Make IPA Clear Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for my personal drinking tastes, I have a nifty export stout, a marzen, a Dortmunder, and a pale ale on tap right now. They all taste like beer to me, and they make me happy when I drink them - PLUS I can drink them all straight without the mandatory side of pretentious snideness that seems to come with the "delectable juicy hop bombs

If anything sounds pretentious, it's this. Just saying.

I find it strange that all of the over the top beer traditionalists have such a fear/insecurity/hatred of NEIPAs. It's just beer, again....hear me...it's just beer. If you don't like it just leave it alone and let those who enjoy it enjoy it.

Kick back, have a nifty export stout, marzen, dortmunder, or whatever you like. We'll continue drinking our disgusting glasses full of yeast and sludge.

And continue calling it an IPA.

I find it strange that all of the over the top beer traditionalists have such a fear/insecurity/hatred of NEIPAs. It's just beer, again....hear me...it's just beer. If you don't like it just leave it alone and let those who enjoy it enjoy it.

Kick back, have a nifty export stout, marzen, dortmunder, or whatever you like. We'll continue drinking our disgusting glasses full of yeast and sludge.

Hear hear!

I don't know why the assumption is that if you like NEIPAs you don't like anything else and have no taste. Currently in my kegerator I have a semi-hazy IPA (NEIPA I guess?) that's almost kicked, a Marzen that is progressing along really nicely (probably about 2-3 weeks and it will be just perfect), a German Pils (that will be crystal frickin clear I promise lol) and I just racked a 2nd IPA (this one with rye) that should be a nice combo punch of bitter and fruit...oh and this weekend I'm brewing a French saison.

Too bad I'm a hipster ****** who only likes poopy yeast sludge, I guess I won't be able to enjoy any of them :(

Wildly entertaining!
It's been awhile since I've seen one of these, "If you don't like what I drink you're stupid" threads.
Then the disparaging stereotypes of those that drink said offending beer just sprinkles kerosene on the fire.
Here's a message from Captain Obvious - you don't have to drink, look at, read about, or brew, any beer that offends you. ;)

Folks... I never intended this to be a feud. Nor am I suggesting that there's anything wrong with what folks drink or sterotyping.

I am really just miffed by the proliferation of the beers formerly known as "NEIPA" and even more confused about the alignment with IPA at all. Its a completely different beer IMO and nowhere close to any other IPA style variant.

I guess I have the Brewers Association to thank for this and maybe I should submit my objections to them along with a request for a retraction and re-classification! :p

I've never had a NEIPA, but this thread has made me want to try brewing one to expand my experience, and possibly expand my tastes in beer. Can anyone recommend a recipe?

I hope people aren't taking all this too seriously since it's been pretty entertaining up until recently and I've enjoyed reading the posts.

Not at all, I've enjoyed the ripping on each other back and forth, I don't think any of it was mean spirited, certainly that wasn't my intention on my side, just breakin balls.

I am really just miffed by the proliferation of the beers formerly known as "NEIPA"

That I can agree with, it's frustrating when you goto a brewpub and they have those as half their menu.

I've never had a NEIPA, but this thread has made me want to try brewing one to expand my experience, and possibly expand my tastes in beer. Can anyone recommend a recipe?
The idea more or less is around 12 plus ounces of hops per 5g. Most of them after the boil. That's one reason why I like to buy them. They don't work as well with the way I buy bulk. There is a treehouse thread that can get you started. Lots of experimentings, single double and triple dry hops as well as whirlpools and hop rockets. It's a cool art in beer making and a good tip is to plan for racking adjustments by filtering somehow to mitigate the extra hop material.

This recipe from byo seems like a very good place to start. 1.5 oz boiled 4.5 oz hop stand and 6 dry hopped. Wheat and oat as normal contributing to the mouth feel and turbidity of this style. That sludge, muck, yeast pop, factor is in actual fact wheat and oats.

https://byo.com/article/neipa-style-profile/

Last edited:
I doubt that if the "ipa" was dropped from "neipa" that would make "normal" ipas popular again. People aren't brewing ipas as frequently anymore because more people enjoy hoppy flavor rather than the bitter bombs like in the past. It's that simple. Cheers

People aren't brewing ipas as frequently anymore because more people enjoy hoppy flavor rather than the bitter bombs like in the past. It's that simple.

