Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My experience has been 4-5 weeks in the bottle it'll go from green beer to finished beer rather dramatically.

YMMV depending on OG and yeast strain/pitch rate.

Awesome thanks!!! I have enough for two batches this summer. I'm going to do one with Kolsch and one with American Ale yeast.

Is it possible to find Flaked Corn at the Grocery store? I already have the 2row, hops, and yeast so it would be nice if I could avoid another trip to the home brew shop and just stop by the grocery store to get flaked corn and rice

Doing the finishing touches to my new electric brew rig. This will be my first all grain attempt. Trying to convert my 23 year old son from Bud Light, thinking this will do it. Getting the camlocks from Bobby at brew hardware, then I'll be ready to brew. Any tips to help the day go smooth?

Have a homebrew!

Is it possible to find Flaked Corn at the Grocery store? I already have the 2row, hops, and yeast so it would be nice if I could avoid another trip to the home brew shop and just stop by the grocery store to get flaked corn and rice

My homebrew shop is closer than the grocery store.

I'm not sure if your grocery store will have any mine doesn't. Just corn flakes. And I don't think that will work

WhiteDog87 said:

I don't think you can use corn flakes. Flaked corn looks different then corn flakes. I think people have used instant grits instead of flaked corn though.

AVOID a trip to the homebrew shop?

I was there twice this week already and I live in LA so traffic is hell, especially trying to get there on a friday evening. Looks like I will be going there anyways though since the store most likely has no flaked corn. Though using corn flakes is very tempting all though Im sure it will produce different results

chrislzh said:
Hi.. I am still new into home brew. Can anyone help to provide the recipe in a 20L brew?

20L = 5.3 gallons so I'd just use the 5.5gallon recipe listed earlier in this thread:

5.5lbs Pale Malt (2-row)
2.5lbs Flaked Corn
1lbs Flaked Rice (or Minute Rice)

.5oz Willemette (60min)
.5oz Crystal (60min)

Everything else should be the same (90min mash @152, 90min boil).

If someone wants to double check that, I'd appreciate it. Im on my phone and I'm working from memory.

Assuming that's correct I'm actually brewing this today! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

20L = 5.3 gallons so I'd just use the 5.5gallon recipe listed earlier in this thread:

5.5lbs Pale Malt (2-row)
2.5lbs Flaked Corn

.5oz Willemette (60min)
.5oz Crystal (60min)

Everything else should be the same (90min mash @152, 90min boil).

If someone wants to double check that, I'd appreciate it. Im on my phone and I'm working from memory.

Assuming that's correct I'm actually brewing this today! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

That's correct. And at 5.3 gallon instead of 5.5 the difference is negligible.

This is my summer go to beer and I have no clue how many batches I have brewed. I have 3 batches in various stages right now getting ready for this summer and can not wait to start drinking them :mug:

Hehe matter of fact I am helping a buddy move today so I am thinking I will go ahead and take a case over even though there is still snow going on

Thanks for the conversion. Really appreciate that. I will plan and get ready to start this brew soon

Bottled 5 gallons of this brew this afternoon. This time I used three additions of Centennial spreading one ounce over 60, 15 and 5 minutes. The hydro sample tasted great!

Had a pleasant brew day yesterday. No major problems. Mash temps held fine, had an OG of 1.048, and the airlock is bubbling this morning!

This brew is amazing. Just 24 hours in the bottle and already dropping clear!

Don't worry about the clear bottle. I've got a few I use so I can see the beer as it clears. I condition in a basement storage room. Kept dark at 65deg and lit by only one incandescent 60w light bulb while I'm in there.

Need some help here from singapore.

In singapore there is no flake rice or minute rice. Is there any substitute for it?

chrislzh said:
Need some help here from singapore.

In singapore there is no flake rice or minute rice. Is there any substitute for it?

Pretty sure you can just use cooked rice.

Hi Rossi46. Thanks for the recommendation. So do I put in the cooked rice or uncooked rice grains?

Not just cooked rice but gelatainized rice. You have to cook the ever loving crap out of it. I did it once and figured it was much easier using instant rice

As far as yeast goes I used coopers forever with this but just switched to notty for a batch and am going to use that now. Nice clean tasting yeast.

You will basically be performing a double mash, one for the cereal and the other for the rest of the grist. To gelatinize the cereal grains:

