Lagering methods

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaisonMan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’d like to make lagers at some point. I’m curious what method people here use — freezer/refrigerator with a temperature control or fermenter setup that has a coil, pump, cooling source and temp control? What are the benefits/drawbacks of either? Is there a fermenter setup that won’t break the bank? On some of these fermenters, it seems like the heating/cooling accessories cost more than the fermenter itself.

I dealt with your situation about 6 months or so ago. I ended up going with a chest freezer. From everything I researched, it was the most economical way to go. In addition, I started kegging and use it as a keezer also. So, bonus on dual use.

I dealt with your situation about 6 months or so ago. I ended up going with a chest freezer. From everything I researched, it was the most economical way to go. In addition, I started kegging and use it as a keezer also. So, bonus on dual use.
That raises a question. I have a keezer that currently has three kegs in it. Is it possible to ferment a lager in the keezer at a higher temperature AND still serve the beer that's on tap?
I serve at 38 degrees. I guess that would mean jacking up the temp to 45-50 to ferment.

I lager two ways...with a mini-fridge pumping glycol to a cooling jacket in the winter (see the Cool Zone system at Gotta-Brew.com), an extra fridge to lager in the warmer months when the mini-fridge can't hold cold temps as well.

That raises a question. I have a keezer that currently has three kegs in it. Is it possible to ferment a lager in the keezer at a higher temperature AND still serve the beer that's on tap?
I serve at 38 degrees. I guess that would mean jacking up the temp to 45-50 to ferment.
Correct, if you want to use the Keezer for both fermentation and serving at the same time, you will have to be serving your beer at about 50 degrees. A little too warm for my tastes. At this time, I am only brewing 1 batch at a time, kegging it, and start enjoying. I try to time out my next batch so it is ready to ferment (at least when brewing a lager) when my current keg is about to kick. I only paid $219 for an Insignia 5 cu ft. Chest Freezer at Best Buy which is more than adequate for fermenting a 5 gallon batch. If you are using a stainless fermenter, you will more than likely have to build the 2x6 collar for the top of the freezer to gain some additional height to make it fit. But, that's only what, $15 to $20 at Home Depot for a couple 2x6's?

I've lagered at 45F before when I used an upright fridge(warmest setting I could get). It takes longer but works. Eventually I used my smaller keezer as fermentation chamber and built a bigger keezer to hold more kegs.

I use a side by side and the fridge side is my fermentation chamber and is mostly between 48* and 52*. So I have a heat mat and controller wrapped in 2 layers of refletx so i can do a stepped fermentation with any yeast. The awesome thing about this set up is I can do an ale on the top and a lager on the bottom at the same time.
So just insulate and set the controller to 50* then just shut it off when you want to cold crash and the insulation will make it a slow decline.

I use a side by side and the fridge side is my fermentation chamber and is mostly between 48* and 52*. So I have a heat mat and controller wrapped in 2 layers of refletx so i can do a stepped fermentation with any yeast. The awesome thing about this set up is I can do an ale on the top and a lager on the bottom at the same time.
So just insulate and set the controller to 50* then just shut it off when you want to cold crash and the insulation will make it a slow decline.
We have a second fridge in the basement, also a side-by-side. My wife has given the go-ahead to use the refrigerator side to ferment lagers at 45-50F. One problem: We still need the freezer side to store meat, etc. I’m assuming if I use an Inkbird, the freezer will also get to whatever temp the refrigerator is set at through the controller. Do I have that right? Anybody have a solution?

Anybody....how close will a lager recipe fermented with lager yeast at higher temperatures with a spunding valve get you to actual cold-fermented lagers?

Just set the fridge to highest setting and keep freezer side to normal otherwise the inkbird won't work for freezer side. Obviously you are not going to have complete temp control but should maintain ferm temp within 2+/- degrees I presume.

Just set the fridge to highest setting and keep freezer side to normal otherwise the inkbird won't work for freezer side. Obviously you are not going to have complete temp control but should maintain ferm temp within 2+/- degrees I presume.
I’m a bit confused. If I set the Inkbird to 50 for the refrigerator, wouldn’t the freezer get to the same temperature? Forgive my thickheadedness!

