My First Mead Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SyntactixOfficial

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm new to this forum and i have started making mead about 3 weeks ago now and i just want to ask what you all think about the look of the second picture, does it look ready? , im a complete noob so all tips are welcome

1st picture is when i first put it in a carboy
2nd picture is a picture taken a couple days ago

(its a Peach Mead, I have no idea if this works i just like peach :p)

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• b7458bc9-de0b-4a9e-91c8-3167ac25faf9.jpg
    b7458bc9-de0b-4a9e-91c8-3167ac25faf9.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 0
  • 8d4b77da-2c33-4e3d-8cc6-3192cffe0630.jpg
    8d4b77da-2c33-4e3d-8cc6-3192cffe0630.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 0
Welcome to HBT and mead making!

If you mean "ready" as in finished fermenting, looks won't tell that. You'll need to check the specific gravity with a hydrometer. When you get constant readings for a couple of times in a row 3-4 days apart and those are in the 1.000 area, you're probably finished.

If you mean "ready" as in ready to drink, if this is a mead in the 12+ abv range, you'll probably need at least a few months of aging for it to start tasting better and smoothing out.

If you mean ready to rack off the fruit, give it a taste and see if you like the peachiness. If it's too low, leave it longer, tasting every few days until it's how you want it or it stops improving, then transfer to another carboy.

Once it tastes like you want it and has finished fermenting, you can bottle it to age for a few months, then start tasting occasionally to see how it's coming along. Good luck!

Back