2015 NCAA Tournament Pool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FINALLY shipped the package today, ups says you'll have it by June 1st, 2 commercial beers that I really like from Michigan and two home brews, I'm currently drinking one of the same batch right now although I must recommend that u give them another couple weeks as so far only one was carbed fully, it's based on the "pirate strong ale" recipe.

It's a strong ale with a really complex flavor and it hit the ABV @ 11.2%...I call it "Jack's Strongarm Ale" View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1432930354.678411.jpg

Hey guys,
Waned to chime in and let you know that I'm still alive. I do plan on sending some beers, but I've had some things going on here lately that have majorly impacted my ability to hold up my end of the deal. Don't worry, I'm good for it. Looking at the thread it seems like you got a few to drink yet anyway...so I must not be too late - or you're not that thirsty :)

So after getting/drinking a few beers, have you been happier with homebrew, or commercial? Let me know and I'll send a few your way. What kinda styles do you like?

Just wanted to chime in here myself - I'm gonna try to get something sent out next week. The not soon enough to be ex-wife has been holding things up for me.

Hey guys,
Waned to chime in and let you know that I'm still alive. I do plan on sending some beers, but I've had some things going on here lately that have majorly impacted my ability to hold up my end of the deal. Don't worry, I'm good for it. Looking at the thread it seems like you got a few to drink yet anyway...so I must not be too late - or you're not that thirsty :)

So after getting/drinking a few beers, have you been happier with homebrew, or commercial? Let me know and I'll send a few your way. What kinda styles do you like?

I am open to all styles and if you want to send both commercial and homebrew, I am good to go with that.

It's based on the "pirate strong ale" recipe here on hbt they might need another week or two to finish carbing up. But I've been drinking them, pretty smooth for 11.2% abv

Finished the last stragglers of what I received over the holiday weekend.

@wtaylor3 - I enjoyed the pirate strong ale - (I am aging the 2nd bottle)

Was it carbonated? I find it's delicious when you get a carbonated bottle but I'm only getting like 1 carbonated for every 5 I open. I think I was asking too much out of the yeast to make 11.2% abv AND then carbonate.

I was actually legitimately hoping you got the picks of the litter. They're smoothing out nicely finally.

How long are you planning on aging the other one? You have me thinking about putting away a six pack until next summer now, I think with a year of age it should be fantastic

I was actually legitimately hoping you got the picks of the litter. They're smoothing out nicely finally.

How long are you planning on aging the other one? You have me thinking about putting away a six pack until next summer now, I think with a year of age it should be fantastic

I used to save beers. They really didn't get better with time (except the very high ABV ones). Best to just live for today.

Sorry for being MIA for so long, but I made it through! I won't bore you with what held me up for SOOOO long, but I will give you details on what is sitting on my counter ready to be mailed out. Since it has been so long, I included a few extra samples for the accumulated "interest":

1. Smoked jalepeno porter (intentionally very light on pepper. no burn, just retro-nasal. i'm not a fan of super hot beers. This took a silver medal at NHC, as well as a local competition.

2. Old Ale - although the alc % is a bit higher than style - this took a bronze medal at NHC.

3. Cocoa Brown - turned out a bit sweeter than i intended. The cocoa nibs come through nicely. Bronze at NHC

4. Blonde Ale - a bit heavy for a blonde. needs more acidity. but drinkable. never submitted to a comp.

5. Salted Caramel Coffee Milk Stout - i like caramel latte's and stouts... seemed like a good combo. I would definitely change a few things next time. Bronze at NHC

6. Chocolate raspberry port - yup, its a wine/port. be careful, she clocks in at 17.5%!

Again, sorry for the delay. I would be interested in hearing any of your comments - good and bad. Always trying to improve!

Sorry for being MIA for so long, but I made it through! I won't bore you with what held me up for SOOOO long, but I will give you details on what is sitting on my counter ready to be mailed out. Since it has been so long, I included a few extra samples for the accumulated "interest":

1. Smoked jalepeno porter (intentionally very light on pepper. no burn, just retro-nasal. i'm not a fan of super hot beers. This took a silver medal at NHC, as well as a local competition.

2. Old Ale - although the alc % is a bit higher than style - this took a bronze medal at NHC.

3. Cocoa Brown - turned out a bit sweeter than i intended. The cocoa nibs come through nicely. Bronze at NHC

4. Blonde Ale - a bit heavy for a blonde. needs more acidity. but drinkable. never submitted to a comp.

5. Salted Caramel Coffee Milk Stout - i like caramel latte's and stouts... seemed like a good combo. I would definitely change a few things next time. Bronze at NHC

6. Chocolate raspberry port - yup, its a wine/port. be careful, she clocks in at 17.5%!

Again, sorry for the delay. I would be interested in hearing any of your comments - good and bad. Always trying to improve!

Just tried the cocoa brown. I enjoyed this one. One thing though, head retention was pretty lacking. Not sure if it was due tot re cocoa nibs or what.

I also tried the smoked Porter for dinner. This one leaked a bit in transit but only lost an ounce or two. I opened the cap and it popped louder than any bottle I've ever opened. Almost champagne sounding.

It poured nothing but head. Maybe I got a bottle that had too much priming sugar???
This one was ok. I didn't taste any heat but the smokiness came through.

The other two (barley wine and and the caramel coffee milk stout) will be opened tomorrow or Friday. Feedback to follow.

Sorry guys I probably won't be able to set one up this year so I'll have to hand this off to someone else this time.

Sorry guys I probably won't be able to set one up this year so I'll have to hand this off to someone else this time.

I have never set one up/run one before before, but play enough fantasy to know how to open a group.
Do we just need an open group and a thread?

I have never set one up/run one before before, but play enough fantasy to know how to open a group.
Do we just need an open group and a thread?

There was a password on it last year, so I think it's a "closed" group. But yeah I think you're on the right track. I just can't do it this week. I'll help in the future though.

I can set up a group, in ESPN.
And just repost Wyobrewers rules from 2015.

I don't have access to HBT on my work computer so I have to use my phone.
This would make PM the password difficult
I could post it in the thread!
Or PM password later tonight
Any thoughts?

Latest posts

Back