I actually prefer a solid bitterness that's blended with good flavor and big aroma... And this in a beer that I can see through and doesn't remind me of Orange Juice! If there is no bitterness, it isn't an IPA.

Wasn’t a black IPA “misclasified” according to being able to see through it until it got its own subclass in the 2015 BJCP style?

If anything sounds pretentious, it's this. Just saying.

And continue calling it an IPA.
WHEWWW! I was worried that it had not come across as pretentious enough (And cynical too - I was shooting for cynical too!) One question though; Do all ya'll hyper sensitive types only read the parts of the posts you feel will outrage you the most or do you read the whole thing? I just ask because i made it pretty clear this was all in tongue-in-cheek sarcastic fun. trying to lighten up all the crabbiness that now dominates this once fun site! Oh Well. Everyone around here sure gets their panties in a bunch when they think their trend has been disparaged - and THAT is for sure!@!!! Ya'll try and play nice in the sand box, I got a sixer of Hazy little thing getting cold, and some nice Ahi steaks to get grilling. Peace out.

WHEWWW! I was worried that it had not come across as pretentious enough (And cynical too - I was shooting for cynical too!) One question though; Do all ya'll hyper sensitive types only read the parts of the posts you feel will outrage you the most or do you read the whole thing? I just ask because i made it pretty clear this was all in tongue-in-cheek sarcastic fun. trying to lighten up all the crabbiness that now dominates this once fun site! Oh Well. Everyone around here sure gets their panties in a bunch when they think their trend has been disparaged - and THAT is for sure!@!!! Ya'll try and play nice in the sand box, I got a sixer of Hazy little thing getting cold, and some nice Ahi steaks to get grilling. Peace out.

RQni9EG.jpg

I actually prefer a solid bitterness that's blended with good flavor and big aroma... And this in a beer that I can see through and doesn't remind me of Orange Juice! If there is no bitterness, it isn't an IPA.
Yup and as I said currently it's looking like your in the minority hence the reasons you can't find a ipa you like on taps and started the thread. Cheers

What are some of your favorite clear ipas? Here are a few. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong about turbidity.

Lawson sip
Odells ipa
Odells mercenary
Alpha centauri
Original nb ranger
La Cumbre elevated ipa
Break side brewery ipa
Fresh squeezed ipa
Sam Adam's rebel ipa
Lagunitas ipa
Goose island ipa
Racer 5
Stone ipa
Firestone Walker union jack
Modus hoperandi
Pizza port swarmi

Damn, now I'm thirsty[emoji3]

Wasn’t a black IPA “misclasified” according to being able to see through it until it got its own subclass in the 2015 BJCP style?

Yes it was as I found out the hard way. Pre-2015 when Black IPAs had first emerged, I entered local brew contest which had only three or four styles of entries, of which IPA was one. I tried to be too cute by half and brewed a Black IPA.

It won rave review from the judges, but was D.Q.'d from the contest because it didn't meet style guidelines.

Brooo Brother

Do all ya'll hyper sensitive types only read the parts of the posts you feel will outrage you the most or do you read the whole thing?

Thanks for pointing this out. I really don't think people realize how close minded they are sometimes. It's a terrible way to live your life!

I do enjoy the debate threads here on HBT. There have been a few that have pissed me off, but of course we can just unsubscribe from them. The camaraderie of this forum is really the best place I know on the internet.

I absolutely agree that if people like NEIPA and want to drink it, and brewers want to make it. That is a success. I am more in the west coast IPA camp. I've yet to have a hazy that I've enjoyed. I am a little sad that NEIPA has crowded out some of the menu space formerly filled with the IPA formerly known as "IPA", but if that is what the market wants, then so be it.

I for one am fully in support of the original poster's suggestion. I don't drink out all that much, but when I do get a chance I like to try new beers. Labeling of hazy beers would be very helpful. I often find myself asking the waiter if a beer is clear or not, they tend to look at me dumbfounded by even the question. To gunhaus's point, please read my post and see that I'm not against NEIPA, I just want people to differentiate. Heck, if you want to take "IPA" to mean hazy, go right ahead. Just give me a way to differentiate a west coast style IPA so I can drink my beer in peace! WCIPA!

In reading some of your guys' post I'm not sure if I've had a "real" IPA . I think the most IBU I had in a beer was 70ish. Some of you talk about 100 ibu . Not sure how much I'd like that . Anyhow I will try any beer . If I dont like it then I go to the next one .

