Tilt readings...after calibration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilljack13

That's what she said!
Reaction score
I have 4 Tilt hydrometers. I noticed they were reading 4 points lower than my refractometer so, calibrated all 4 at three points, 1.00, 1.060, and 1.120. All good! Well, I did a 1 gal yesterday and the OG was 1.061 which was 1 point higher than expected. However, the Tilt showed 1.057. 4 points lower??? I just added the calibration point and Tilt was good at 1.061. This morning I check the Tilt reading and it was reporting 1.065, 4 points again, only high this time. Temps were different. Starting temp was 78.1F and current showing 50F. Didn't think there would be such a discrepancy within standard ferm temps.

Anyone having these issues with Tilt readings. I get they are not exact and should only be used to monitor fermentation to FG, but when going through calibration I would expect the numbers to be a bit closer at least. And why is magic number always 4 🤷‍♂️

I’ve noticed something similar. It will show me a calibrated number and the large gravity reading, always 4 points between them as you’re seeing. So I just assume the middle.

I still get my FG with hydrometer. I got a discount on mine as well, new. 20% for military.
At least for now the temp has stabilized and reading is 1.061. Some fermentation has started but not enough for bubbles.

Last edited:
My Tilt is so wonky, doesn't hold calibration for nuthin', I really use it mainly to see when fermentation is finished and don't place any faith in the actual readings. My most recent batch was off by 7 points compared to a traditional hydrometer even after trying to calibrate it. And I'm pretty anal about calibration stuff too, more than just about anybody. Don't trust the Tilt, for specific gravity anyway. At least the thermometer is accurate!

For a while I was calibrating my tilts with my phone and using my tablet to monitor fermentation. I didn't realize that the calibration didn't carry between the two devices. When I finally figured this out, I used the tablet to calibrate and monitor. I get a pretty accurate reading from either of my tilts. The only problem I have now is that yeast from the krausen has a tendency to stick to the outside of the tilt which throws off the calibration. Since I always use a hydrometer to take a final gravity reading and a refractometer to take the OG anyway, this is not much of a problem.

The only time I have had issue with my Tilt is when I tried to calibrate them so I use each of them pre-calibrated without issue. My refractomer generally reads higher than the Tilt but I use the Tilt to establish my baseline OG.

The only time I have had issue with my Tilt is when I tried to calibrate them so I use each of them pre-calibrated without issue. My refractomer generally reads higher than the Tilt but I use the Tilt to establish my baseline OG.
I have had a similar experience. Mine are usually very stable and reasonably accurate as long as I don’t mess with them too much. Sometimes one is off by a point or two but it’s easy enough for me to correct for that in my head.

Yes, and others have said previously there is nothing aboslute with instrumentation. Everything is relative to what we estblish as the baseline. I can use a hydrometer, but it takes 10ml or so each reading, and my eyes have difficulty reading between the lines, the refractometer is relative to its own issues but the lines are larger so I can generally land on a solid number. I like the digital readout for the Tilt and I am willing to accept its reading generally 3-4 lower than the refractometer. My AG recipes are often at slight variance from the predicted Brewer's Friend and I have begun accepting the outcome "as is" and resisting the need to correct my OG w/ sugar or DME to approach a specific ABV. Anymore it doesn't matter whether my resulting beer is 5.7% or 6.2% if it has the right color, flavor, body, head retention, etc. Given I m a relative newb with AG brewing, adopting a Zen approach and a path to perfection everything is good as long as it's drinkable and enjoyable.

I don't mind, and don't expect all these measurements to be exact. When I noticed a 4 point difference between the refractometer and tilt I figured to try and calibrate. Still 4 points lower on the Tilt. At least it is consistent.

I run a Tilt with every batch, but agree the readings are typically a little lower than refractometer or hydrometer readings. Tilt is useful to me for determining progress of fermentation, to avoid having to pull a sample. Have also suspected the Kraüsen sticking to the top of the Tilt affects the reading

Yeah, we got some good krausen
1000005331.jpg

Anyone having these issues with Tilt readings. I get they are not exact and should only be used to monitor fermentation to FG, but when going through calibration I would expect the numbers to be a bit closer at least. And why is magic number always 4 🤷‍♂️
What I do, which seems to work well is..
1) Calibrate the tilt in water to verify that it is reading 1.000. I don't think you have to do this every brew day, as it seems to stick well, but it is easy to verify.
2) At the start of fermentation, delete any non-1.000 calibration readings and set the calibration to my hydrometer reading.

With these steps, I find that my FG is usually within one gravity point of my hydrometer reading (assuming it is not impacted by additions such as hops).

Note, I just tweak the calibration settings in the app. I think you can actually push calibration settings to the Tilts, but I have not messed with this.

What I do, which seems to work well is..
1) Calibrate the tilt in water to verify that it is reading 1.000. I don't think you have to do this every brew day, as it seems to stick well, but it is easy to verify.
2) At the start of fermentation, delete any non-1.000 calibration readings and set the calibration to my hydrometer reading.

With these steps, I find that my FG is usually within one gravity point of my hydrometer reading (assuming it is not impacted by additions such as hops).

Note, I just tweak the calibration settings in the app. I think you can actually push calibration settings to the Tilts, but I have not messed with this.
Wow, I just did this. Brewed my second 1 gal since Saturday and yet again the Tilt was 4 points low. "Calibrated" to the wort based off refracto measurement.

Wow, I just did this. Brewed my second 1 gal since Saturday and yet again the Tilt was 4 points low. "Calibrated" to the wort based off refracto measurement.
Maybe make sure the Tilt is floating free. If it is touching the side of the fermenter or one of the ridges, it will throw off the reading. In any case, I don't fully trust the gravity readings of the Tilt, but they are very handy for seeing when the gravity flat lines, and having a temp probe in the beer is more handy than I expected.

Yes, I too float my tilt in water/star San to make sure it's on and reading @ zero before it's in the wort and I start the logging. This has worked well enough without having to do a calibration.

Back