Obnoxious Football Trash Talk Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amateur as in the feeder league to the NFL (equivalent to the Minors in Baseball). Not terribly unlike college basketball to the NBA. Semi-pro doesn't really feel right as a description. It's just the "called up" part that could use a little polish. :)

Stratslinger, I don't really agree with your assertion either. By the time they get to the NFL the strongest and fastest have been called up which make some of the gimmick offenses you see in college seem implausible but when they're run they're typically thrown together makeshift and treated as gimmick. That said, there really are only a few very nice defenses in the NFL as the bulk of the money still seems to always be thrown at the Offense.

Whether any of it could survive the NFL remains to be seen as very few offenses have ever stuck with such a thing for very long. Many people are also rather selective what they consider a success. Frankly I'd say the gimmick plug in in SF seems to be paying dividends as they were a few suspect plays in the end zone away from winning the SB. In any event, I don't foresee any real change happening any time soon barring some owner/admin group growing a set of balls and giving it a real shot. In the NFL, even historically, they embrace an idea that the ONLY thing that works is what seems to be working at that time. Years ago it was all about running the ball being your primary concern. Defense took the limelight for a while... Then the whole "West Coast Offense" took that by storm for a bit and still rears it's ugly face from time to time. Frankly I'd call much of what we seeing currently as more of the Fun n' Gun style which is ironic given it's past.

I'm not sure why it would make any real difference which NFL team you support anyway as it's become a "Who'll pay me the most now?" sport in the name of (allegedly) parity. I read a good writeup at some point where the person suggested making the maximum contract span 2 years (restricted) with 10% of the players weight against the cap drop with each full season spent with a team. At least that way teams would be encouraged to keep players they liked as their egos (and sometimes rightfully so) increased over their careers. The actual cap would have to be lowered as a result most likely but it'd still be much more entertaining to watch in my opinion as teams cultivated and molded their own talents. I also suspect that it would eliminate a lot of your "busts" as you put it as the primary problem with many of those is frequently their speed of adaptation to whatever system is in play at the team they end up on.

I wouldn't consider a scholarship associated with what is frequently a worthless degree much in the way of payment so yes, I would consider them the Amateurs feeding the Pros. You also don't see kids being drafted out of High School. Even the NFL treats college as more or less the Minor Leagues (which I've heard "Amateurs" countless times used synonymously for).

Sugarcoat it and call it whatever the hell you'd like... I could care less but if you can't see my point there isn't much help for you.

Does all this anger stem from the fact that you guys are not Patriots fans, and have to watch the college games to get over the fact that your pro teams suck?

It's cute, and sad... Kinda like Hoppy's mom.

So what you *****es are saying is that you're simply fans of the NFL? Real fans enjoy it at all levels. Especially considering that 95% of the NFL came from the college game where they made even more spectacular plays than the're making in the NFL.

Myself...I'm a fan of the game. Not a particular league only like a tool who's never experienced variety.

Football or not... college sports, in general, SUCK.

I'm not an NFL only guy. I like other sports. I enjoy baseball and find it a satisfying way to pass the time from April until football season starts up again. But this is the worst time of year for me. Once the major trade talk dies down there's nothing but freakin' college basketball on the sports talk stations. I don't give two craps about march freakin' madness. Basketball sucks. College sports suck. Add them together and you get the biggest pile of suck on the face of the earth. The great thing about college baseball is that NOBODY CARES ABOUT IT so you don't have to hear anything about college sports between April and September and after that the NFL can just drown it out through February.

I'm not an NFL only guy. I like other sports. I enjoy baseball and find it a satisfying way to pass the time from April until football season starts up again. But this is the worst time of year for me. Once the major trade talk dies down there's nothing but freakin' college basketball on the sports talk stations. I don't give two craps about march freakin' madness. Basketball sucks. College sports suck. Add them together and you get the biggest pile of suck on the face of the earth. The great thing about college baseball is that NOBODY CARES ABOUT IT so you don't have to hear anything about college sports between April and September and after that the NFL can just drown it out through February.

Wow. I have to totally agree with you...... Sunday football with friends, beer and eats, rules ALL! Saturday football or any other sport ( and I am a big baseball fan ) for that matter,doesn't even come close.

+1,000

But now... Add up all of those things that make the football season awesome, and then imagine rooting for a team as awesome as the Pats. I know... I hear ya. That's my football season EVERY year

Why would we be upset not being NE fans? Last I saw, the only time they've gotten to the super bowl in the last half decade or so, they've choked and gotten abused by the less prolific Manning brother.

And maybe it's just us... Or alternatively your lack of quality college football options to watch/support... But we start that Sunday you mention a day early and have twice the fun and good times. And for the saturday games we get to go out and have a further good time after the games are played rather than just going to bed in anticipation of a long week at work (guess you could be a welfare leech but meh). In any event, sucks to be you I guess.

If that was directed at me Cape, I pity you. It must suck to live in such a drab world that there is nothing more exciting than the NFL. Don't get me wrong, it's great to watch and all... But if it's all I had I'm pretty sure I'd consider jumping off a bridge.

I've tried imagining being a pat's fan but it didn't work. I just can't imagine what it's like to be born without a penis.

Don't forget comical jerseys and that monster (legal) hit their db put on that RB some years back knocking him the f out...

Or that LeGarrette Blount haymaker around 3 ish years ago when they lost to Boise State. What a dick/sore loser.

edit

blount_punch1.gif

Don't forget comical jerseys and that monster (legal) hit their db put on that RB some years back knocking him the f out...

Comical? Don't hate the unis...hate the game

[ame="http://youtu.be/j8jeTM_cH50"]http://youtu.be/j8jeTM_cH50[/ame]

I don't hate the jerseys... They provide free entertainment value. The Pittsburgh bumblebee jerseys come to mind as an example.

Plus, all teams have occasional asshats. I won't necessarily hold that against the teams unless it appears the refs were paid off to ignore it. For that matter I'm such of watching clear favoritism from the refs in games I couldn't muster giving a $hit about otherwise....

Back