Make IPA Clear Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I absolutely love the massive juice bombs. That said, I’ve had very few commercial examples — almost all homebrewed. I get that it might not be to everyone’s taste, but this is exactly what I have always wanted hoppy beers to taste like. I don’t really care if they’re clear or hazy or murky, as long as I get that insanely appealing aroma and flavor.

You probably should read what OP wrote first before replying, it kind of invalidates your whole argument. I was responding to his comments saying that they should not even have any part of the IPA designation, specifically:

and

Maybe dial back from a rolling boil to a simmer?

I read it. All of it.

I get that OP doesn’t want IPA associated with the hazy stuff. I read that. And I understand it.

What I was responding to was your use of five bock subs as a means of educating the OP on how true diversity in sub categories can exist while still remaining true to the larger category. I believe that you were trying to convince OP that there was room for Hazy IPA in the overall IPA category - much like Helles and Dopplebock are different but still “Bock.” If I misunderstood, please clarify.

I was suggesting that this isn’t descriptive enough and that we can do better. If I didn’t make my point with enough clarity, I can only blame the fact that I was typing on the train after a long day with my kids in NYC.

What I was responding to was your use of five bock subs as a means of educating the OP on how true diversity in sub categories can exist while still remaining true to the larger category. I believe that you were trying to convince OP that there was room for Hazy IPA in the overall IPA category - much like Helles and Dopplebock are different but still “Bock.” If I misunderstood, please clarify.

Nope you got it...but you musta mised this part though:

If you want to argue that the fruity/hazy type should be it's own subset of IPAs then you'll get no argument from me but to suggest they're somehow not part of the IPA category is silly IMO.

I have no issues with qualifying the 'type' of IPA it is but to suggest it is not part of the overall style is just absurd IMO. I don't think personal taste is a valid reason for excluding a beer from it's category. Hell, I can't stand all these heavily flavored stouts that taste like chocolate milkshakes or a Starbucks mocha-nilla-frappachino but I'm not going to try to argue that they're not stouts.

Aren't we all homebrewers here? Why do we care what the hipsters are drinking this week? We can make the beers we like and drink them happily, while watching the dazed and confused juice-bomb-of-the-week crowd run madly off in all directions, searching for the Next Big Thing.

Brew what you like, drink what you brew. Problem solved.

So what I've gotten from this thread is that:
1: Any beer that anyone likes is a great beer.
2: That Americans have taken a traditionally British style of beer and perverted it to the point that it bears no resemblance to the original.
3: Anything Americans brew can be called an IPA if only because it's appeals to the man bun, skinny jean wearing hipsters with their permanent boutique two day growth beards who think it's really cool to say "I drink IPAs" , or because the brewers weren't able to come up with original names for the style of their brews that they thought millennials could easily spell.

In case it isn't obvious, this is sarcasm...

The haze in this particular venture comes from the dry hops and the 1lb of wheat I added to the bill. So according to the haters, is this not an IPA?

So did you brew a White IPA or a NEIPA? Either way, I'd say that the degree of haze is beyond what should be considered a flaw for an IPA. Haze from a large dry hop really shouldnt cloud a beer to that extent. Pliny the Elder is massively dry hoped yet maintains clarity.

White IPA's by name haven't really taken over taps and shelves like NEIPA. If they had, perhaps that style would be included in this thread too. Adding a little wheat for mouthfeel is one thing but adding so much that affects clarity? Doesn't that much of a change in the grist start looking like a different beer altogether?

If all you have to do is have a lot of hops in a recipe to make it an IPA then is a Hoppy Brown Ale really a Brown IPA? Should a highly hopped Imperial Stout be a Stout IPA?

I don’t want to live in a world that doesn’t have NEIPAs in it.
That being said, this is fun thread to follow. I so don’t give a crap that IPA is in the name NEIPA

What do you think of this one?
20190321_193811.jpeg

Munich Helles
Oktoberfest
Scottish Wee Heavy

Malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt maltmalt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt malt

And maybe a small bittering addition.

I'm from Fort Collins Colorado as everybody knows. I have been drinking craft beers for 25 years of my 43. That there is one of the best beers I've ever had in my life and I think they are one of the better breweries in the world. I know I was hesitant try it at 1st . Almost sounds disgusting. But they balanced it so nicely and it is so good. They only had a few of them and I called and asked them to hold 1 after 1st sip. I couldn't believe 3 weeks later they were holding it for me. I split it with the guy who works there because he wanted to try it. I also left with juicy bits your beloved New England IPA. So yeah a super juicy IPA and a neopolitan ice cream sour. If I had more time and money I might have grabbed a barrel aged stout while I was at it. The great Count Basie said it's either good or bad. That's how I see it.

I am super curious now, please tell me some IPAs That you do like, Those of you who are so adamant About these juicy beers. I think I could probably help you find some that you like, swarmi from pizza port San Diego comes to mind.

So did you brew a White IPA or a NEIPA?

So you're calling what I brewed an IPA...just a horribly flawed one? :p

I'm not calling it either really, I'm just calling it the 'current IPA' in the house. I think that within any given style you need the flexibility to move around and try different tweaks to see what it does to the end product. That's why I brewed this one and why the next one I just kegged is a variation on the theme (replaced wheat with rye, slightly different hops and a different yeast strain (Notty instead of US-04). Where's the fun in homebrewing if you can't play around within a given style?

Adding a little wheat for mouthfeel is one thing but adding so much that affects clarity? Doesn't that much of a change in the grist start looking like a different beer altogether?

So what would you say the appropriate amount is for a 5 gal batch? Are you proposing limits on the grist like with whisky? For example bourbon by definition must be at least 51% corn.

Where's the fun in homebrewing if you can't play around within a given style?

