Help with recipe terms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of yeast did you use?

Did you rehydrate your yeast before pitching? If so, at what temp did you rehydrate?

At what wort temp did you pitch it?

Did you shake the fermenter after adding the yeast?

Have you seen any fermentation activity?
S-05 yeast. I pitched it and slowly mixed it to hydrate.
Wart was at 64F before adding more water. Didn’t test it after that. I didn’t shake it but it did move side to side when moving. I did take a gravity reading and it was exact to the recipe. No fermentation yet. But it’s just floating at the top.

S-05 yeast. I pitched it and slowly mixed it to hydrate.
Wart was at 64F before adding more water. Didn’t test it after that. I didn’t shake it but it did move side to side when moving. I did take a gravity reading and it was exact to the recipe. No fermentation yet. But it’s just floating at the top.
How long ago did you pitch? You might not see any fermentation for 12-24 hours in some cases. Especially since you are a little on the colder side of US 05s fermentation temps.

If the water you added was too hot, it could have killed the yeast.

If the yeast packet was old, it could be bad yeast.

If you pitched and did not shake the fermenter at all, it is going to sit right there in a puddle. When pitching dry yeast you should either rehyrdrate it before adding, or sprinkle it on top. Either way, unless you have a more sophisticated way to aerate your wort, you should shake the fermenter to aerate the wort and mix up the yeast. Don't be too aggressive though, or you will spill precious beer and/or upset the yeast.

If you don't see activity in 24hrs I would pitch more yeast,

Last edited:
Hahaha, yeah, shake the fermenter around for 2-5 minutes gently, and leave it alone. Check on it in the morning :) All will be well.

Most people that don't aerate will shake before adding the yeast...so you don't disturbed it as much. That is what I do.

It won't really make a difference. Just shake it a bit.

For your reassurance and so that you can come to your own conclusion:

Shake Wort after Pitching?

OP is either the most endearing soul or a total troll. I’m laughing trying to connect the abundance of far flung dots.

How did we go from not knowing any brewing terms or processes to having a batch in a fermenter in less than 2 days?
You guys helped me learn/ I guess I over thought it. As I said I hadn’t done a brew in the bag method yet so. But here’s my batch guys! Amber ale ! How’s it look?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
That looks delicious to me. Like I said, I have brewed this twice now (second batch is bottle conditioning right now) and it is in my top 3 beers I've ever tasted.

This looks about like how mine has looked, so I would say you're doing great. It is very easy to overthink until you have a few under your belt. Kudos for hopping into 5 gallon brews so quickly, and BIAB at that.

I just bought "the brew bag" and plan on making a stout and my first fruity beer this weekend. Please keep us posted on your progress and let us know if you need help. How to Brew will set your mind at ease and is free, but I have been in your shoes.

Oh yeah, and another poster said it before...but do not bother with transferring this beer to a secondary fermentation. I bottle this bad boy after about 3 weeks in primary, which should be plenty of time with a healthy fermentation.

Great job!

Back