Yes, so the freezer would be the same temp and would not be conducive to what you want to achieve: two different temp zones. Just use the side by side without the inkbird. The temp won't be as controlled but will still produce a tasty lager nonetheless.

Last edited:
Yes, so the freezer would be the same temp and would not be conducive to what you want to achieve: two different temp zones. Just use the side by side without the inkbird. The temp won't be as controlled but will still produce a tasty lager nonetheless.
Thanks. I’m going to see if I can get it to 45 in the fridge. So far, it’s at 41, which is probably too low for fermentation. I assume. 🤔

That will work no question. It just a matter of how much money/equipment you want to invest. I started lagering in my garage during the winter on top of stairs and eventually moved up to side by side fridge, then to a dedicated chamber.

That will work no question. It just a matter of how much money/equipment you want to invest. I started lagering in my garage during the winter on top of stairs and eventually moved up to side by side fridge, then to a dedicated chamber.
I'm open to anything, but within reason, cost-wise. That's why I'm seeing if I can get the fridge to a decent temperature first. If I can't, maybe going the insulation/controller route is next. Anybody have a recommendation for that kind of set-up?

I'm open to anything, but within reason, cost-wise. That's why I'm seeing if I can get the fridge to a decent temperature first. If I can't, maybe going the insulation/controller route is next. Anybody have a recommendation for that kind of set-up?
I have this to ferment in. With enough frozen water bottles it can easily hold fermentation at around 50 degrees for lagers. It takes some dedication though since they need to be swapped out every 12 hours or so.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/c...gZ7GctxC1By935kcZko5i9DSk7wDCaAhoCAtoQAvD_BwE

Last edited:
If you, or someone you trust, groks household appliance wiring, the fridge thermostat can be disconnected from the factory circuit and controlled remotely by an external controller, which will allow the fridge to be maintained at temps outside the range of the factory thermostat.

In any reasonably modern fridge/freezer combo the freezer is where the evaporator coil (The Thing That Makes It Cold) is located. The fridge is cooled by directing cold air from the freezer to the fridge via a thermostatically controlled damper and fan which are activated when the fridge calls for cooling. For someone who knows what they’re doing, modifying the factory controls isn’t a complicated process. If you search through the lengthy “show us your kegerator” thread there are some discussions about this mod.

Looks like you'd also need a pump, and a bucket of ice water at the very least. I'd rather have the ease of the fermentation bag. Effective, and about as simple as it gets. But I also have a keezer I can ferment in when I want or need to.
Looks like it comes with a pump.

My setup uses a bank of Sanyo mini-refrigerators. Each has individual temp control.

LAGERING.PNG

Here's how I made my first lagers. Living in NY there are multiple months of outdoor lagering Temps. Instead of trying to cool beer in a warm house I heated beer in the great outdoors. I bought a new garbage pail, cut out two inch thick Styrofoam rounds to fit the bottom and top, lined the sides with reflectix, and attached a small heater to an 'inkbird' type temp controller. Worked great.

I use a reptile heating mat from Amazon for 12$ and an ST1000 for 14$ about 4-5 years ago. I have a Johnson control I got in 2012 that keeps the freezer side at 33* for lagering and the carry over into the fridge keeps it 55* on the top shelf and 48 on the bottom.

Correct, if you want to use the Keezer for both fermentation and serving at the same time, you will have to be serving your beer at about 50 degrees. A little too warm for my tastes.

You have given me an idea. I have a chest freezer with temp control that I ferment my lagers in (usually at 48-50F).

The ideal serving temp for English cask beer is in the low 50s. It seems like a good idea to brew an English bitter first and then you can serve it at the correct temp while also fermenting a lager.

Then you can lower the temp down to the upper 30s and serve an ice cold keg while lagering your lager.

You have given me an idea. I have a chest freezer with temp control that I ferment my lagers in (usually at 48-50F).

The ideal serving temp for English cask beer is in the low 50s. It seems like a good idea to brew an English bitter first and then you can serve it at the correct temp while also fermenting a lager.

