Irish red or amber ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoozeMedic

Reaction score
If I'm missing where the recipes are I'll delete.

I'm trying to make a good Irish red or amber ale for a celiac friend. I want to avoid sorghum altogether-- haven't heard great things about it (essentially-- metallic/sour taste). I was hoping to find a good recipe made with millet, rice, and/or buckwheat. All grain or partial is totally fine.

Here's what I came up with on my own. Suggestions (or tried and true recipes) appreciated:

Pale millet malt 67.9%
Munich millet 9.3%
Crystal millet 25L 4.6%
Roasted buckwheat 6.2%
Millet, chocolate 2.3%
Oats, flaked 6.2%
Maltodextrin 1.5%
Belgian candi sugar L90 2.0%
Magnum @60
Fuggles @30
EKG @ 15
For what the 'Wort' app calculates to:
SG: 1.050
FG: 1013
ABV: 5%
Color: 12 SRM
IBU's: 24.8

Thoughts, recommendations?
Also, GF grain is stupid expensive.

Personally, i would skip the oats and maltodextrin. the maltodextrin is needed for sorghum syrup base, but not for all grain. with it you risk it being too “thick” tasting.

Use termamyl enzyme with a high gelatinization first rest and diatase or equivalent on the second long low rest and you can get away with 12 or 13 lb grain.

Personally, i would skip the oats and maltodextrin. the maltodextrin is needed for sorghum syrup base, but not for all grain. with it you risk it being too “thick” tasting.

Use termamyl enzyme with a high gelatinization first rest and diatase or equivalent on the second long low rest and you can get away with 12 or 13 lb grain.
Is there a basic rundown on how to do the step mash with enzymes?

Is there a basic rundown on how to do the step mash with enzymes?

Assuming 5 gal -

Mash in at 170-180 with 2 tbs of Termamyl. Rest for 15-30 mins to gelatinize.

Drop temp to your target saccharification temp from your recipe...(150-155?) and add 1 tsp of SEBAmyl L, or Diastase, or AMG-300L. (Assuming your buying grains from GFHB, it will be SEBAmyl L). Rest for 60-120 minutes. Time really just depends on your system and process. If you can do a starch test, that would be the best indicator, or keep taking refractometer readings until conversion completes.

After the mash, everything is normal. GL!

Any chance you (or anyone else who's feeling generous) could either here or in a PM spell out the steps for this brew? My father in law has only made the kits so far, and we are getting him the ingredients (and a Milller) for this so he can dive deeper into this hobby. I'm not sure if he's going to know specifically what to do with the limited instructions on that recipe.

Any chance you (or anyone else who's feeling generous) could either here or in a PM spell out the steps for this brew? My father in law has only made the kits so far, and we are getting him the ingredients (and a Milller) for this so he can dive deeper into this hobby. I'm not sure if he's going to know specifically what to do with the limited instructions on that recipe.

@Brewbilly Heres my notes from this brew session and tasting: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JleeBNM3OtrHu8UFx053Gb-Nqshr5WizAJ0JGYrGt1Q/edit?usp=sharing
I use a Mash and Boil with an overnight mash so obviously you will need to adjust for you (or your dad's) equipment. If he's doing a stovetop brew in a bag in a 5 gallon kettle I would definitely suggest reducing the grain bill to give you some room to mix.

Here's the instructions I followed for this brew:
0 Minutes
5 gallons @ 180 degrees
Add in 15 ml Tetra
Add in grains
Stir well

15 minutes
Add 1 gallon cold water
Reduce temp to 145 degrees
Add in 15 ml Bal 100 and 15 ml Amalyze
Stir well

120 Minutes or in morning (overnight mash)
Bring to 180 degrees for 15 minutes
Take out grains and sparge to desired amount (mine was 5.75 gal to accommodate boil off and kettle dead space and still end up with 5 gallons in the fermentor)

After that just follow the boil + hops schedule.

Note that you don't technically need all three enzymes (but you definitely need to use some enzymes), I use all three out of an abundance of caution and because it worked really well once and I've never wanted to change something that worked.

Feel free to post any questions or PM me and I'll help however I can.

Latest posts

Back