Enough flavor from biscuit with just steeping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reed1911

Reaction score
So here is my issue, planning a fat tire clone and I really want to nail the biscuit flavor. Since it is an unconverted grain will I get enough flavor from it to get what I want or do I really need to bit the bullet and do a mini-mash with it? My plan is to use about 14-16oz in the recipe, if I have to mash I plan on using 2 1/4lb of maris. (posted in extract as well).

If I do mash, can I do a single infusion at 150-155 for 60 min? Does the maris and biscuit have enough d.power to convert? Should I also add my other steeping grains with it or just do a regular steep for those?

So here is my issue, planning a fat tire clone and I really want to nail the biscuit flavor. Since it is an unconverted grain will I get enough flavor from it to get what I want or do I really need to bit the bullet and do a mini-mash with it?

Yes, and frankly doing the mini-mash is not that much work beyond a simple steep.

If I do mash, can I do a single infusion at 150-155 for 60 min?

Yes, but 150-152F would be better IMO.

Does the maris and biscuit have enough d.power to convert?

Yes.

Should I also add my other steeping grains with it...?

Absolutely.

Back