My Electric Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to add a whirlpool port.

I have a question maybe you can answer about this.

I want to use one of the whirlpool ports as my inlet when i transfer the wort from the MLT to the BK. would you think one of those little tan pumps would be able to fill the BK from the bottom up? Thats where I want to put the whirlpool ports. Just not sure if those little pumps can push up through that liquid. In my mind that shouldn't be any different that pumping to the top of the liquid level tho??

Have you already added the whirlpool port?

If not, put it towards the top of your kettle & buy a whirlpool arm from SS Brewing. They are fairly inexpensive if I recall.

You won't have to deal with head pressure if you return from your MLT to BK that way...

Have you already added the whirlpool port?

If not, put it towards the top of your kettle & buy a whirlpool arm from SS Brewing. They are fairly inexpensive if I recall.

You won't have to deal with head pressure if you return from your MLT to BK that way...

I havent installed it yet

Thats what i initially wanted to do, but then i started worrying about hot side aeration when transferring from MLT to BK...

Any way to avoid that problem? or is it something i need not worry about

I havent installed it yet

Thats what i initially wanted to do, but then i started worrying about hot side aeration when transferring from MLT to BK...

Any way to avoid that problem? or is it something i need not worry about

I can't prove it but I think all of the hot side aeration stuff is more hot air than reality...

Besides. When you are transferring from your MLT, it isn't going to be moving that fast anyway..

And when whirlpooling, the arm will be returning it below the surface.

I wouldn't worry about that at all.

I can't prove it but I think all of the hot side aeration stuff is more hot air than reality...

Besides. When you are transferring from your MLT, it isn't going to be moving that fast anyway..

And when whirlpooling, the arm will be returning it below the surface.

I wouldn't worry about that at all.

this is true. specially with the little pumps im going to be using, shouldnt be moving too fast...

why not buy more fans when i've already got the 12v ones. oh well, ive got 2 of everything so far it seems like! I'm gonna have one hell of a selling list once my build is over

I ended up buying some 40A SSRs to replace the 25A ones as you suggested. Shoulda done that in the first place!

So say im running 2-24v tan pumps and the 2 fans at once. Say the tan pumps are 1.5A and the fans are .5A each. 4A power supply would be enough then right?

I use a 12v fan off of my 24v supply... I bought a $2 voltage buck board which takes the 24v dc and converts it to 12v.... works well ...
like this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3A-Adjustab...176?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a42d1a18
they also sell fancy ones with digital voltage meters for $4...

to my understanding the 24v tan pumps draw about 1 amp... where did the 1.4-1.5 amp rating come from? maybe I missed it?

I use a 12v fan off of my 24v supply... I bought a $2 voltage buck board which takes the 24v dc and converts it to 12v.... works well ...
like this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3A-Adjustab...176?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a42d1a18
they also sell fancy ones with digital voltage meters for $4...

to my understanding the 24v tan pumps draw about 1 amp... where did the 1.4-1.5 amp rating come from? maybe I missed it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12v-24v-...445?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item541cae7a25

this is what i have been looking at

is this the same as what you use?

no... the ones I use are similiar but have the 1/2" threads on them so I can use my stainless camlock fitting to connect and disconnect them...

Augie, I need your assistance.

I am trying to attach my power wires from my brew kettle heating element to those aviation plugs. I bought the 30 amp ones, but I can't fit 10 awg wire in the pins. I was going to solder the wires into the hollow part of the pins, but I can't fit the wires in :(

Am I missing something here?

Man its been a super long time since I've updated this with any real information!

It's been a slow process since I am trying to do this on a tight budget, but I now have done what I am calling "Phase 1".

Phase 1 includes the control panel that will control a boil kettle essentially.
Phase 2 will be in the future, and will be adding the HLT to the equation.
Phase 3 will be probably the most expensive part I'm thinking. I am planning for phase 3 to be the HERMs phase. I will be getting a custom stainless coil made that will double as a HERMS coil and a Chiller, and will be able to be moved from the HLT to the BK. Phase 3 will also include all of the pumps, hoses, and fittings that I will need to do all pumped transfers instead of the gravity that I will be using until this stage. I plan to add whirlpooling to both the HLT and the BK. The mash will be recirculated from my round cooler through the HERMs coil and back into the cooler.

Anyways, progress update portion.

I have my control panel all wired up, and is able to control the boil kettle element. I have also installed most of the necessary parts for the HLT side of the panel once I decided to buy the rest of the parts on the HLT kettle side of things (i.e. element, wiring, etc). I even have most of the control panel wired up for the HLT, so basically it will be just plugging in the HLT and good to go!

I just realized I have ZERO pictures of this! I'm terrible! I will get some pictures and add another post I think!! Yes pictures would be very helpful I'm deciding.

I have not brewed on my new setup yet, which is very sad. I need to find a entire free day to do this, since I want to make sure if any problems arise on its maiden voyage, i have the time to complete the brew still.

I have tested the setup with some water in the kettle and ran the autotuning procedures. I am slightly disappointed with the height at which I put my element in the BK. It is high enough where it needs just under 5 gallons of water to cover the element. Shouldn't really be an issue when boiling either 5 or 10 gallon batches, but I will be using this for strike water too, so I will need to make sure to keep the water level above the element, even if I only need a couple gallons for mash out. Not a huge deal, and I am stuck with it since I also punched the hole in my HLT for the element. Oh well.

I also am thinking about working on the wiring inside my control panel a little bit too. When i close the cover to the control panel, i think the PID pushes on the wires a little bit inside. Not very much, but I worry that between opening and closing the cover over many years the wires may start to wear. So I better just take care of this now I am thinking.

I'm kind of just rambling, and there are no pictures, so I doubt anyone is reading this anyhow ha. I will make sure the next post has pics.

I just realized I have ZERO pictures of this! I'm terrible! I will get some pictures and add another post I think!! Yes pictures would be very helpful I'm deciding.

Yup, you are super bad at this !
1 .It did not happen - unless you have pictures of it !
2. We all love to see pictures of the BLING, so be sure to clean the SS, before you take pics

:D

S

I one day spent about 3 hours buffing my keggle. Barely made a difference and that was super crappy to do. I have a love-hate relationship with bling...

Yup, you are super bad at this !
1 .It did not happen - unless you have pictures of it !
2. We all love to see pictures of the BLING, so be sure to clean the SS, before you take pics

:D

S

Back