DC Area Group Buy #11

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, looks like there was some sort of miscommunication...Moyaone Brew was going to pick up my remaining bag of Vienna for me from 3 stars but looks like sweetcell now has all remaining bags. Was 3 stars putting pressure on folks to take everything? I just hadn't made arrangements with anyone to pickup so am a bit surprised.

Sweetcell, I've PM'd you to arrange a time to pick up this weekend. Thanks.

Sweetcell, I'm too new to be able to PM you, apparently, but I'm the guy picking up that Vienna bag for Avocado-Power, and need to somehow get the address. Ideally Sunday, between 2:00-7:00.

Sweetcell, I'm too new to be able to PM you, apparently, but I'm the guy picking up that Vienna bag for Avocado-Power, and need to somehow get the address. Ideally Sunday, between 2:00-7:00.

I think you need 5 posts first to enable pm. Post something here... 3 more times.

BTW, sweetcell's email address is on the last tab of the spreadsheet. Avocado_Power can send that to you. :mug:

Hi all, looks like there was some sort of miscommunication...Moyaone Brew was going to pick up my remaining bag of Vienna for me from 3 stars but looks like sweetcell now has all remaining bags. Was 3 stars putting pressure on folks to take everything? I just hadn't made arrangements with anyone to pickup so am a bit surprised.

Sweetcell, I've PM'd you to arrange a time to pick up this weekend. Thanks.

Yea, definite miscommunication. I didn't see anything saying that you or someone was picking up for you. There were a lot of posts the last few days with trying to figure this all out. I also posted here, multiple times, that any bags that weren't picked up before I went to 3 Stars would be taken to Tony's. That was always the case and was communicated to everyone from Tony when it was known that the bags would be delivered and I would be picking them up.

I apologize that it caused you an inconvenience.

Wow if folks are schlepping stuff to Alexandria, my dad would happily pick up from there to save himself a trip all the way in. Otherwise he'll drive to 3 stars and pick up the one bag (as well as anyone else's bag who might live in southern MD).

Sounds like folks are coalescing on Friday after work? Also re-echoing what others have said about logistics for pickup, we'll watch this space for further instructions on that.

Yea, definite miscommunication. I didn't see anything saying that you or someone was picking up for you. There were a lot of posts the last few days with trying to figure this all out. I also posted here, multiple times, that any bags that weren't picked up before I went to 3 Stars would be taken to Tony's. That was always the case and was communicated to everyone from Tony when it was known that the bags would be delivered and I would be picking them up.

I apologize that it caused you an inconvenience.

@Avocado_Power: I'm glad your dad caught that in time before heading out.

We should realize these forums are very linear, thus limiting collaboration, group efforts, and collating multiple inputs.

In an effort to coordinate at least something, yesterday at 8am I started a post containing the running summary of all the back orders and who was going to pick up what for whom.

Since there was no direct communication anyone was going to pick up your order at 3 Stars or change the routing to someone else, it was slated for delivery to Tony/stonebrewer (with a stop at sweetcell's). Although that post was long and quite prominent, it's easy to miss something that crucial.

Glad it worked out, phew!

So, I'll get:

Weyermann Pilsner - whole sack (CervezaMaLa)

Crisp Finest Maris Otter - whole sack (DrunkleJon's)

Crisp Finest Maris Otter - whole sack (burning_ties)

Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner - whole sack (burning_ties)

Weyermann Lt. Munich - whole sack to be split as follows:

Lt. Munich 20 (CervezaMaLa)

Lt. Munich 20 (burning_ties)

Lt. Munich 15 (AfroHopster)

Weyerman Vienna - whole sack to be split as follows:

Vienna 30 Jeanne

Vienna 20 burning_ties

Vienna 5 CervezaMaLa (I'll shoot Island Lizard the $ as soon as I get home)

6 sacks out of the way and no splits at 3 Stars...I'll be up there in the next hour.

Alright CervezaMaLa, I'll send you an email about getting my share from you. Thanks!

We should realize these forums are very linear, thus limiting collaboration, group efforts, and collating multiple inputs.
Although that post was long and quite prominent, it's easy to miss something that crucial.

Glad it worked out, phew!

This moved me to "follow" you. I see reddskinnfan has also. I hope I don't regret it.

Last edited:
This moved me to "follow" you. I see reddskinnfan has also. I hope I don't regret it.

That sounds scary. Should I now watch my steps more carefully?

Seriously, I have no clue what "following" someone means or does. I didn't get many of the last few days of messages from this thread in my email box, and I suspect others didn't get either. How else would anyone know there was recent activity?

At least I check in every day, as many of the regulars do, and found a slew of posts about alternative pick-ups. I even missed the post from this guy who had picked up his own bag at 3 Stars on Thursday, until I started scrolling back to compile the list of back orders.

