt li-ion led lamp:

$(KGrHqZ,!l!FD)Wid0WwBQ+7fb8jlw~~_32-500x500-0-0.JPG

A 45cm long, 18mm diameter cement hammer drill bit:

And a new 1/4" drive ratchet to replace my 25 year old one that doesn't work so well anymore:

Tools are always a good investment. I don't buy a new tool everyday, or even every month. But one thing I have learned over the years is this. If you buy a tool, don't try to save a cent or dollar here and there, buy a good one and take care of it. Cheap tools are like cheap women. They might get the job done in the moment, but in the long-run they will let you down and disappoint you when you need them most.

So it's best to avoid cheap tools, like cheap women, and when you do buy a good one you should take care of it. Because in the long run a better quality tool may not have as much eye appeal or flash, but it will last you a lifetime and be 100% dependable. In the end, that is what matters most.

I love this hammer!

20-185_xl_1.jpg

And SWMBO's favorite tool. You can cut anything with these.

A new Narrow London trowel. I really don't like the Philadelphia Wide trowels, which is the only type available here in Finland. Had to order this one from the UK.

ro116-9.jpg

New 2.5 ton racing jack, the only one with low enough profile to fit under my Mercedes. Made out of aluminum and only weighs 35kg (77 lbs). Came with a 1 meter long handle.

807512.jpg

A pair of Bahco 3 ton jack stands. They've got ratchets for speed and also a normal pin lock just to be sure.

808849.jpg

Bosch GBH 2-20 D SDS-plus rotary hammer drill. Also can be set to chisel-only and you can rotate the chisel then lock it where you want it.

This bad boy can push a 20mm bit through an 15cm thick stone wall - ask me how I know. At only 2kg weight, you can do serial drilling in concrete ceilings all day long (example electric cabling in the basement). I have drilled over 1000 6mm holes into concrete with this thing now while doing remodeling of my house.

gbh-2-20-d-24637.jpg

Guy walks into a hardware store and the salesman approaches:

Guy: I need a new file

Clerk: You looking for a flat bastard?

Guy: No, I need me one of those round mother ****ers.

I don't get it:(

Not sure if "The Two Ronnies" ever made it to Finnish TV screens but this is an old classic of theirs. This seems like the right thread for it.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaGpaj2nHIo[/ame]

I've been buying tools long enough that I can buy what I want not necessarily what I need, I bought one and fell in love with it so I had to get the other, Not cheap but I have an addiction.

Bastard is a very common type of file. So, it's just a play on words with somebody who doesn't know what it means.

Thanks @podz. Displaying my tool ignorance in all its glory there. I was mentally crunching the iterations of "new file".

Nufile, neuphile etc with no luck obviously. Thanks for the education.

I still have the Craftsman tool set my dad bought me for my 1st year of auto tech in the summer of 1973. Some of his old ones too. Bought more since then. I recently had to replace a lost ratchet, & two that finally fell apart. got one from Oreilly's that's 3/8" on one side of the head, & 1/4" on the other side. Handy. Now if I could just find another charger for the 8V battery packs for my drill. I have one or two sets of those boxed driver bits with screw driver bits, different drills, etc as well. Even a compressor with 2 spray guns & some air tools. I agree that whiping them down before stowing helps keep them like new for decades.

A new Bosch SDS-Plus adapter chuck for my drill

Adapter_Ck_2609255708_346103_jpg1.jpg

And a new, 20mm auger bit.

11224867_10154019621422697_2360088878274415472_n-66608.jpg

Ah, tool addiction, I tend to get around most of the expensive part of this by inheriting "much-loved" tools from old geezers that no longer need them.

Lidl also is a great way to get very decent tools at low prices, their tools also have the great benefit of fitting standard spare parts, no longer looking for parts that no longer get sold as the "new model" is different..(looking at you, gardena).

my latest toy:
kuva_1.jpg

Ah, tool addiction, I tend to get around most of the expensive part of this by inheriting "much-loved" tools from old geezers that no longer need them.

Lidl also is a great way to get very decent tools at low prices, their tools also have the great benefit of fitting standard spare parts, no longer looking for parts that no longer get sold as the "new model" is different..(looking at you, gardena).

my latest toy:
kuva_1.jpg

I buy all of my circular and jigsaw blades from Lidl. The circular saw blades are actually manufactured in Germany and the jigsaw blades in Switzerland (where most of the world's jigsaw blades are manufactured). I actually even bought a really large collection of reciprocating sawblades from them, too.

Most of the power tools in Lidl are direct copies of the Bosch Green series (non-professional quality with plastic gearboxes). I do have some of the Lidl power tools for things that are rarely used, but they can't handle heavy jobs like a Bosch Blue series tool with an all metal gearbox can.

I have a Bosch Green series 18v reciprocating saw. I have put it to extremely heavy use for about a year now but the nose is really starting to wear out. Next one will be blue...

That's one serious router you got there. Now I want one, too. I'll tell SWMBO to blame it on you!

Can't you blame one of the americans here?
I'm only 4 hours driving away after all :D

I've got a green series bosch psb 500 series that's over 20 years old, it still works better than all but the highest quality battery machines.

Also have a basic 18 volt makita for quick use, but wouldn't risk that one for metalwork or heavy duty stone work.

A new Bosch SDS-Plus adapter chuck for my drill

Adapter_Ck_2609255708_346103_jpg1.jpg

And a new, 20mm auger bit.

11224867_10154019621422697_2360088878274415472_n-66608.jpg

Doing your bit to uphold the socks-with-sandals Scandanavian stereotype I see. :)
Whats that on your nose?

Nice drill BTW. I need to get something new so I can contribute to this thread properly.

Doing your bit to uphold the socks-with-sandals Scandanavian stereotype I see. :)
Whats that on your nose?

Nice drill BTW. I need to get something new so I can contribute to this thread properly.

In Finland, we don't wear shoes inside the house. It's a serious taboo. So, when I come in the door I take off my shoes and put on my sandals. Most people don't wear sandals indoors, except at work, but I have flat feet and need the arch support. Plus, I don't enjoy stepping on nails and other such things when I'm doing renovations.

I bought that auger bit to drill holes through walls because my long, flat spade bit required a hell of a lot of pushing effort to get through the multiple layers of wood (we don't have drywall in this house). Upwards of 10 minutes per hole. The auger bit pulls itself through, and does a hole in about 5 seconds.

As for the drill itself, I love it. It's perfect for all types of renovation work.

In Finland, we don't wear shoes inside the house.

Totally agree with you there. No shoes worn in my house either. Just poking some fun mate.

The old agage "never anger a Finn with an auger in their hands" leaps to mind.
(I may have just made that bit up:D)

Using that drill sounds like fun.

Totally agree with you there. No shoes worn in my house either. Just poking some fun mate.

The old agage "never anger a Finn with an auger in their hands" leaps to mind.
(I may have just made that bit up:D)

Using that drill sounds like fun.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1A17iiXcdE[/ame]

A new bench vise with a pipe holder

Plus a pair of magnetic jaw protectors:

Latest posts

Back