What are some of your favorite clear ipas? Here are a few. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong about turbidity.

Lawson sip
Odells ipa
Odells mercenary
Alpha centauri
Original nb ranger
La Cumbre elevated ipa
Break side brewery ipa
Fresh squeezed ipa
Sam Adam's rebel ipa
Lagunitas ipa
Goose island ipa
Racer 5
Stone ipa
Firestone Walker union jack
Modus hoperandi
Pizza port swarmi

Damn, now I'm thirsty[emoji3]
Never had Russian River Pliny nor Dog Fish Head 90min apple? Oh, Off topic, buddy of mine just said he's got tickets to the Austin tournament this week..lucky bum!

I just want to drink a good tasting beer...whatever that is at the time, hazy or not. But I've had poor examples of both. So there you have it.

Believe the object was to brew a 5%er that felt like a 8% with a **** faak ton of hops. So wheat/oats were used to produce the mouthfeel. Haze was an after effect. Also, if I recall correctly, the suspendended proteins aid in the hop oil extraction. This was determined AFTER the style came around.

I started using White Wheat in my Pliney clones 4 years ago and liked the result. And technically Pliney is out of style for an 'Imperial IPA' so had nothing to fear!

Last edited:
Lawson sip
See this is what I'm talking about. Sip is one of the original VTIPA's. To me this is what a NEIPA should look like! This, Heady, Second Fiddle, Hill's. Other brewers have bastardized what this beer was and should be!

I have not read the whole thread, but I vote for clear IPAs!

Recently in Boston I had some IPAs from the menu (had not heard of any of them, and 3 of the 4 were cloudy). They tasted decent, but if I had known they were cloudy I would probably not have ordered them. Create a new category/name so that the consumer knows what they are ordering.

If I could drink a different beer every time I had one I think I would. The fact that it is possible to do this is kind of amazing. The only thing I have against NEIPA is that there is so much of it around. I’d rather see more obscure styles around like biere de garde, doppelbock or abbaye.

Honestly, I’m not a huge NEIPA guy either. But I’m ok with it cause I think it’s good for craft beer to have something new. Craft beer has been in a state on stagnation for the last 5 or so years. It’s nice to see some innovation. I feel like the craft beer market has been completely saturated with west coast IPA’s for a long time. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but there’s soooo many other styles that only us hardcore beer geeks are familiar with.

I'm in the group who prefers clarity over hazy. I get the NEIPA craze and I like them. I brew them and seek them out when I'm at breweries, bars or restaurant's. But I do like a clear beer more than anything. Not so much the West Coast IPA's (hop bombs).
Will be brewing an IPA using OYL052 with citra/azacca/el dorado. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

I think its the combination of extreme cloudiness and lack of bitterness that really make me question most NEIPA's as being an IPA.

So far I've had only one (Everybody's doing it) that had the full hop character spectrum that I'd say matched the IPA style. If I did a blind taste, I'd have thought "WOW, what a great IPA". The visual aspect of these beers is just not desirable in general. Someone else posted about how you eat with your eyes. I think there is truth to this in human nature. Why consume something that's visually unappealing? Seems to be a natural aversion.

There are probably others out there like the one example I've had that did strike me as an IPA that just had very poor clarity. But the cloudy nature of the beer and the probability that its a glass of juice with no IPA bitterness make me unlikely to find them.

Someone else posted about how you eat with your eyes. I think there is truth to this in human nature. Why consume something that's visually unappealing? Seems to be a natural aversion.

Absolutely, and I agreed with him on that 100%. But at the same time, how it TASTES is wayyyyy more important than how it looks....like 10 or 20 to 1 easil. I gave the example of BBQ...the best places to get killer BBQ are not 5 star restaurants with black tie service and white tablecloths where the food is served deconstructed haute cuisine style with shaved truffles and seared foie gras on top. No no no, the best BBQ joints are hole in the wall shacks where bubba just piles your meat and sides on a paper plate with plastic cutlery and the sweet tea is diabetes inducingly sweet. I don't give a feck what it looks like if it tastes that good.

:off: Not sure either of those claim to be NEIPA...
Yes, I see that psuedo sue is apa not neipa, that said not sure that would fit pale ale category in your mind, it drinks like a neipa. Your response seems a bit strong, no?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back