Fermentation Lag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Collin Evans

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
So this will be my fourth time brewing my own beer. The past two times I was using about 4oz of hops and it was a little to hoppy for my liking. I went with 2oz (1oz for 60 mins and 1oz at 30 mins). The yeast took a little while to get going and I did not want to re-pitch so I kept shaking and it finally started today, and now I am wondering was the amount of hops I used that caused the lag or was it how I pitched it. I know on my end my water was a little cold that I submerge the carboy in too keep it level. Weather where I am at fluctuates so this is what I was taught to do to keep it the same temp. But maybe it was too cold and caused lag idk so I am asking for next time what would be ideal and any recommendations on yeast to use and any recipes you guys would recommend. I am honestly to proud to use a kit but not experienced enough to create the beer I like. Anyways appreciate the advice!

On a side not on my previous three attempts at making beer (all successful but tasted like an IPA...ew) my primary fermentation burped a lot and in doing so it spewed a lot of what I would describe as green hoppy looking stuff (not sure what it is) but this time around it is not. Again is due to the low amount of hops present in the wort.

Sorry last question, but what amount of hops would give me a solid ale or lager, and what would I need to do to create a regular ale, a red and a dark beer (I only use malt extract) is that something that comes from the malt?

Thanks for the help !

No kits here either, I design all my beers, it's one of my favorite parts of the obsession. When i need inspiration I go to the recipe section here to see whats up. Hops don't go by amount of pellets or cones but the AAU's. You need to know your utilization, I get mine from Palmer's book.

Welcome to HomeBrewTalk @Collin Evans !

From your general descriptions, it could be that you are attempting to ferment a five gallon batch in a five gallon container at about 63F using a slow starting strain (e.g. US-05, BRY-97).

I am honestly to proud too use a kit but not experienced enough to create the beer I like. Anyways appreciate the advice!
Brew some kits.

Get a copy of a good book on brewing (e.g. How to Brew, 4th edition).

For the craft beers that you enjoy, find recipes for the beer or the beer's style.

what would I need to do to create a regular ale, a red and a dark beer (I only use malt extract) is that something that comes from the malt?
Generally, specialty malts are used to add color and flavors.

This would be my advice to a new brewer:

1.) Read, read, read. The more you know the quicker & easier you are able execute what you know. After 10+ years of brewing, I still feel like I know more about brewing (grains, water chemistry, yeast, hops, pH, etc) than I have practical brewing experience.
2.) I was never into kits either. I think I did 2 and knew I wanted to do all grain on a 3 kettle system so got there as soon as I could afford to do so. Nothing wrong with kits, just depends how you eventually want to brew. I strongly recommend using proven recipes and attempt to make them great yourself. Decide on you favorite style, find a proven recipe of that style, then make it 5 times in a row and keep improving it. You'll learn a lot.
3.) Other than maybe sanitation, I feel fermentation temp control is one of the more important aspects of brewing. Look into that and implement it as soon as possible. Your brews will immediately get better.
4.) Yeast health is also very important. I believe strongly in making starters. I know many have success dumping dry yeast but it always bites me.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.

On the subject of lag: yes, low temperature will slow fermentation. A thermometer (and knowing the temp range of your chosen yeast) can help. The amount of yeast matters too. Best of luck as you explore and learn, @Collin Evans .

Latest posts

Back