Sorry I missed the communications on this. Work was insane this week. Whoever has my sack of pils, I can get it anywhere next weekend (maybe tomorrow if there is a thaw/melt)

Hey redskinsfan no worries as we were able to get in touch with sweetcell. Everyone here including you was acting in what they thought was in everyone else's best interests. The thread did become chaotic and confusing when figuring out the supplemental pickup. However, the initial order and pickup couldn't have been better. Cheers to stonebrewer and islandlizard for their volunteered time and patience with BSG, 3 stars, and all of us HBTers!

Hey redskinsfan no worries as we were able to get in touch with sweetcell. Everyone here including you was acting in what they thought was in everyone else's best interests. The thread did become chaotic and confusing when figuring out the supplemental pickup. However, the initial order and pickup couldn't have been better. Cheers to stonebrewer and islandlizard for their volunteered time and patience with BSG, 3 stars, and all of us HBTers!

All good, bud. We all are just trying to do what's right.

Until next time.

Mike/Frits/Andre: Thanks for getting this done while I was on travel!! I was in a place without cell or internet access, so I could not read the forum until now...had a LOT to catch up on! I am gonna try to get ahold of sweetcell tonight and pickup the remaining grain.

You can PM me to arrange pickup, or I can hold until next buy. Prefer to get most of it outta my house as I am renovating (putting in hardwood floors on the 2nd floor) so my spaces are all cluttered with construction stuff and rooms have been ripped apart to get the flooring in. That said, happy to hang on to it to keep people from going way outta the way...

Thanks again guys!!

Snagged 4 sacks from sweetcell last night. Avocado_Power's dad picked up his sack of Vienna at Andre's house. Hopefully I can get my computer back up and running tonight (ARGH!) so that I can figure out what needs to happen with the rest. Cheers!

Snagged 4 sacks from sweetcell last night. Avocado_Power's dad picked up his sack of Vienna at Andre's house. Hopefully I can get my computer back up and running tonight (ARGH!) so that I can figure out what needs to happen with the rest. Cheers!

I kept a running tab of all decisions made regarding pick ups and splits.
AFAIK the information here is up to date.

For everyone:
We still have 10# of Vienna and 20# of Munich to sell. Who wants some? Pay me, and I'll refund emyers. Those grains are at stonebrewer's.

Frits: Did you adjust the spreadsheet to show the changes to splits due to CervezaMaLa?

Vienna 30 Jeanne
Vienna 20 burning_ties

I am thinking no, based on there being six sacks that are on the sheet that need to be split instead of 3? I will try to update the sheet tomorrow with the above so I can figure out the remaining splits. Boy this got confusing fast!! :confused::);)

Frits: Did you adjust the spreadsheet to show the changes to splits due to CervezaMaLa?

Vienna 30 Jeanne
Vienna 20 burning_ties

I am thinking no, based on there being six sacks that are on the sheet that need to be split instead of 3? I will try to update the sheet tomorrow with the above so I can figure out the remaining splits. Boy this got confusing fast!! :confused::);)

Those amounts are reflected in the spreadsheet. Cerveza took the 2 bags and they are for those splits above ^^. All the other splits must come out of 3 of the bags you have.

Just disregard how the various are being cut, the amounts is what matters, regardless what bag they're coming from.

Now I don't know who has Masonjax's 20# of Munich. My guess is, Mike didn't take that with him. If so, it's with you, but not sure. If you have whole bags, then it's with you.

Those amounts are reflected in the spreadsheet. Cerveza took the 2 bags and they are for those splits above ^^. All the other splits must come out of 3 of the bags you have.

Just disregard how the various are being cut, the amounts is what matters, regardless what bag they're coming from.

Now I don't know who has Masonjax's 20# of Munich. My guess is, Mike didn't take that with him. If so, it's with you, but not sure. If you have whole bags, then it's with you.

Yup, I need Masonjax, ErikN and 4minmile.

Yup, I need Masonjax, ErikN and 4minmile.

@stonebrewer, @reddskinnfan, and @CervezaMaLa:
Just in case, in the Splits Tab you can find the amounts each gets under their respective names, of course.

Please Note:
I re-arranged the distribution of those back order splits according to where the sacks are currently stored, e.g., @ Cerveza's or @ Tony's, to make a bit easier.

Also refer to my Running Tab Post for who gets what.

@stonebrewer, @reddskinnfan, and @CervezaMaLa:
Just in case, in the Splits Tab you can find the amounts each gets under their respective names, of course.

Please Note:
I re-arranged the distribution of those back order splits according to where the sacks are currently stored, e.g., @ Cerveza's or @ Tony's, to make a bit easier.

