Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Brewski

I've just had a closer look and the batch seems to have split, there's a thinner liquid about 5mm deep on top of the rest of the batch, these oily flakes seem to be on top of both. Any idea what it is or what's going on?

Tettnang is a tea right? If it is then what we're seeing could be the oils from the tea? Doesn't look like an infection to me.

Tettnang is a German lager/wheat beer hop.

I racked the batch off leaving the oily flakes behind and gave it a quick taste test and it was fine, so I've kegged it. :ban:

Whoa! I think my amber ale is ruined. Never seen anything like this before! Have you? Strange though, it doesn't smell bad..completely normal.
_MG_4084_zpsed32c064.jpg
_MG_4086_zpsea8300a2.jpg

Not sure if this is the start of an infection. It looks kind of yeasty. There isn't much of it physically on the beer, more along the top of my carboy.

DSC_0180[1].jpg

DSC_0179[1].jpg

This is inside of 1 of (2) 3gal carboys. Half of a split batch NB Imperial Stout. Nothing added, just made according to recipe. The other half actually has 1.5oz of hungarian oak in it and doesn't look like this.

Advice? Continue to age it until September as is? Or Rack from underneath and age as planned for additions at the end of summer for a holiday stout come Dec?

I think I'm going to get another batch ready as backup just in case, but I'm hoping this "infection" tastes awesome.

DSC_0383.jpg

Thought it was good to go. Very light taste up front and really hoppy at the end. First time using a swamp cooler and adding some extract late. Excellent.

Can anyone tell me what type if infection this may be? This is a Brewers Best Rye Pale Ale....the white substance formed in the secondary after dry hopping

image-1233528736.jpg

Not fuzzy at all....just a white layer on top of almost half of the hops....this was the first plastic carboy I have ever used....I made a Belgium Tripel at the same time and had no issues

Not fuzzy at all....just a white layer on top of almost half of the hops....this was the first plastic carboy I have ever used....I made a Belgium Tripel at the same time and had no issues

If it's not fuzzy, I'd say it's probably just yeast and CO2 bubbles. Keep your eye on it for any changes but it looks ok to me. If it's milky, that might be something to look out for.

gcdowd said:
If it's not fuzzy, I'd say it's probably just yeast and CO2 bubbles. Keep your eye on it for any changes but it looks ok to me. If it's milky, that might be something to look out for.

Thanks for your help. It smells and tastes fine. I kegged it and hoping it ends up ok. It was in the secondary for 2 weeks

This is inside of 1 of (2) 3gal carboys. Half of a split batch NB Imperial Stout. Nothing added, just made according to recipe. The other half actually has 1.5oz of hungarian oak in it and doesn't look like this.

Advice? Continue to age it until September as is? Or Rack from underneath and age as planned for additions at the end of summer for a holiday stout come Dec?

I think I'm going to get another batch ready as backup just in case, but I'm hoping this "infection" tastes awesome.

Anybody know what this is and whether or not it will yield a viable brew?

This is after ~three weeks in the primary, when I opened it to put in the dry hops. Is this the start of an infection or just normal floaty stuff.

IMG_1784.jpg

whoaru99 said:
This is after ~three weeks in the primary, when I opened it to put in the dry hops. Is this the start of an infection or just normal floaty stuff.

Normal floaters

Any guesses as to what this is? It showed up in secondary after I racked it. Planning on bottling this weekend.

If I had to guess, I'd say something like lacto or pedio or some other gram positive lactobacillaceae sp. I had similar rafting on a berliner weiss (us-05 and lacto) before pitching brett.

Co2 bubbles. Normal.

I have no idea what it is.

Started out as a partial mash bitter on 12 May with an OG of 1032. Today the FG was 1012.

The beer tastes okay, just lacking some of the hops character that should be in it. I have bottled it.

Firstly, thanks for the replies.

Let me just clarify the situation. I brewed this on 12 May and intended to bottle it early June, life got in the way and it ended up spending 6 weeks in primary. I took the photo right after taking the gravity sample and just before I racked it to the bottling bucket. I posted the photo after bottling the entire batch. I batch primed with cane suger (I nirmally use dextrose and wanted to try cane) to 2 volumes. The grav sample tasted good. The last half pint from the bottling bucket went into a glass in the fridge and was tasted after it cooled and after it had been identified as infected. Based on the sample, this is not my best beer to date, but also far from the worst.

Now I have a few questions.
1. When you say leave it, I assume you mean to leave it in the bottles.
2. Is there any risk of bottle bombs?
3. How long should I leave it?
4. What changes can I expect over time?
5. Should I keep the bottling bucket and fermenting bucket just for buggy beers now?

If the gravity is stable and it tastes fine, bottle it.

Leave it!! If it's stable, you're good. And lacto can be a thing of beauty when it's fully developed.

1. Yes
2. Dunno. If the gravity was stable, likely ok. How long was it stable? What was the FG?
3. Til it's carbed... if you're worried about bombs, check it regularly. Take action if it seems to be getting very overcarbed.
4. Assuming it's lacto, or some other gram positive lactobacillaceae; a sour/tart acidic character can develop over time. Since your beer's a bit hop forward, lacto/pedio may not fully develop. They're shy around the hops.
5. I would. You can never be sure that you get all the microbes out of plastic. But.... there's dudes who use their plastic for both sours and clean beers. If you do the latter, make sure your sanitation game is second to none.

My $.02... if you run into this problem (or unexpected joy, depending on outlook) again, let the "infection" fully develop and work on the beer. Treat it like an intentionally inoculated sour. When the pellicle drops, begin taking gravity and pH readings. If the gravity and pH are stable, more importantly the gravity, over a few weeks, then package or blend.

So I checked my cascade SMaSH and found this little beauty. A film of dusty-looking white with a few bubbles. It didn't have this film before adding dry hops. I added dry hops in a 3"tea ball that I thought was sanitized but apparently not. Lacto? Hops were only added a week and a half ago (got busy) and the beer tastes fine under the layer. Gonna bottle tomorrow ASAP and bleach all the equipment afterwards.

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

Hey just wondering if I should be concerned or not. I'm 1 week into fermentation. I opened my fermenting pale today and this was the first time I had seen this. Or is it just krausen curdles that haven't fallen ?

image-1343358851.jpg

Thanks for the responses! I usually take a peek the end of week 2. Got a little worried.

Back