Wort Transformation Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmallet63

Reaction score
My homebrew club is doing a wort transformation competition, where a local brewery is brewing up a batch of wort, and all participants will then take home 5-ish gallons and do what they want to it. The wort being brewed is going to be around 1.050, 25 IBUs and will consist of mostly 2 row and a touch of C20. I'm planning on going a saison route, and was going to add another 1-1.5 lbs of grain to give it a little more depth and character.
If I add the additional crushed grain in a sack into the heated wort (around 150-152) and mash/steep for another 30-60 minutes, would this be the optimal way to extract the starches from the grain? I haven't added grain to wort like this since my extract days, many years ago. I had also thought about doing it separately in a gallon or so of water and boiling it down to a near syrup consistency, but that'd be harder to regulate the temp on, given how small it would be.

Cheers!

Greetings, @rmallet63! Welcome to the forums at homebrewtalk.com! :mug:

IBUs implies the wort was boiled, which in turn means any saccharification enzymes have been denatured, so added unconverted starches will not be converted to sugars - fermentable or not. You would need to add those enzymes to convert your added grains, or if those grains are malted, you could conduct a "mini-mash" and when that's completed you can lauter the wort and add it to what your club provided...

Cheers!

KISS. Apply that principle and you might have the best beer out there. Everyone else is going to be dry hopping all sorts of different hops in it and coming up with some nasty combos and maybe some that are good.

Just put it in the FV and pitch your favorite yeast. Do nothing else till it's done. Then just bottle/keg and submit it to the group for tasting.

KISS. Apply that principle and you might have the best beer out there. Everyone else is going to be dry hopping all sorts of different hops in it and coming up with some nasty combos and maybe some that are good.

Just put it in the FV and pitch your favorite yeast. Do nothing else till it's done. Then just bottle/keg and submit it to the group for tasting.
Was here to say exactly this. If anything, I would take it one further and lager it then clear it if you have time.

Back