First mill your adjuncts, either rice or corn, to a very fine grist (think grits). For rice it's probably better to use a coffee mill than a grain mill. To the milled adjunct you will be adding about 10-20% of the total malted barley in the recipe. The enzymes in this addition will help break down the starches. It's best to use high-enzyme malts such as domestic 6-row or domestic 2-row because the adjuncts will be diluting the total enzyme concentrations of your mash. British ale malts just don't have enough enzymes to produce acceptable American lagers and aren't recommended.
Next, add heated brewing water at a ratio of 2-3 quarts per pound (4-6 liters per kilogram) to reach a mash temperature of about 158° F (70° C) which represents a temperature that will mash both corn and rice, and hold it there for about 15 minutes. If you are using adjuncts other than corn or rice, or want to be more exact, here are the gelatinization temperatures of the usual adjuncts you will want to use (choose your own mash temperature):
Barley 140-150° F (60-65° C)
Wheat 136-147° F (58-64° C)
Rye 135-158° F (57-70° C)
Oats 127-138° F (53-59° C)
Corn (Maize) 143-165°F (62-74° C)
Rice 154-172° F (68-78° C)
Now, bring the mash up to a gentle boil and boil for about 20 minutes or up to 30 minutes (until the mash breaks down and coats the back of your spoon) stirring constantly so the mash doesn't scorch.
Now the question is, how to add the cereal back to the main mash. There are several options here. Normally when doing a double mash, you would start your main mash and be at the protein rest when the cereal is through. Adding the cereal and more hot water should get the main mash up to the saccharification rest temperature. You will have to use the decoction formulas to determine the amount of water to add or just wing it and stop adding water when you reach your target temp. Or, you can do both mashes in the main mash tun. First do your cereal mash. Add cool water to cool the cereal mash to the first temperature rest (if doing a multiple-step infusion mash or decoction) or to ambient temperature, then add the rest of your grist and water to bring the mash up to saccharification rest temperature. Evidently some experimentation or adjustments on the fly will be necessary for the first few cereal mashes you do.

If you don't think the cereal mash is much fun, do what I do, buy flaked grains that are pre-gelatinized and don't require the separate cereal mash.

References: Information for the article on cereal mashing was adapted from How to Brew by John J. Palmer and The Home Brewer's Answer Book-solutions to every problem, answers to every question by Ashton Lewis.

http://www.winning-homebrew.com/cereal-mash.html

It was a royal pain in the butt. But saying that I did another brew with potatoes the other day and just boiled the crap out of them and dumped the spuds and water right into my mash. I tried a bottle of it and it was pretty good

http://www.winning-homebrew.com/cereal-mash.html

It was a royal pain in the butt. But saying that I did another brew with potatoes the other day and just boiled the crap out of them and dumped the spuds and water right into my mash. I tried a bottle of it and it was pretty good

Hi. Does that means that I can't throw in all the grains and start mashing? I am using the Braumeister 20L for this brew.

5.5lbs Pale Malt (2-row)
2.5lbs Flaked Corn

Or I need to follow these steps:

First mill your adjuncts, either rice or corn, to a very fine grist (think grits). For rice it's probably better to use a coffee mill than a grain mill. To the milled adjunct you will be adding about 10-20% of the total malted barley in the recipe. The enzymes in this addition will help break down the starches. It's best to use high-enzyme malts such as domestic 6-row or domestic 2-row because the adjuncts will be diluting the total enzyme concentrations of your mash. British ale malts just don't have enough enzymes to produce acceptable American lagers and aren't recommended.
Next, add heated brewing water at a ratio of 2-3 quarts per pound (4-6 liters per kilogram) to reach a mash temperature of about 158° F (70° C) which represents a temperature that will mash both corn and rice, and hold it there for about 15 minutes. If you are using adjuncts other than corn or rice, or want to be more exact, here are the gelatinization temperatures of the usual adjuncts you will want to use (choose your own mash temperature):
Barley 140-150° F (60-65° C)
Wheat 136-147° F (58-64° C)
Rye 135-158° F (57-70° C)
Oats 127-138° F (53-59° C)
Corn (Maize) 143-165°F (62-74° C)
Rice 154-172° F (68-78° C)
Now, bring the mash up to a gentle boil and boil for about 20 minutes or up to 30 minutes (until the mash breaks down and coats the back of your spoon) stirring constantly so the mash doesn't scorch.
Now the question is, how to add the cereal back to the main mash. There are several options here. Normally when doing a double mash, you would start your main mash and be at the protein rest when the cereal is through. Adding the cereal and more hot water should get the main mash up to the saccharification rest temperature. You will have to use the decoction formulas to determine the amount of water to add or just wing it and stop adding water when you reach your target temp. Or, you can do both mashes in the main mash tun. First do your cereal mash. Add cool water to cool the cereal mash to the first temperature rest (if doing a multiple-step infusion mash or decoction) or to ambient temperature, then add the rest of your grist and water to bring the mash up to saccharification rest temperature. Evidently some experimentation or adjustments on the fly will be necessary for the first few cereal mashes you do.

If you don't think the cereal mash is much fun, do what I do, buy flaked grains that are pre-gelatinized and don't require the separate cereal mash.

References: Information for the article on cereal mashing was adapted from How to Brew by John J. Palmer and The Home Brewer's Answer Book-solutions to every problem, answers to every question by Ashton Lewis.

Nope just toss them in your mash if they are flaked already. Only time you need a cereal mash is if you are using raw grains. I have found it much easier to use instant rice and instant grits when I make this recipe and it is much cheaper than buying flaked stuff from a LHBS.

But I will say rice hulls are your friend to avoid stuck sparges whenever using adjunct grain. I know some do not use it but getting caught by the wife with your drain tube in your mouth blowing backwards trying to unclog a stuck sparge sucks.

Nope just toss them in your mash if they are flaked already. Only time you need a cereal mash is if you are using raw grains. I have found it much easier to use instant rice and instant grits when I make this recipe and it is much cheaper than buying flaked stuff from a LHBS.

But I will say rice hulls are your friend to avoid stuck sparges whenever using adjunct grain. I know some do not use it but getting caught by the wife with your drain tube in your mouth blowing backwards trying to unclog a stuck sparge sucks.

I think the proper word is blows :ban:

Back