All brewers can play around and brew whatever and however they want. I'm not in contention with creativity at all. What I'm in contention with is the erosion of a style definition.

Are you proposing limits on the grist like with whisky? For example bourbon by definition must be at least 51% corn.

Well, isn't this pretty much how styles are defined in the first place? Without some rails on a style guideline, why have them at all? We can settle this by just calling it all beer. Then the defining factor would be pure creativity in whatever catchy name or marketing approach was devised. This seems to work for Lagunitas.. But if they slap "IPA" on the label, it matches the IPA style!

Last edited:
I recently read a study that says the excessive consumption of NEIPA can cause ones nose, and the pinky finger of the drinking hand, to point permanently upward, is directly related to excessive growth of man buns and neck beards, and may cause the uncontrolled impulse to wear wool stocking caps in the summer. Dangerous stuff if you ask me! I'll stick to beer flavored beer just to be safe. :no:

How is barley, hops, water, and yeast not "Beer flavored beer"?
Must be magic, because when you put it together into an NEIPA it ceases to taste like beer! I mean the NEIPA FANS are the ones referring to it as anything/everything but beer flavored - so don't blame me!!! Besides, i am not avoiding drinking it because it tastes like crap - I am avoiding it to keep from catching all those other things!!!!:eek:

The hilarious part in this thread is all the dumb comments about how hipsters are somehow ruining beer just because of a new variation on the style got popular. But the very act of saying "I liked IPAs before they became NEIPAs blah blah blah" is PRECISELY what a hipster would say. :D

I suspect we have a whole pack of closet hipsters here who sit at home alone at night in front of the mirror, sipping their crystal clear hop bomb of an IPA and combing their hair up into a bun, wishing they could run free to Williamsburg and join their brethren but sadly it can never be :(

Maybe dial back from a rolling boil to a simmer?

I read it. All of it.

I get that OP doesn’t want IPA associated with the hazy stuff. I read that. And I understand it.

I was suggesting that this isn’t descriptive enough and that we can do better. If I didn’t make my point with enough clarity, I can only blame the fact that I was typing on the train after a long day with my kids in NYC.

Here's a no-boil NEIPA using Omega OYL-501 Gulo yeast:

No Boil Gulo ale.jpg

I actually like NEIPAs, but i wish they didn't push west coast IPAs out of existence. Locally (NJ) literally every brewery has half or more of their taplist made up of new englands and almost never do i see a regular american IPA. That is what annoys me. Also, they all are putting out 2-3 new NEIPAs a week. I'm way over that

Must be magic, because when you put it together into an NEIPA it ceases to taste like beer! I mean the NEIPA FANS are the ones referring to it as anything/everything but beer flavored - so don't blame me!!! Besides, i am not avoiding drinking it because it tastes like crap - I am avoiding it to keep from catching all those other things!!!!:eek:
Oh really, Please enlighten us all on what beer flavored beer tastes like. I have recently drank some bit Burger and I can tell you what I think it tastes like. I knew it the 2nd I opened it. It tastes exactly like you took a Milwaukee's best and left it in the Sun for 3 months in the back of a car. I can't blame you, drinking skunk pee like that all day, does indeed give you the right to be righteous.

This is a train wreck, I suggest looking away and attempting not to engage

It's almost as if breweries and brewpubs are responding to market demand? Or there is a cabal of hipsters pulling the strings. Or NEIPA has a wider appeal than the "hipster" base.

No problem with hipsters here and my hair is to short for a man bun. But even when it was long enough to reach the middle of my back I never thought of putting it into a bun.

I just want to MAKE IPA CLEAR AGAIN!

Real men drinks 100+ IBU WC IPAs.

Hipster males are effeminate. They can only handle the more docile NEIPA.

Breweries are making what people are buying. If there were more tough guys out there drinking WC IPAs all the time that style would be more prevalent. The root cause of the problem is too many girly men.

Real men drinks 100+ IBU WC IPAs.

Hipster males are effeminate. They can only handle the more docile NEIPA.

Breweries are making what people are buying. If there were more tough guys out there drinking WC IPAs all the time that style would be more prevalent. The root cause of the problem is too many girly men.

In my experience, REAL men don't ever boast about being real men because they're not insecure and overcompensating for their inadequacies. They just go about their life and lead by example.

Oh really, Please enlighten us all on what beer flavored beer tastes like. I have recently drank some bit Burger and I can tell you what I think it tastes like. I knew it the 2nd I opened it. It tastes exactly like you took a Milwaukee's best and left it in the Sun for 3 months in the back of a car. I can't blame you, drinking skunk pee like that all day, does indeed give you the right to be righteous.

GLADLY!!! Beer flavored beer tastes like beer. Not grapefruit or orange or mango juice, not fruity pebbles, and not Neapolitan ice cream. Just beer. I don't know anything about Milwaukee's Best, never had any. And I don't know about the burger flavored beer you mention - must be another hipster thing. Judging from your hostile attitude, you must have gotten a little dose of something skunky recently yourself!!!! As for righteousness . . . When you grow all the way up you hopefully will be able to tell the difference between that, and plain old light hearted sarcasm! HOPEFULLY. I was just bored with the bickering about how many fairies can dance on the head of a pin in this thread and tried to throw a little levity out there. It is clear it ricocheted right over your head - Probably got deflected by the juice bomb hop fumes!!!!! As for my personal drinking tastes, I have a nifty export stout, a marzen, a Dortmunder, and a pale ale on tap right now. They all taste like beer to me, and they make me happy when I drink them - PLUS I can drink them all straight without the mandatory side of pretentious snideness that seems to come with the "delectable juicy hop bombs".

Now since we are way off topic - I will cast my vote for make it clear again! You can go ahead and keep you New England Sludge-pop - It seems to cause WAY to many issues to be healthy!

Back