Then you can lower the temp down to the upper 30s and serve an ice cold keg while lagering your lager.
I haven't fermented at lager temperatures but I do have a 4-keg keezer that I set to 37F degrees. The three floor kegs stay nice and cold, but the hump beer sits much warmer, maybe 50F degrees. So I always make sure to have a temperature and carb appropriate beer in that keg. Currently a Best Bitter, recently a Porter.

I haven't fermented at lager temperatures but I do have a 4-keg keezer that I set to 37F degrees. The three floor kegs stay nice and cold, but the hump beer sits much warmer, maybe 50F degrees. So I always make sure to have a temperature and carb appropriate beer in that keg. Currently a Best Bitter, recently a Porter.
Do you have an added computer type fan inside?

I have a mini fridge and a wine chiller that I use for fermenting lagers. They are directly controlled by Inkbird temperature controllers. I bought the fridges used and they weren't much at all. You just have to find the right size for your fermenters. Mine will fit 6.5 gallon carboys. The wine chiller can fit two ball lock kegs so I guess I could ferment a 9 gallon batch in the two. I am planning on trying some in keg fermenting at some point.

I’d like to make lagers at some point. I’m curious what method people here use — freezer/refrigerator with a temperature control or fermenter setup that has a coil, pump, cooling source and temp control? What are the benefits/drawbacks of either? Is there a fermenter setup that won’t break the bank? On some of these fermenters, it seems like the heating/cooling accessories cost more than the fermenter itself
if you can ferment under pressure the lagering isnt nearly as long. on the order of a week or two.

yes, you can ferment in the same chest freezer/keezer you are serving kegs out of if you use a heating wrap on your fermenter and then an insulating layer over the heat wrap so it doesnt put out too much heat into the box. not ideal, but you can get a 50ish ferment going in a box thats set for 39/40 serving temp pretty easily. but depending on what fermenter you're using you might need a big ass box. if you're willing to ferment in a corny its super easy. and if you're hung up on getting a full 5gal batch, morebeer sells a 6 gallon corny now so you can ferment in it and wind up with 5gals.

i've got a side x side fridge i fooled around with and now i've got ferment chamber on big side, and the freezer is still freezer. (hops mostly, fruit purees, dry yeasts, etc) have an x1 unitank that fits the fridge side, with a good amount of storage space left in that chamber.

Here's what I do and it's worked for over two years (year round and I live in Oklahoma). Buy a large garbage can, insulate the interior sides and top. Purchase a Cool Zone jacket at Gotta-Brew.com. I brew 10 gallon batches so I use a half barrel for by fermenter but 5 or 6 gallons will work as well. I have a six gallon plastic container with a 60% mix of glyco/water sitting in my freezer (you can use your keezer) I have an Inkbird controller for cold and heat. I ferment at 48, raise to 68 and then crash to 38 before transfering to serving kegs. You'll need a submersible pump for glycol, a chicken coop black lamp for heat and silicon hoses to run from keezer to jacket. I purchased the pump from Gotta-Brew and the lamp from Tractor supply.

So here’s where I’m at. Yesterday, I shut the refrigerator off, kept the freezer at a medium setting and left it overnight. The temperature this morning in the fridge was 55. That’s on the high end of what I want for lagering. I’ve set the freezer to its lowest setting to see if that makes a difference.

If that doesn’t work, I’m probably going to buy a heating jacket and a controller, set the fridge back to a normal setting and then heat the fermenter to 45-50. We’ll see what happens.

I’d like to make lagers at some point. I’m curious what method people here use — freezer/refrigerator with a temperature control or fermenter setup that has a coil, pump, cooling source and temp control? What are the benefits/drawbacks of either? Is there a fermenter setup that won’t break the bank? On some of these fermenters, it seems like the heating/cooling accessories cost more than the fermenter itself.
I ferment in an old refrigerator I bought for $50 used when I got married 31 yrs ago with a temp controller on it. 55°F Lagers, 65°F Ales.

Latest posts

Back