Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got rid of my plastic primary and brewed a batch using a glass carboy for my primary. I had replaced all other transfer and fermenting elements.The first post plastic primary batch is in secondary and no sign of infection. That's after 5 or 6 batches with infections after primary.

Go to glass and it'll kick ur ass :D

Hey guys I have a tumbler clone that has been aging in a secondary. At some point the airlock was knocked off and possibly off for a day or so. Since then the beer had seemed a little active and I am curious if infection/contamination is possibly happening.

ForumRunner_20130510_060632.jpg

ForumRunner_20130510_060704.jpg

ForumRunner_20130510_060750.jpg

Hey guys I have a tumbler clone that has been aging in a secondary. At some point the airlock was knocked off and possibly off for a day or so. Since then the beer had seemed a little active and I am curious if infection/contamination is possibly happening.

Looks like it re-krausened. But that's sacch, nothing to worry about.

Anyone ever try to quell an infection by adding dissolved Campden Tabs to the already truly infected batch? If I remember correctly, campden Kills wild yeasties as well as monkeys with the pH level... Dunno if it'd work.
I'm probably wrong but just wondering...

Anyone ever try to quell an infection by adding dissolved Campden Tabs to the already truly infected batch? If I remember correctly, campden Kills wild yeasties as well as monkeys with the pH level... Dunno if it'd work.
I'm probably wrong but just wondering...

I had a friend that had an infected cider once. He boiled his yeast before he pitched it, and there wasn't enough live yeast to stave off the infection. He developed raft like floaters on the cider and then they turned to mold. I tried to get him to change it over to another carboy and repitch when they were just rafts. He waited until the mold spores were releasing, and infected the cider. Depending on which type of infection you could, in theory, rack it to another vessel before the infection sets in and causes off flavors. Hit it with campden tablets, and then re pitch the yeast. Once the off flavor develop, you won't get them out so it has to be very quick.

Makes sense. Bummer. I got 5 gals of ipa that's definately infected, foul off flavor has truly set in despite the heavy hopping.

image-220947542.jpg

This was it a week ago. Above.
And just yesterday below.

image-2646371978.jpg

'Twas a Millenium Falcon IPA brewed for AHA's big brew day. The saddest part is when I accidentally dropped one of the buckets full of wort as soon as I got all my gear home & in the garage. 5 gallons of delicious sweet wort coating the basement floor. First half of the days efforts lost, and the second half infected. Even though my lhbs & my brew crew paid for all my ingredients, it's all lost, and the pipeline's running low.
Here's a run-down of process:
1.058 wort, AMPLE Kolsch yeast fermented at about 70*F ( high for that yeast, I know), tons of late hops, convinced my sanitation was sound though I was out of my element; brewing in the parking lot of said LHBS rather than my controlled garage, used yeast nutrient, etc.
I suspect my bucket(s) and/or yeast was contaminated.
I've since ditched all the buckets, except the infected batch, and now ferment in a converted sanke keg.
This is the second batch of IPA that went south on me. Though the first wasn't unpleasant, it just went a lil Belgian. Still awesome, just not planned that way. The art of this craft is the predictability.

Hi guys,

I'm a noob and I've had this IPA in the primary for a week or so now.. Doesn't look to pretty or like the normally stuff that dries on the top of the fermenter. Is it an infection?

IMAG0275.jpg

Hi guys,

I'm a noob and I've had this IPA in the primary for a week or so now.. Doesn't look to pretty or like the normally stuff that dries on the top of the fermenter. Is it an infection?

Just like the three guys above me it is krausen. What is your OG? You will find that the highly active beers will foam up to the top. It looks like your krausen got to the kneck of your Better Bottle. Jut in case you are not doing it already, I recommend using a blow of tube next time. If your airlock becomes clogged the pressure will build up, and it can paint your walls and roof.

So I bottled the beer that I posted earlier, and here's to it turning out delicious. I will follow up in a few weeks to let you all know how it turned out.

This is BM bicentennial blonde....its been in the in the primary 17 days and in the secondary 11days....I crashed it for like 3 days and couldn't keep up with it hasn't been above 72....