Also refer to my Running Tab Post for who gets what.

Please edit to include me picking up splits for ErikN and 4minmile. I already am picking up for Masonjax.

Tony,

How do you wanna work out me getting these splits?

Please edit to include me picking up splits for ErikN and 4minmile. I already am picking up for Masonjax.

Tony,

How do you wanna work out me getting these splits?

Done.

The ones who can pick up from Mike are in Magenta.
The ones who can pick up from Tony are in Brown.
The ones who can pick up from CervezaMaLa are in Blue.

Summaries are on the bottom of that post.

Thanks Frits!! Makes it a lot easier for me now that you rearranged, which is what I was trying (badly) to say in my post...

Mike: I can knock out the splits any night this week. I have something THUR night. I am watching the kids FRI night, but will be home. Other than that I think I should be around. I think I have something this weekend, but gotta ask SWMBO...will do so tonight and update this post.

Thanks Frits!! Makes it a lot easier for me now that you rearranged, which is what I was trying (badly) to say in my post...

Mike: I can knock out the splits any night this week. I have something THUR night. I am watching the kids FRI night, but will be home. Other than that I think I should be around. I think I have something this weekend, but gotta ask SWMBO...will do so tonight and update this post.

I am helping CaptainAl with something tonight, hopefully. Could swing by Thursday or Friday to pick up. Saturday and Sunday are out

If you're tracking completed pickups for any reason:

COMPLETED
burning_ties
Lt. Munich 20#
Vienna 20#
Crisp Finest Maris Otter - whole sack
Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner - whole sack

CervezaMaLa
Lt. Munich 20#
Vienna 5#
Weyermann Pilsner - whole sack

DrunkleJon

Jeanne
Vienna 30#

PENDING
AfroHopster
Lt. Munich 15#

I am definitely available FRI night and most of the day SUN. SAT is unlikely unless it is early in the day, say 9-noon. I am out THUR night at a company function and unsure when I will be home.

I am indisposed tomorrow. What does your week, next week, look like? I Telework on Wednesday and Thursday, so could be to Rockville shortly after work (around 4pm).

My week is hectic as it always is. :(

I work until a minimum of 6:30PM each day, so if you want to meet up before we will have to do it at work, near Fernwood RD of Democracy.

rice is an adjunct used quite often because it is much cheaper than malted barley.

Most asian beers I have tasted I would characterize as Light bodied highly carbonated with little or no Malt or hop flavor. It would not surprise me if a good majority of the grain bill was indeed rice or rice sugars.

I spent a year in Korea and I am basing my opinion on the two brands they had to offer Hite and OB.

Is everything already split up?

If you're tracking completed pickups for any reason:

COMPLETED
burning_ties
Lt. Munich 20#
Vienna 20#
Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner - whole sack

CervezaMaLa
Lt. Munich 20#
Vienna 5#
Weyermann Pilsner - whole sack

DrunkleJon

Jeanne
Vienna 30#

PENDING
AfroHopster
Lt. Munich 15#

Thank you for reporting back and hats off to you for handling those accounts. :rockin:

I think we all agree to never want to deal with distributing back orders anymore. To the point where we should postpone a scheduled pick up until the shipped orders have arrived.

I didn't purchase anything on the last buy, but it sounds like managing this is a complete pain in the ass without any pay. You guys are generous with your time! :mug:

OK, I know the weather has not cooperated, but I need to start thinning out the garage a little. reddskinnfan: I will split the Munich and Vienna tomorrow for the folks you are picking up for. Let me know when it is convenient for ya to pick up. hannibalmdq, German_HB_Balt, and kisejohn let me know what you want to do. robfar I will bring your 11 pounds of Munich to the next buy.

We need to get someone to take 30 pounds of grain...10 Vienna and 20 Light Munich. Who wants it?

Apologies if my questions have been answered...been a busy week!

Cheers all!
Tony

Sorry, my son brought home a stomach bug from daycare and I got knocked out for a couple of days. I wanted to pick up early this week. The weather looks pretty bad the next two days but if you are okay with it I will commit to a Friday lunchtime or PM pickup.

OK, I know the weather has not cooperated, but I need to start thinning out the garage a little. reddskinnfan: I will split the Munich and Vienna tomorrow for the folks you are picking up for. Let me know when it is convenient for ya to pick up. hannibalmdq, German_HB_Balt, and kisejohn let me know what you want to do. robfar I will bring your 11 pounds of Munich to the next buy.

We need to get someone to take 30 pounds of grain...10 Vienna and 20 Light Munich. Who wants it?

Apologies if my questions have been answered...been a busy week!

Cheers all!
Tony

Back