Pitched my first~!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanJuanWorm

Beer. Because you can’t drink bacon.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Folks, hope you're all keeping busy at home, and getting outside when you can. Crazy times, indeed!

On my first foray into hard cider! Doing 19L, got a 1.090 for the initial, and I am using E1118 yeasties. I pitched 30min ago! Woohoo!

Trying a Drunken Emu clone, with some extra sugar. Also, I steeped 4L (1 gal) with a 'mulling spice' bag that was sitting around after Xmas.

Looking forward to racking into the glass secondary for a while. Might carbonate half and then leave the rest still.

Stay frosty, everyone. We can do this!

-M.

Cider_spice.jpg

Well, so far the yeasties seem very happy. They're fizzing away nicely, with plenty of natural agitation from the small bubbles. Reminds me of a pop bottle when one first opens it. Happy days! :ban:

-M.

Took a sample tonight, as the major foaminess has subsided. Still percolating away, however. Only down to 1.040 from 1.090 but the flavour is amazing!

A very clean taste, almost 'light' with mild fruitiness and already a bit dry! I feel it was a good idea to use organic sweet cider (and the must in the bottles!) along with the rest of the apple juice. Very happy so far, aside from the FG and yeasty overtones.

Purchased a gelatine pac from my LHBS and added a touch more yeast-nutrient. Definitely going to carbonate the whole batch once everything calms down. Looking for 0.990 as a Final and going to prime with corn sugar. Cider is fun! :)

-M.

OK... so not panicking yet, as all the 'sulfur-compound' stank is gone from my Primary. It smells the same as the apple mixture I put in at the start.

However, after adding a bit more yeast-nutrient, it now looks like this. Taking a FG.....

Secondary? Gelatine now? Throw it in the river?

-M.

cider5.jpg

Last edited:
OK... full edit......

It was just fizz, not a white mold.

It tested at 1.015... wow, in one day.

Going to transfer tomorrow, with a bubbler on top.

Incredibly dry over the one day, and still retains tart apple flavour.

Very fun!

-M.

Back