Yeast starter calc...some problema about inoculation rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danicomix

Reaction score
Good morning guys!
Question about a starter: I would like to make a wlp 590 french season starter! I saw on the yeastman website that, based on the batch number, the viability would be around 93%! I'm quite conservative so I used 80% for the calculations!
The recipe is for a grisette with OG 1.034. I attach the Brewfather screens relating to the calculation.
I hypothesized a 0.8lt starter with an overpitch of around 50% but the inoculation rate of 150 billons Cell/ml scares me a bit which from what I have read should be under 100 billons Cell/ml but to get it there I have to do a starter of more than 1 LT with very high overpitch How do you behave? Have you hit any highly?
The other idea was to inoculate directly without starter assuming a viability of 93% but I would still be under 8 billion cells. Thanks for the tips

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-04-14-09-38-09-869_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-14-09-38-09-869_com.android.chrome.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2024-04-14-09-37-32-096_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-14-09-37-32-096_com.android.chrome.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 0
Overpitch is likely to do nothing but let you reach FG faster. I'd be more worried about underpitch.

I don't use starters. Some others that use liquid yeast and do make starters will be along soon. I only use dry.

But with pitch calculators there is a lot of assumption about how many cells you are even beginning with in a pack or so many grams of yeast.

I usually will go to several different ones and also the pitch calculators or resources of the yeasts maker whenever I'm concerned. And weigh heavily on what the yeast maker says.

If that pack of yeast is healthy, was never overheated or frozen or otherwise damaged during storage and transport, you should be able to pitch that pack as is in 1.034 wort. Especially it being a PurePitch pack.

Is this pack a narrow sleeve (PurePitch Gen 1) or one of those newer (Gen 2) packs, that mimic a flat bottle with a little screw lid in it.

Now... making a starter will prove viability, increases vitality, while growing new healthy cells.

Making a starter will also allow you to overbuild it, so you can save some out for future use. This is very wise given the price of liquid yeast nowadays, and the hassle (and cost) of shipping.

Mind, inoculation rates are in million cells per ml of wort.

BTW, I always use this (free) yeast pitch calculator with great success:
https://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php

If that pack of yeast is healthy, was never overheated or frozen or otherwise damaged during storage and transport, you should be able to pitch that pack as is in 1.034 wort. Especially it being a PurePitch pack.

Is this pack a narrow sleeve (PurePitch Gen 1) or one of those newer (Gen 2) packs, that mimic a flat bottle with a little screw lid in it.

Now... making a starter will prove viability, increases vitality, while growing new healthy cells.

Making a starter will also allow you to overbuild it, so you can save some out for future use. This is very wise given the price of liquid yeast nowadays, and the hassle (and cost) of shipping.

Mind, inoculation rates are in million cells per ml of wort.

BTW, I always use this (free) yeast pitch calculator with great success:
https://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php
Ok thanks! I use too brewunited and also brewunited tell me that i'm in under about of 8 billion cells so i was thinking to do a starter...but If i do a starter of 0,8lt for obtain a 50% of overpitch i have an inoculation rate of 150 billion Cell/ml that exceeded the 100 billion Cell/ml suggested from the software

Seems like a very low gravity paired with relatively fresh makes this a nonissue. Started or no starter, I think you’ll yield undistinguishable results. That said, I’m a pretty relaxed brewer who uses mostly dry yeast.

but If i do a starter of 0,8lt for obtain a 50% of overpitch [...]
If you decide to make a (~1 liter) starter, put that 50% extra in a mason jar in the fridge. It will keep for a year or longer and you can make a new starter from that. And so on.

i have an inoculation rate of 150 billion Cell/ml that exceeded the 100 billion Cell/ml suggested from the software
(my emphasis^)
million... ;)

Back