IMG_0577.jpg

This is BM bicentennial blonde....its been in the in the primary 17 days and in the secondary 11days....I crashed it for like 3 days and couldn't keep up with it hasn't been above 72....

No, no it's not.

Was an English IPA, now this fermenter is a utility bucket

Niiiiiiiiiice!! That was an accident?

NordeastBrewer77 said:
It looks like brett, which may not be what you wanted, but may not be bad in an IPA. I've had 100% brett IPAs and IPAs brett'd in secondary that were nice. Are you gonna let it ride and see what you end up with?

Nope it made me want to vomit. I guess I don't have a palate for sours. It went down the drain as I hummed taps quietly.

Ouch! Wild brews? Cuz that hurts man. I'm too much of a sour/brett n00b to have dumped one of mine yet, but I dread the day.

none of those type of infections. I tracked down and it was a leaking cooling coil that introduced a nice taste of chlorine. Caught it too late to save all these batches. :(

I got two intentional wild brews going and maybe a third soon.

none of those type of infections. I tracked down and it was a leaking cooling coil that introduced a nice taste of chlorine. Caught it too late to save all these batches. :(

I got two intentional wild brews going and maybe a third soon.

Oh, that sucks. Same thing happened to a local brewery recently... kinda... glycol leaked from the jacket into a fermenter holding a double batch of their most popular and they had to dump it.

I'm doing a Consecration clone and this is about a month after pitching a mix of bugs (Roselare Blend and dregs of Supplication and Consecration). It's about 2 months since pitching Brett and almost 4 months since brewing. It seems to be coming along quite nicely.

TfKt49P.jpg

I'm doing a Consecration clone and this is about a month after pitching a mix of bugs (Roselare Blend and dregs of Supplication and Consecration). It's about 2 months since pitching Brett and almost 4 months since brewing. It seems to be coming along quite nicely.

Nice! My club did a Temptation clone using Roselare and Tempt. dregs. It's been in a honey barrel since last year and is coming along exceptionally well.

Making myself a (Imperial bitter), using California yeast.
10 days in and it looks like this (22*c)

It didn't taste bad, though the smell is kinda heavy-beerish

Any Ideas?

image-490369308.jpg

Just looks like yeast rafts to me.
I've had infection spring up fairly soon during a young ferment, but looks like yeast to me. You may be able to tell by smell or taste, but 10 days is pretty young to ascertain much of the mysteries of fermentation and conditioning.
Relax, dude. Don't worry. Have a homebrew.

I got those rafts for the first time in my Bitter batch I racked last night. Had sediment all down the sides of the carboy too. FG was a tad high for a high floccuation yeast - 1.018.

Do the rafts usually occur more often when using yeast nutrient or not?

this is my bitter, after 3 weeks in primary and 1 in secondary it's still bubbling away quite regularly (FG: 1.018). I'm guessing it's just CO2 trapped in hop oils? Still curious why it's still active after 4 weeks for Safale S-04 :s

okbehcxh.vps.jpg

this is my bitter, after 3 weeks in primary and 1 in secondary it's still bubbling away quite regularly (FG: 1.018). I'm guessing it's just CO2 trapped in hop oils? Still curious why it's still active after 4 weeks for Safale S-04 :s

Agreed it's crazy to have activity after that long, but it really just looks like CO2 bubbles. No indication of infection that I can see

I've found that some yeast strains go like gangbusters early on then end pretty quickly like wyeast's 1058, others take their sweet time. I have a Belgian Saison that's been around for 5 weeks. I moved it to a warmer room and it reactivated the yeast. It's bubbling like it's only a week old !! So I wouldn't worry too much it looks great !!

This is a batch of Tettnang Tiger extract brew, it was in primary for 9 days, then left in secondary/conditioning for a month while I was away. I've just opened it up to keg and it looks like this, it's like oily flakes in the top 5mm or so. I this my first ever infection?

tettnangtiger.jpg

Integer said:
This is a batch of Tettnang Tiger extract brew, it was in primary for 9 days, then left in secondary/conditioning for a month while I was away. I've just opened it up to keg and it looks like this, it's like oily flakes in the top 5mm or so. I this my first ever infection?

Not yet. Looks clean to me. I've seen the oily flakes before. Not an infection.

Back