New Cider Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oregonbrew541

Reaction score
My lhbs guy told me this was new this year, forgive me if this has been discussed already but I'm anxious to try it and was wondering if anyone had used it or even seen it before?

IMG_1306.jpg

IMG_1307.jpg

Not the Cider specifically but I did use some Jack's Belgian. THAT was some seriously nifty yeast. If the Belgian strain is any indication of quality then, I as well, am anxious to try the cider strain. Report back and let us know!

Cheers,

-JM

Not the Cider specifically but I did use some Jack's Belgian. THAT was some seriously nifty yeast. If the Belgian strain is any indication of quality then, I as well, am anxious to try the cider strain. Report back and let us know!

Cheers,

-JM

will do, march 1st ill be starting a new five gallon batch of applekush :mug:

6 bucks! I'm new to this, but I like the idea of $1 for yeast. I guess I want my costs per oz to be as low as possible. The juice itself costs so much already....

6 bucks! I'm new to this, but I like the idea of $1 for yeast. I guess I want my costs per oz to be as low as possible. The juice itself costs so much already....

well as i see in your name your into organic, as am I. I'm an organic farmer actually and I've come to a conclusion that i don't drink enough to buy the organic juice(wayyy to expensive) i say most of everything is okay in moderation and as far as $1 for yeast where can you find deals like that? and what kind of yeast is it? and what kind of control do you have with it? the only organic yeast I have ever found was repunzel organic bread yeast but after using it three times with just decent results i said goodbye to organic yeast as well… I eat 100% organic and thats enough… organic is too expensive to consider as an economical home brew and thats why i home brew mainly to control cost and of course my end product. my brew is pretty cheap actually if you compare to any commercial hard cider brew out there & it also contains no sulfites!!! my lhbs is one of the more expensive shops in town but I'm loyal. Although i agree its expensive i also say its completely worth it!!! anyways :mug:

well as i see in your name your into organic, as am I. I'm an organic farmer actually and I've come to a conclusion that i don't drink enough to buy the organic juice(wayyy to expensive) i say most of everything is okay in moderation and as far as $1 for yeast where can you find deals like that? and what kind of yeast is it? and what kind of control do you have with it? the only organic yeast I have ever found was repunzel organic bread yeast but after using it three times with just decent results i said goodbye to organic yeast as well… I eat 100% organic and thats enough… organic is too expensive to consider as an economical home brew and thats why i home brew mainly to control cost and of course my end product. my brew is pretty cheap actually if you compare to any commercial hard cider brew out there & it also contains no sulfites!!! my lhbs is one of the more expensive shops in town but I'm loyal. Although i agree its expensive i also say its completely worth it!!! anyways :mug:

$1 yeast: Red Star or Lalvin dry yeasts...

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Home Brew mobile app

$1 yeast: Red Star or Lalvin dry yeasts...

At my lhbs they are roughly the same price as this packet of mangrove jacks.
but a few bucks is worth it for how fresh he keeps his stock in his refrigerators and his turn over rate is very high so i know I'm always getting the freshest products possible! Just curious is this your lhbs or online store where you are you getting these deals?

Midwest brewery supplies. Also, all over the internet. Try amazon. I've never had a problem with dry yeast before. Just rehydrate, feed it a bit and pitch.

Midwest brewery supplies. Also, all over the internet. Try amazon. I've never had a problem with dry yeast before. Just rehydrate, feed it a bit and pitch.

Sounds great i guess I've never really looked at any reputable online resources before. have you ever found any ale yeast like nottingham at that low of a price?

Found it on Amazon before. If it doesn't come from a reputable brewery supply, I would steer clear.

I'm in Oregon also, in Portland. I've been using the Red Star yeast, which is $1. So far, it seems to be working just fine. Although, I've yet to taste my cider. Still fermenting. I've tried two different kinds of Red Star. I definitely want to try some ale yeast next, like nottingham or something. I know that's going to cost a bit more...

Also, for organic apple juice - retail, I've found it at Costco for only 5.59 a gallon, which is great! I hope to find it cheaper in the fall when I'll try to buy it directly from some local organic orchards.

My current batch is on day 17...I am using the WL English Cider Yeast...she is still bubbling away. I have always heard great things about this strain...so I am giving it a go. I intend on pouring a new batch on top of the yeast cake right after I rack. Might as well get my moneys worth out of the yeast!

I'm in Oregon also, in Portland. I've been using the Red Star yeast, which is $1. So far, it seems to be working just fine. Although, I've yet to taste my cider. Still fermenting. I've tried two different kinds of Red Star. I definitely want to try some ale yeast next, like nottingham or something. I know that's going to cost a bit more...

Also, for organic apple juice - retail, I've found it at Costco for only 5.59 a gallon, which is great! I hope to find it cheaper in the fall when I'll try to buy it directly from some local organic orchards.

I've tried red star premier cuvee and Montrachet in cider and loved it. It did need aging compared to ale yeast it was a bit hoochy but with three months it's as good as commercial brews. I've tried about ten different strains of yeast now but Nottingham is just so forgiving and so consistent and produces a wonderful cider.

Latest posts

Back