Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed this on Saturday. Used Pilsen instead of 2row and used White Labs San Fran Lager yeast. It's fermenting away nicely right now, SG was a little higher than expected though at 1.056...efficiency was 87%

So I have some East Coast Ale Yeast that I need to use up in the fridge. Would this work for this beer? I see that WL rates it 2/4 for american cream ales but if the consensus it that it will be fine then I'll start brewing away.

I have found it much easier to use instant rice and instant grits when I make this recipe and it is much cheaper than buying flaked stuff from a LHBS.

Do you use the same weights for instant rice and instant grits as you would for the flaked rice and flaked corn?

Ibrewaletx said:
Do you use the same weights for instant rice and instant grits as you would for the flaked rice and flaked corn?

You should, as long as they are both dry weights there is no difference. Starch weighs the same wether gelatinized into flakes or "meal". They will contribute equally to your OG if utilized fully in the mash.

Just so you know there is no reason to use rice that I know of except to raise sugar level for alcohol without changing the beer . The rice adds the sugar and does not mess with mouth feel or taste without thinning it out like corn or table sugar . Use generic minute rice . It is a couple bucks for about 2 pounds I think it is . A whole lot cheaper than minute rice . Do not cook the minute rice . It has already been cooked and only needs to be mashed .
\
edit
Grits may add in some flavor I would think since they are corn and actually have a bit of flavor unlike rice . Grits are usually alkali treated so they have some flavor from that process . Other than that they are nothing but ground corn

that is my two cents ...your mileage may differ

I am not sure if I agree with the rice thing. I just tapped a keg with this but this time I used the generic walmart minute rice. Last time I used cooked rice from a rice cooker and there is definately a difference. It is still good but different. Temps of the mash were +/- 1 degree so dont think that was an issue. OG was the 1.048 and the last batch was 1.045. I link the slight increase to my increased crush with my mill.

Just so you know there is no reason to use rice that I know of except to raise sugar level for alcohol without changing the beer . The rice adds the sugar and does not mess with mouth feel or taste without thinning it out like corn or table sugar . Use generic minute rice . It is a couple bucks for about 2 pounds I think it is . A whole lot cheaper than minute rice . Do not cook the minute rice . It has already been cooked and only needs to be mashed .
\
edit
Grits may add in some flavor I would think since they are corn and actually have a bit of flavor unlike rice . Grits are usually alkali treated so they have some flavor from that process . Other than that they are nothing but ground corn

that is my two cents ...your mileage may differ

shadyj said:
So I have some East Coast Ale Yeast that I need to use up in the fridge. Would this work for this beer? I see that WL rates it 2/4 for american cream ales but if the consensus it that it will be fine then I'll start brewing away.

Bump

Hi. I am going to make this shortly. I will be fermenting in the 62 f range because i will be fermenting it next to a cali common. Would you recommend Nottingham or safeale us 05 or something else besides kolsch...that stuff won't floc.

Hi. I am going to make this shortly. I will be fermenting in the 62 f range because i will be fermenting it next to a cali common. Would you recommend Nottingham or safeale us 05 or something else besides kolsch...that stuff won't floc.

I'll be using 05 this weekend.

yep , check the faucet in your kitchen . Okay mine is terrible tasting in summer so I use spring water from the store with no additives . Always makes good beer

6 lbs 6-row
2 lbs flaked corn
1/2 lb flaked rice
14 g willamette
14 g crystal

30 min protein
90 min sach

7 gal pre boil
5.75 gal into fermenter
60 min boil

The one time I was wanting a low ABV I come in high.

image-349548408.jpg

image-3262961247.jpg

Would it hurt here if I evened up the rice and corn? How would this affect the final beer? Too dry? Thanks

Would it hurt here if I evened up the rice and corn? How would this affect the final beer? Too dry? Thanks

I switched the volumes on the rice and corn to suit my tastes. That is the thing with this beer that is so good. You can change it up and still have great beer

Currently mashing this beer in my braumeister 20l. Smells great.

Just wondering, how do you guys carbonate the beer eventually.

