Need tips for making own starter wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metalhead_brewer

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I normally take some wort for starters when i finish sparging on each brew, then boiling and reducting to esterilize and achieve desired 1.030 O.G. but sometimes with long time boiling i finish with very low wort like a liter or less per bbatch , so i'm thinking in make a batch just for starters and some questions come to mi mind, like

-What if i boil the mash and squeeze it so i can extract the maximum sugar in lees time from them?
-I won't brew with it so i don't have to care about astringency it won't affect yeast right?
-What if i mill grain finely? otherwise than stuck sparge and astringency there'll be no problem right?
I have some mason jars lying around and a fridge used only to cool beer and storage hops and washed yeast so i'll be a whole lot easier to me to make 4-5 gallons of "canned wort" and store it for later use and just with around 4 pounds of base malt.
what do you think?
do you have some tips? or what do you do to make your own wort for starters?

Greetings :rock:

We're just talking about starters for growing up yeast right? Just use 1lb DME/gallon of water (adjust weight/volumes to your need). Boil 5 min with a 1/4 tsp of yeast nutrient. Cool and pitch yeast.

Using DME is the simplest method to create the starter wort volume you need at the time.

Starter wort in volume to keep on hand needs to be pressure canned to avoid botulism spores from growing.

Squeezing the bag will not extract tannins.

Just do another sparge with two gallons to get at least 1.025 gravity, then boil it down to a gallon. You should wind up with 1.030 which is plenty for starter wort. Then you don't have to deal with the mess DME can be.

I "can" pre-boiled wort (extra-light DME) in 1 qt mason jars and use the hot water bath method. I end up with 7-8 qts that go on the shelf for the next starter. There is a little bit of hot break on the bottom but I don't use it in the starter.

Using DME is the simplest method to create the starter wort volume you need at the time.

Starter wort in volume to keep on hand needs to be pressure canned to avoid botulism spores from growing.

Squeezing the bag will not extract tannins.
Could someone get around this problem by adding some acid (to get the PH to a safe level) and canning? or by simply freezing the wort?

Could someone get around this problem by adding some acid (to get the PH to a safe level) and canning? or by simply freezing the wort?

You can freeze it- and then bring it to a boil before using after it thaws. I’ve done that when I’ve had a ton of leftover wort from a big grain bill. The thing is, unless you happen to have lots of wort leftover after a brew day, it’s just easier to use DME and bring that to a boil to make the starter.

You can freeze it- and then bring it to a boil before using after it thaws. I’ve done that when I’ve had a ton of leftover wort from a big grain bill. The thing is, unless you happen to have lots of wort leftover after a brew day, it’s just easier to use DME and bring that to a boil to make the starter.
I also use DME if I have it on hand but I guess brewers like a canned ready made product at hand so it saves time the day a starter needs to be made

Latest posts

Back