Krausen still present after 9 days... need to dry hop..ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

--Dom--

Reaction score
Went in the ferm Saturday nite 9 days ago. 1080 OG, pitched a 3 cup starter of Wyeast 1272. VIGOROUS fermentation followed. Now it's stopped bubbling as of Saturday 2 days ago, however there is still about a 1/4-1/2 of a viscous krausen. Seems like it's there to stay.... Now I need to dry-hop and I don't want to dump these hops right on top of the krausen. Ideas? Should I just take a spoon and stir the krausen back into the beer? Should I wait longer still? :confused:

Don't put faith in the bubbling. Check if it's still fermenting. If it's done and the krausen is just being stubborn then try cold-crashing it if you can. Otherwise maybe use a hop bag and weight it down with a marble or two so they don't just sit ontop of the krausen.

Or when you toss the hops in really chuck em in there :p

I'd either wait for it to drop or check gravity to confirm it's done fermenting if I'm pressed for time.

Some krausens just like to hang around. Unless you have some monster beer on your hand you're probably done active fermentation.

If you can, give the fermentor a little spin or a light rock once or twice. Often this is enough to shake whatever structures are still holding it up lose and allow it to start falling. Cold crashing would also help, but I'd only advise that if you're sure your at terminal gravity.

Back