Normal fermentation for lager/festbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilljack13

That's what she said!
Reaction score
I am fermenting the NB Oktoberfest and used 34/70. I pitched two sachets and set temp to 51F. Brewed and started fermenting on 3/23. My OG showed 1.062 and a week later I am seeing 1.028, however I believe this to be 1.032 due to anything after OG is read by Tilt and the OG for it was 4 points lower. After over a week should the SG be a bit lower? I was getting ready to start ramping up the temps but doesn't seem like I'm halfway there yet. I am using a Flex+ and it is sitting at 7 psi.

According to Fermentis the ideal temperature range for 34/70 is between 53.6 and 64.4
Maybe try warming it up a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_7319.jpeg
    IMG_7319.jpeg
    263.6 KB · Views: 0
A week later and Tilt is showing 1.0185. Tomorrow is two weeks. I don't know how much lower this will go since it actually started with a higher OG than what the recipe called for. Also, I should add four points to the Tilt reading, so looking at around 1.022.

What issues, if any, would there be if I went ahead and put this in a keg? Should I let it sit and condition or go ahead and start the lagering?

My issue is I need to drain my chiller since it has a leak and I am working with Spike to get it resolved, plus I have another brew hooked to the chiller and I'm sorta stuck until I get this thing figured out.

I wouldn’t trust the tilt to be 100% accurate. Have you taken a sample and measured the gravity with a hydrometer?
It's under pressure so I have only taken a small .5oz sample. My Tilts are 4 points lower than my refractometer. Could I do an adjustment measurement with the refractometer?

It's under pressure so I have only taken a small .5oz sample. My Tilts are 4 points lower than my refractometer. Could I do an adjustment measurement with the refractometer?
Refractometers are not ideal for post fermentation gravity readings as alcohol affects the refractive index of the liquid. I suppose you could use a correction formula, though.

Maybe bad advice but I wouldn’t sweat it if you’ve been fermenting for two weeks, including a temperature ramp. Keg it, lager it for a month, and see how it tastes.

I’d turn off the chiller and let it rise to your room temperature and see what happens. If it’s done, you’ll know.

A festbier I recently kicked was one of the best I've ever brewed. I had little hope - it had stalled at 1.030. I gave it three days, then kicked it up to 62F and roused the yeast (WY 2206). It worked - finished at 1.011, dropped brilliantly clear and as I said, one of the best beers I've ever done. I'd suggest the temp rise as people are saying, maybe with a rousing. Good luck.

Back