Force co2 or freeze the wort for nature carbonation?

If I want to do a nature carbonation for 20l. How much wort should I keep?

Currently mashing this beer in my braumeister 20l. Smells great.

Just wondering, how do you guys carbonate the beer eventually.

Force co2 or freeze the wort for nature carbonation?

If I want to do a nature carbonation for 20l. How much wort should I keep?
Based on your post, I'll try to clarify some things as there appears to be some confusion.

First, freezing the wort will not create carbonation. Wort is the sugary liquid from malted barley prior to yeast being added. Basically, the "beer" before there is yeast.

You're already mashing the grains, so you then separate the wort from the grain, boil the wort, add hops, cool the wort, add yeast and aerate, let the yeast ferment the sugary wort. Once fermentation is complete, there are two ways to carbonate the beer. One, is to mix priming sugar into the beer and bottle. This is called natural carbonation or bottle conditioning. In this method, the sugar acts as a food source for the remaining yeast. The yeast consume the sugar which creates CO2 as a by product. Since the beer is capped in a bottle, the CO2 cannot escape and carbonation occurs. There should be a thin layer of yeast that settles to the bottom of the bottle. The other option is to carbonate the beer under pressure. This is accomplished by sealing the beer in a keg and adding CO2 from a CO2 tank.

I hope this helps. :mug:

I thought the same thing at first.

But I think he sets aside some unfermented wort after the boil, and then uses that instead of priming sugar to carbonate the beer.

Haha, I obviously did not pick that up in my post, good point. I thought the poster believed that freezing the wort would some how carbonate it which I found really puzzling. My apologies to chrislzh for misinterpreting their post.

I suppose you can save some wort to use as an alternative to priming sugar, but that seems like a waste of good wort and I'm not sure how much you'd want to set aside. I guess if you're trying to follow the reinheitsgebot that would matter, but this recipe uses corn and one minute rice. But to answer the original question, most people either prime with sugar, usually dextrose (corn sugar), but other sugars, or dry malt extract may also be used. Or, they carbonate in the keg. Those are the two most popular methods of carbonation.

Thanks Jsledd for the clarification. That's what I meant keeping the unfermented wort for later use for carbonation into the keg after primary fermentation is completed.

Just finished my 20l brew. Og is at 1.040. Seems everything is great and in place. Placed in a chiller set at 64F for primary fermentation.

Would like to ask how much Dextrose should I use for 19l -20l of fermented wort for carbonation. Any calculation?

Tastes great. It's been in the keezer on gas for about 4 weeks now. It's keeps getting better. It really cleared up on week 3.

Primary fermentor is in the chiller but airlock is not bubbling. Any issues?

What temp is the chiller set to? How much yeast did you pitch? Did you make a starter for the yeast? How long has it been since you pitched the yeast?

Everyone loved this one last summer when I made it - I think the keg lasted all of 3 weeks... Gonna make up my first double batch of it next weekend. Half of that should get us ready for part of the summer, the other half will be available, likely mildly dry-hopped (variety TBD, but I'm thinking Citra or Amarillo) at my club's table at NHC). Figure I'll have to make another batch up in June to get us the rest of the way through the summer, or the wife may not be happy!

Everyone loved this one last summer when I made it - I think the keg lasted all of 3 weeks... Gonna make up my first double batch of it next weekend. Half of that should get us ready for part of the summer, the other half will be available, likely mildly dry-hopped (variety TBD, but I'm thinking Citra or Amarillo) at my club's table at NHC). Figure I'll have to make another batch up in June to get us the rest of the way through the summer, or the wife may not3 be happy!
3 weeks? Too long! 10 gallons lasted me about 2 weeks. Well, we did have a large party. : )
This brew is definitely good for my BMC drinkers.
Happy brewing

What temp was the wort when you pitched the yeast? And did you re-hydrate the yeast, or just pitch the dry yeast directly to the wort? Assuming it was relatively close to that 64 you've got it at now, I wouldn't worry. 24 hours ramp up time isn't really outside the ordinary, especially if you didn't re-hydrate first.

Back