Aging on lees (sur lies) - still cider…

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sballe

Reaction score
Yesterday I found an old bottle of cider from one of my first batches 3 years ago. When I was a real newbee ;)

It was supposed to be a sparkling-champagne-style, but it was a plastic-cork which probably had leaked co2 so it was completely still.

Also - I didn’t do any secondary back then, and had bottled this straight from primary fermentation. It was very clear - but had quite a yeast-cake in the bottom of the bottle.

Surprisingly - it was AMAZING!! Very complex. Very fruity. Very smooth. It tasted like some of the best orange wines I have had! (the style of white wine - not the fruit orange) It was on par with great wine!

My guess is that some autolysis from the yeast has happened. It has spent almost 2 years in the bottle. The yeast was Nottingham.

Now — anyone here that ages still cider on lees? (Sur lies). How long is usually recommended? Which yeasts work well for this? I am definitely trying to reproduce this !! It not really sure how to go about it.

I have even saved the lees from that particular bottle - wondering if that could be useful somehow?

Any help or discussion on the topic would be greatly appreciated:)

Back