Random Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made up a keg charger using about 3 feet of leftover Bevlex 200 PVC line, a couple of swivels, and some brass bits...

keg_charger.jpg

I plug that into a drier attached to my oil-less compressor, set the pressure to around 20 psi, and let it rip. Great for leak checks without burning up CO2...

Cheers!

I respect folks that take that extra effort. It's probably for the best 👍

That allowed, I stopped routinely breaking down kegs between batches many years ago. I do a hot water flush in my brew sink with the lid removed, stick 'em on my Mark II with the hottest tap water I can muster with two tablespoons of PBW for five minutes, then rinse with the same hot water for a couple of minutes, then add a few ounces of Star San, lube all the external O-rings, seal 'em up, and hit 'em with ~20 psi from my compressor to check the poppets for leaks. If they get that far they move to the "ready" area for their next batch.

I've never had an evident infection...
I do exactly the same.
Except I use CO2, as I don't have an oil-less compressor.

Yet.

Is this a current ad or something from 1979?
Michael's email ad today. Worldwide web and ubiquitous email shows up April 1993, so, yeah, current.

(For those who don't know it, Michaels Stores, Inc., more commonly known as Michaels, is a privately held chain of American and Canadian arts and crafts stores. It is North America's largest provider of arts, crafts, framing, floral and wall décor, and merchandise for makers and do-it-yourself home decorators. Wikipedia)

I call this piece "Canoe Deconstructed Part A"

Canoe_Deconstructed_Part_A.jpg

And "Canoe Deconstructed Part 2"

Canoe_Deconstructed_Part_2.jpg

This was a 17 foot 1960 Lincoln Canoe, from the original factory in the hamlet of Gleasondale in the town of Stow, MA. My dad picked it up from the factory and I remember the day well. We fished the heck out of it all over New England, and after he passed I used it for many years.

But I had some rather large fishing buddies back in the '00s, pushing the high side of 300 pounds, and finally on one fateful float down the upper Connecticut River it developed some long cracks in the bilges. Inspection showed the epoxy glass matrix was seriously fragmenting and questionable that it could hold up to reglassing, so it sat in our shed up north since maybe 2004 with our other canoes. But when I recently cleaned out the shed I decided it was time for the old girl to go.

Turns out getting rid of such things intact is non-trivial around here, so I decided it'd be easier to chop it up and toss it in the dumpster. An hour with a Sawzall and a metal chop saw and she was suitable for disposal...

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a bit of sadness still because it reminds me of my dad, but the die really was cast almost two decades ago, it just took this long to come to terms and deal with it. I have two other canoes bought around 1980 - a Grumman aluminum 17 my boys grew up using with me, and an Old Town 'glass 12 with a super stable 42" beam I use for flyfishing solo - so we've gotten along without the Lincoln...

Cheers!

we have a disco ball on our tree.

it's also a smoke detector.

for some reason we also have a pickle ornament. supposedly a German tradition (kid who finds the pickle ornament first gets extra attention from Santa or somesh*t) but most Germans have never heard of it. Weihnachtsgurke

"This Season's Trendiest Holiday Decor"

WTF?

View attachment 833957

Mm-hm.
That'll be a multifaceted, wildly reflectionary hard pass here.

When my kid were around 4 and 6 we visited the inlaws in France. The kids asked why they were raising so many rabbits I explained that in France people like to eat rabbits my son asked if we could have one for dinner. So my mother inlaw let each kid pick one, then she whacked them on the head, gutted and skinned them and the kids each carried their dinner to the kitchen. We ate a lot of rabbit that summer

Back