Cider Clearing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WindingWayCider

Reaction score
This is my 4th brew of hard cider. I usually brew in the house but had some issues with off flavors due to high temps. For this brew I decided to try out the garage. The fermentation temperature was between 55-60 degrees Fahrenheit. Fermentation was very active for the first 7-10 days and has slowed to nothing now 3 weeks into fermentation. Temps have dropped to around 48 degrees now fermentation is complete. I noticed some strange streaks at the bottom of the carboy that I am guessing is just the cider clearing up? I haven't seen this before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 11.57.57.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 11.57.57.png
    8.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 11.57.41.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 11.57.41.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 11.57.20.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 11.57.20.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
Here are the details of the brew:

3/8/2024
7 Gal Sugarbee Apple Cider
11g Fermaid-O
8g SafCider AB-1
O.G - 1.060

your fine

i often find that slight variables can make my yeasts behave differently even though the must (or wort) is exactly the same. the temperature change could have easily enough caused the change in your sedimentation resulting those streaks.

Last edited:
Funny enough, I ran into this with my recent batch of cider. Its just how the yeast and sediment settle out.

Eventually as it cleared even more it settled more evenly. So like others have said nothing to worry about. :)

your cider is fine, completely normal. this is just me, but as my ciders and beers are clearing, I give the carboy a couple of good, firm twists back and forth to break the sediment clinging to the side of the carboy. not necessary, I'm just neurotic.

Thank you all for your responses. I really appreciate it. Looking forward to tasting the cooler temperature brew. My other brews have been in the mid 70 degree range and all have a pretty strong wine taste even after a few months of aging.

Back